Charger Forums banner

Charger R/T models - Your best MPG?

3K views 25 replies 25 participants last post by  Anguish 
#1 ·
I am looking for a Charger SXT Plus because of the fuel economy. I drive 100 miles each day for work, mostly HWY. I cannot find an SXT model in my area with the features and color I want, but a nearby dealer does have an R/T Max model. My concern is fuel economy. Can anyone share real experiences with fuel economy in the R//T models? Thanks!

#4 ·
With modifications, I can get 25 on the highway. Before modifications, it was somewhere around 20. City is somewhere around 13 mpg average.

#7 ·
I get around 28 mpg on my daily commute, which is usually around 15-20 minutes of driving 60 mph on a two lane highway. However, my in town driving consists of lots of stop signs and red lights, which brings the average down to about 18-19 mpg, which was roughly what I was getting with my 07 SXT.

#10 ·
2013 R/T track pack. So far I've been averating 18-19 mpg in mostly citiy driving.

On the highway you could easily get 25mpg+ in 4 banger mode with the HEMI.

If the dealer is willing to make a deal, I say go for it as the HEMI is a ton of fun to drive.

#11 ·
2011 R/T

worst tank calculated has been 20.5mpg (21.5 on the evic) best 24.5 calculated (25.5 on the evic)

I typically fuel up with about 380 miles on a tank, with about 70 miles distance to empty.

the one highway trip it's gone on (280 miles round trip) the evic stated 26.9mpg.

others have reported all highway trips up to 27.5+ mpg in 2011 and newer chargers.

#12 ·
I average around 22 mpg, but got just shy of 29 mpg on the last long trip.

#13 ·
Not enough miles on my new car to really get a good idea due to motor breaking in but my normal base R/T with a fresh chance of 5w20 royal purple full synthetic was regularly averaging 28.4 @ 70mph over a 430 mile drive. Hand calc. Mileage didn't really start getting good until about 4000 + miles for me. Evic read over 29. (That was also without stopping so YMMV.)

#15 ·
the best i ever got on the highways was 27.6 mpg with MDS (before my tuner) my average is 14.6 with MDS off, took the tuner off, so I expect it to go up now!
Honestly I say go with what you want, if you like power, go with the RT if you want a car that will get you there and back, either one will work:bigthumb:

#16 ·
I am excited to see these numbers. I am getting my 2013 AWD R/T this weekend but currently have a V6 G8. I am only managing 20-21 mpg average. (17/25 epa estimates). I am thinking I might be able to get close to that maybe 19-20 average. I'd be happy with that considering I am gaining 150 ft. lbs of torque and better gearing.

#17 ·
I have a 2012 R/T AWD with 20" wheels and I'm averaging a solid 19-20mpg tooling around with mixed driving and 23-25mpg highway when keeping it under 70mph.

I'm VERY pleased with the mileage of my car.

#18 ·
All these numbers are subject to driving style. From what I see it looks as though everyone drives like a little old lady! My commute is 30 miles each direction with 15 on the HWY and 15 in town. I averaged 19 before mods, no one beats me off the lights or passes me on the HWY!!! :D

#19 ·
I was getting better MPG with the stock 2010 R/T than the 2008 3.5L

I averaged about 22-25 mixed, with a best highway of 29mpg.

I changed out the torque converter and switched the rear gears to 3.06 from 2.65, now I get about 18mpg :(

#21 ·
2012 R/T here with the 2.65 gears. I am getting 19 MPG in city/suburban driving and I DO NOT drive like an old lady LOL. On the highway I get 31 MPG if I keep my speed at 65 MPH which I admit is not very often. Upper 20s is realistic though at around 70-75 MPH.

In the city I am getting 3 MPG better than I did with my G8 GT, a car with similar weight and HP. I am very happy with my fuel mileage.

Sometimes I wonder if you really save that much on fuel with the V6. I guess it depends on your driving habits.

I thought about changing to 3.06 gears, but given the great gas mileage I am inclined not to do that mod.

GTO_04

#23 ·
For my average MPG just look at my signature... Click there and you'll see that the best MPG was 20.2 on a long trip. The last MPG was 15.4 while driving on highway half the time. The average MPG is thanks for all the traffic lights, heavy traffic and my heavy right foot... :driving:

#24 ·
To & from work (city, short trip) ~ 14.5 - 17

When I drive to Buffalo to see my parents (mixed, but constant speeds) ~ 22-25

#26 ·
My best tankful in my 2008 R/T R&T with light mods is 27.1 MPG. That was a 100% highway trip. My average after 4.5 years is 18 MPG dead on, with plenty of city driving in there. Those are real-world numbers, with every drop of gas and every mile driven tracked since the car was bought, not just EVIC estimated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.