Charger Forums banner

Other cars to shop compared to Charger 392?

6K views 49 replies 27 participants last post by  frank1966 
#1 ·
Wife and I working on some family planning and it means time to trade in my hoop-d for something more family oriented ("sweetie, you dont REALLY want our newborn riding around in THAT old thing, do you?"), perfect reason for a new car!

That being said, no freaking Caravans here. I grew up with fast cars and only recently have had a stretch without one (own a 2000 TJ Wrangler instead). I've got my fix from riding a sportbike but that will be going away soon as well....

so long story long I have a thing for the 2016 Charger 392 in B5. Not interested in the Hellcat really since I am actually a fan of all the driver assist functions of the 392 (ACC, et al). But for the sake of due diligence I would like to have something to compare it to, but that has been a struggle. Even used (~2012 and up) would be cool, but really price wise something comparable that has good performance, 4 doors, and seats 4 comfortably. Optioned out it looks like I can get into the 392 for around $55k.

I've struggled to find anything to compare it to really, at least feature-wise. Anyone have some suggestions?

#2 ·
There is nothing comparable IMHO.

Anything that gets close to the SRT 392 in performance is 30% or more in price.

But if money is no object then:

BMW 5 Series
Mercedes S Class
Cadillac CTS-V

Also; what is a "hoop-d" ??? :confused:

#3 ·
Money IS an object, but the key really was pre-owned vs. new (new being the Charger, pre-owned being anything else) because you're exactly right, I cannot find anything comparable to the 392 in the price range.

BMW and Mercedes would be nice but the maintenance scares me. I have the lifetime bumper-bumper on the wife's 2015 JGC Limited and I plan to do the same on the Charger (I don't get new cars often so if I did buy new I would probably keep it till it quit running and then have Dodge replace the motor for $100).

#8 ·
Good points.

I never think of those two because the Chevy SS (Like the most recent GTO) is not available in Canada, and the Taurus is not RWD and the horsepower is considerably less at only 365. IMO It's more of a direct competitor to the R/T and not the 392.

Reactions: GTO_04
#7 · (Edited)
Yeah those 2 have crossed my mind. I plan to check both out next weekend, but the interior of the SHO just looks tired. Maybe Sync 3 will fix that, but I have to check it out. The Chevy SS seems like a neglected car IMHO. I didn't even know it existed until I saw it on Edmunds as a suggested review when I was checking out the Charger.

#12 ·
IMO the Chevy SS is the only ride that is comparable in price and features but is lacking a bit in performance. They are easily modified with a few bolt ons with gains upwards of 40-50 rwhp. It also comes standard with the magnetic ride control which is real nice. I have read that this will be the last year of production. Here is a comparison of the older models but the same engines.

http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...s-2013-dodge-charger-srt8-392-comparison-test

#15 ·
parts will be the same as police Caprices, Holden Commodores, and the old Pontiac G8s. Plus there's talk of the Holden plant shutting down in Australia but possibly just moving Caprice production to the USA.

I just want you to know all your options and don't let the Dodge dealer make you think the Charger is the only performance sedan available at this price point.

#16 ·
I didn't bother. There was nothing else even close at that price point that ticked all of my "want it" boxes.

I don't regret my choice.

#17 ·
...something more family oriented...I have a thing for the 2016 Charger 392 in B5...I've struggled to find anything to compare it to really, at least feature-wise.
I just went through a similar process for a car that I can use as a daily driver and a back up family vehicle. My requirements were slightly different because both my kids are practically grown, so making sure there was enough room for 4 adults was a must. I looked at quite a few sedans and they didn't quite have the room I wanted. Then I tried a Charger. I was shocked by the amount of room inside one. Yes, it's "only" an SXT, but it's got plenty of umph to her and I can still improve her performance with mods. A "family sedan" with some balls...win, win. So you can't go wrong with a Charger, and the fact that you have a "Thing" for a '16 392...Do it!!! Do it now!!!

#18 ·
The thing about anything that's a "performance sedan" at this exact moment in time is that the Charger is really the only car that has the character it has. The rest of them are all more like wannabe BMW's, rather than direct competitors with Chargers. I feel like the Charger is sort of the last of the breed (along with it's Chrysler 300 cousin, to a lesser extent). WHen I was looking for what became my first Charger a couple years ago, there was just nothing that felt similar.

#19 ·
I was in your exact same boat two years ago. these guys are right I shopped and shopped and brand new there is nothing comparable for features, speed, looks and repair cost down the road with a new car warranty that will compare. And I just got the rt!! I've had more expensive and faster cars/trucks but the charger for the price is bang for buck kinda thing and for a sedan with rear leg room and a real trunk. Still have no regrets to this day, love my charger.

#21 ·
Like everyone else has said, there really is nothing that directly compares. The Charger is quite unique. A few of the YouTube video reviews I've seen say the BMW 5 series is the only thing that comes close. The Impala SS is a non-player anymore. In the good old days (well, 94 - 96), it would have been a contender. The SHO, not really in the same class. And there is just no other American car like it. In my mind, no other car like it. One YouTube video I watched kept saying stuff like "...well, it's just plain fun". Mainly referring to either the SRT or Hellcat and punching it down the road. You are just not going to find the nice rumbly feel and sound of that engine in any other car. Especially one where you can strap your kids in the carseats and go on a Sunday picnic. (Errr...anyone remember those??)

#24 ·
Already stated, but the SS is about the only thing that will compare but it's a smaller car than the Charger. Don't let the lower HP scare you away, it's runs nearly as good down the road. Quite frankly, for the price I'm not sure what compares features and power. Maybe the Audi A6, used Caddy-V

#30 ·
Already stated, but the SS is about the only thing that will compare but it's a smaller car than the Charger. Don't let the lower HP scare you away, it's runs nearly as good down the road. Quite frankly, for the price I'm not sure what compares features and power. Maybe the Audi A6, used Caddy-V
Aren't A4s about the same price as a Charger SP ? I'd think the A6 is over $50,000.

#25 ·
Just about every SS review I've read says the car is a blast to drive (more than one says it out-performs SRT Chargers) and is very well-equipped...and you can even get it in manual. But the SS's looks just absolutely kill it for me. Way way too blah. Guess if you're REALLY into a stealthy ride, then it might be your thing...but I could never get excited about an SS the way I do about my Charger. I still get positive comments on my Bee almost daily. I doubt I'd get any on an SS, outside of "Is that a different Malibu?"

The Charger is basically the ultimate family muscle car...like others have noted, nothing really quite like it...one of the most versatile rides out there. And for those who occasionally still insist on getting pissy about a "4-door Charger", shut up...Dodge already has a fine two-door model in the Challenger...no need for redundancy. The Charger fills its niche wonderfully.

#26 ·
Agree with the SS comments. It's boring. I owned a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. That to me had some style with it's aggressive looking headlights and sculpted hood scoops. I liked the integrated rear trunk spoiler and tail lights. Then Pontiac was sold and Chevy F-ed up the look. I actually sat in a 2015 last fall and they could not give it away. It was a loaded burgundy red one. Window sticker was 51k. The dealership ended up selling it for 10k below list for 41k.

Only comment on the taurus I can make is go sit in one.

#29 ·
I cross shopped the SS and the Charger Scat Pack. I liked the SS because of a manual transmission option. It had plenty of nice amenities and could fit all three of my kids in the back seat. The styling is a little bland, but I buy cars based on driving dynamics. I enjoyed driving it! I would have purchased the SS if they would have brought the price down, but I got my SP with the 392 for $42k. Chevy just couldn't get close to that number. The Charger wasn't my consolation prize. I was happy to go with either car. I like them both equally.

#31 ·
I am in the market also for a new ride and have compared all with respect to Front Shoulder Width (FSW), Rear Leg Room (RLR) and Cargo Capacity (CC). Here is what I have found and it looks as if the Charger is the largest along with the Chrysler 300. (All 4 doors)

BMW 550/M5:
FSW: 58.3
RLR: 36.1
CC: 14.0

Audi A6/S6:
FSW: 57.5
RLR: 37.4
CC: 14.1

Chevy SS:
FSW: 59.1
RLR: 39.7
CC: 16.4

Cady CTS-V:
FSW: 56.9
RLR: 35.4
CC: 13.7

Taurus SHO:
FSW: 57.9
RLR: 38.1
CC: 20.1

Mercedes E63:
FSW: 57.8
RLR: 35.8
CC: 15.9

Charger/300:
FSW: 59.5
RLR: 40.1
CC: 16.5

We drive big boats compared to some of the others. With more room in the back. I was surprised at how small the CTS-V was when I sat in the car at the dealership. Trunk was too small also.:beerchug:

#33 ·
Well said. When I owned my G8 GT I was really surprised when I parked next to a V at how much bigger the G8 was. Don't get me wrong, I like the V, especially the current version, but the Charger (whether it's a SP, 392 or Hellcat) is a much better value. And besides I can't afford a V.

Compare the SP to say a CTS-V Sport. The V-Sport (TT V6) runs around $65K IIRC while being a smaller car with about 85 HP less. NO contest!

Regarding the SHO, it is confirmed that it will still be around in 2017? I like some of the renderings I've seen, but then I read it will not be available in the US, and that Ford prefers to steer Taurus buyers toward the Fusion or an Exploder.

GTO_04

#32 ·
Heh...I remember when the Cadillac used to be the king of the luxury. Room to fit a football team in...and carry all their gear in the trunk. Now they are one of the smaller cars out there, and it's all about gizmos and stuff. I still like big cars, always have, and just have a hard time with seeing the new Cadillacs.

But that's for another place. I do like the Charger. Still big and bad.

#34 · (Edited)
I can comment on this since I had a 2015 SRT 392 for 4 months and traded it for an SS. It's a long story. Let's just say it had nothing to do with the Charger. I've owned the SS for about 3 months now and I can honestly say I enjoy driving it more than I did the SRT. It handles better, feels much lighter than it is. In addition, and it's easier to see out of. The SRT felt like I was sitting down in a hole. The SRT felt faster (it is, but not by a ton) but I think some of that had to do with the 8-speed ripping off shifts with lightning speed. I think the SRT got better gas mileage too (again, TorqueFlite FTW) and there are a bunch of small things I miss about the Charger, like:

Homelink
UConnect (MyLink is terrible)
Having no gas cap to mess with
Exhaust note
Attention (I miss this and I don't. The SS attracts a fair amount of attention as well, mostly from folks that know what it is)
Soft, leather wrapped wheel
Laguna leather
HK stereo (the stock SS system is junk)

In the end, you can't go wrong with either one. They're both awesome choices. The 2015 SS is also currently being offered at 15% off sticker if you can still find one. Good luck!

#36 · (Edited)
I hate to say this, and you're going to hate to read this, but... for a young family you absolutely cannot beat a minivan. Yes, they are FWD. Yes, they look like crap. However, they are designed to be able to get up to highway speeds with 7 adults with luggage in the car. That's an expected extra ton of weight. I had a 1996 Pontiac TransPort, and actually took a BMW M3 with it. Had the seats out at the time, just me and the wife in as we were going to a high school reunion and the kids (and extra removable seats) were left at home. The power to weight ratio can be pretty good.

The minivan is also, and this is important when you have young'uns, VERY economical. 25MPG, carry tons of kiddie crap. When you have kids, what YOU want is unimportant. What the kids need, THAT is what's important.

As far as sedans go, the Charger and the 300 are the last of the ACTUAL full size cars. The SS is a nice car, but with no VVT, no AFM and no direct injection, you get 14/20 and that's just not good. Had the SS had these things I would not be here now as I am really a GM man, but the Charger was just so amazing, here I am. The Charger is a hot looking SS, DAMNED FAST, with fuel economy. The main advantage to the SS is EFI Live, and I'm really hoping there is a Dodge version out there somewhere. EFI Live lets you, the owner, actually have more access to the computer than the dealer has although Tunercats lets you talk to the BCM that EFI won't do.

For a family, can't beat a minivan. Second choice, a 300. Third choice, the Charger. When the kids are gone, Charger ALL THE WAY.

#44 ·
I hate to say this, and you're going to hate to read this, but... for a young family you absolutely cannot beat a minivan.
Minivans are not just for a young family...they're for a family period. My kids are grown...21 and 17, and there is still plenty of room to haul everything and everyone around for family outings. I would definitely recommend a Dodge Grand Caravan for a minivan. They don't drive or feel like a minivan...and it's still MOPAR. A Charger or 300 are great alternatives...plenty of room inside, they're comfortable, and just a economical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.