Charger Forums banner

Gears

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Hemi31 
#1 ·
I'm wondering what would be the best high performance gears to put into my SRT8 Charger 2008?

#2 ·
Are you going to just track the car or daily drive it? What are your goals with the car?

#4 ·
3.55 is the best hybrid between street and track. If you want a track monster go with 3.92s.

#5 ·
Actually the best street strip gear is 3.23. The 3.55 is the best compromise on the street but will hurt at the track. For track only the 4.10 is the best but you can only get that in a Getrag. This is all based off of stock or midly modified of course.

#6 ·
Really? Thanks for the correction. I've always been told the 3.55s are the best of both worlds. Don't the stangs use 3.55s? 4.10 seems extreme, but if it's a dedicated track car then it would be the way to go.

#9 ·
Cool, I didn't know any of this!

#10 ·
Yep, if your rear gear selection causes you to grab an extra shift in the 1/4 mile, you want to make sure that it gets to the top of the power band to make it worth it.

Otherwise, stay low enough in ratio to take the previous gear shift to the top of the band without causing an additional shift.

Drag racing gear selection 101...:)

On the street, it's all about what you want to do and feel since you aren't competing with the clock or a fixed distance.

Road course is an entirely different ball game since it encompasses handling, braking acceleration and changing road dynamics.

Build for your purpose...but don't expect it to be universal.

#13 ·
Can you get this gearing in a getrag or just in an open?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.