Charger Forums banner

OSRAM/Sylvania Silver Star Bulbs are JUNK!!!!

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  4FishLimit 
#1 ·
Been a long time Sylvania Silver Star user with the only problem of them burning out in 12 months or less. I had a fog light bulb go out in March. Replaced in pairs per Sylvania since they lose 20% output in a year again per Sylvania. So I replaced them and they melted BOTH my foglights from the inside out. I still had the packaging, reciept, everything. Called Osram Sylvania and they told me to get an estimate and send in the bulbs. I had to replace both the foglights either way so I bought new ones and sent everything to them. They claimed to have to test the bulbs for faults. I get a call from their insurance company stating there is no problem with the bulbs (ofcourse) :rolleyes2: and that they are not going to replace my lights... I asked them how would they melt the lights if they were not bad bulbs? She says install error. Those of us that have replaced fog light bulbs know that they can only be put in one way. They can only be plugged in one way. There is no way that it could be an install error period and the right bulbs were used for the fog lights.

Stay away from Osram/Sylvania!!! Their quality has gone down hill and they are no better now than those cheap chinese bulbs you find on ebay !!!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
FWIW, Dodge has cheapened up the fog light housings... the 2010's use a remarkably lower wattage bulb now... 24W. What year car did this happen to?

Hmmm... 07 SRT8, this shouldn't have happened to you. My bad.

#5 ·
I'm aware of the life expectancy. It was the melting of foglights that I'm upset over.

I have been thinking about HID's but nervous because a number have posted with burn out issues, flickering and electrical problems with HID's. I stuck with Sylvania's because they use to be quality and never a problem until they melted my foglights. Now they are junk. If anybody can recommend a quality HID kit where I wont have issues with for lows and fogs I'd appreciate it :beerchug:

#7 ·
This last set was my third and now my last. I never had a problem before with them and if they would have paid for my foglights since their bulbs melted them I probably still would be using them. I hope yours are ok. The last set that caused this were bought in March.

#9 ·
I must be in the minority, the set of Silverstar Ultra's I bought 2 years ago are going still going strong in my wife's Grand Cherokee. However, I do plan on going HID in the near future.

Besides, everyone knows all the cool kids are going with LED's for their foglights now lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.