Charger Forums banner

Dodge Charger 2013 coolant temperature help!!

45K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Chargergirl01 
#1 ·
Dears,

My dodge charger 2014 standard 3.5L i just bought it having 37000 Miles on it. It has coolant temperature fluctuates between 210 F to 219 F and at 221F the both fans starts. It goes up and down in a minute and it keeps on doing the same when car stops or stays idle. As the car moves it sometimes fall to 204F and goes up to 219F. Another note when i turned on the AC the coolant temp usually falls to 206F and goes up to 213F.

I have been trying to know hard from other dodge guys if that is normal. Shall i take it seriously. The annoying thing making me worried is the temp goes up and down fast in a minute or so. This wasn't happening with me on my Chrysler 300C 2009 model.

Please share your experience to ease my mind so i will take further step into right direction. Thanks

#2 ·
I don't believe it should be jumping around that much that quick. I'm not familiar with the 3.5L but if your worried, take it to the dealer you purchased it from and see what they have to say about it.

#3 ·
As you seem to be aware, the temp needle will rise to a specific point and stay at that point throughout your drive.

Under more harsh (hot) conditions the needle may rise to a higher point but it will normally stay at that higher point until the harsh conditions become less harsh and the needle falls back to the normal level.

Even if your radiator is low on water, the needle will rise to a very high level and stay there.

Under no conditions would a needle bounce around, unless of course the meter is faulty. At least, I have never seen such a thing.

#6 ·
Thanks for replying guys @Stevens12 I went to the dealer and they told me that when the AC is ON it is going down which is good and normal and when the AC is OFF and it is going up to 219F this is normal. That's my discussion with them only without any scan tool/physical test.
@charger_ham The needle is not bouncing. Only the digital coolant temperature is moving up and down in certain levels as i mentioned earlier.
@Mangoman I'm checking everyday these items to not run into any trouble. The overflow bottle is at cold mark since the last service done at dealer center.

#8 ·
The temperature goes up when the AC is off but down when the AC is on? This sounds to me like a temp sending unit may be faulty. The reason is, the AC requires airflow across the condenser at all times when it is on, so the AC will turn the fans on automatically when the compressor is running regardless of engine temp. It also cycles several times a minute, so it keeps the fans going. When the AC is off, the computer will turn the fans on when it detects an overtemp state. If it's overheating when the AC is off, then the engine isn't getting a correct read. On the gauge reading correctly, I know GM uses multiple temp senders, one for the gauge and one for the PCM to control temps (acts as a backup system, if the PCM sender goes bad and doesn't turn the fans on the gauge reads an overheat), and they are located on different parts of the engine. Unfortunately I don't know enough about Chryslers to say they do the same, but if one company does so I see no reason why others wouldn't.

#9 ·
@Telco I went to dealership 3 times up to know. I also talked to the supervisor here and he told me that unless the temperature crosses 224F there is nothing to worry about. He told me if the fans maintaining the max temperature in my case it's 220F and the AC is off then all is good. I don't know why they are not willing to check physically, maybe as to them everything is normal thats why. Anyhow i am thinking to take the Mopar Maximum Protection Plan that will extend my warranty up to 10/2019 or 93205Miles. That way i can just throw it to them if something went wrong.

#10 ·
Maybe you guys can help me. Bought a 2006 Charger SE, previous owner was in an accident n replace the radiator. I've had the car since February, few weeks in on a really hot day car overheated, Guage went to H n antifreeze everywhere. Noticed wires for fan weren't connected, recinfected n fan was working. Cple months goes by n I smell antifreeze n there's coolant everywhere, needle stayed in the middle. Replaced fan relay. Kept happening, each time temp Guage stayed in the middle. So replaced thermostat. Now the overflow keeps boiling when I stop the car. Oh n my heat has been working great. Yesterday after reading some forums I buy a new radiatior cap because I read if it's bad the pressure or something isn't rt n it will boil like it has been. Driving last night n took awhile for the heat to kick on then it finally did for a few mins then went cold n stayed cold. In a Lil bit I hear a ding n my Guage is on Halloween so I pull over n let it cool down. Oh also last week I put the Blue Devil Pour and Go Head Gasket Sealant thinking that may of been the problem. Anyone know what else could be the culprit?! I don't have the money to go to a mechanic rt now so I'm trying everything I can. Thanks in advance for any help.

#15 · (Edited)
Replace the plastic coolant overflow tank--it is not holding pressure. My old 2001 300M with 3.5 V6 is on it's third overflow tank--the plastic gets brittle after a few years and develops hairline cracks that don't leak too much fluid, but they don't allow it to build up the proper pressure (16psi), causing the coolant to boil. I have already replaced the tanks on my 2013 Charger and 2013 200 Limited because they were old and yellowed (couldn't see through them anymore) and starting to crack.

#13 ·
You guys are over thinking this. Start passing 230 and get it looked at. 180-220ish is a good general range for a modern ICE. Too many other cars just warm up and hot that temp range on the needle. But I can assure you the coolant is changing temps as it works to extract the heat from the block.

#14 · (Edited)
Azzy,

This is NORMAL operation, don't worry about it. Engines are much more efficient and have a lot less wear when they are hot. The coolant wont boil until 240F in a properly pressurized system(16psi), so the factory has the fans set to come on at really high temps depending on whether the A/C is on or not(low speed comes on around 208- 210 / high speed at 217-219). My 2013 V6 did the exact same thing, but when I installed the Diablo 91 tune the fans are set to come on a much lower temps--on a hot day (95-100F)with A/C on it runs 204, on a cool fall day without the A/C on it runs 195F.

#16 ·
Short fuse, rob_2n and Kraft master,

Thank you for your replies, I'm new here and just seeing these now. Sunday my friend checked the radiactor n I guess u would say flushed it out and got all of the air out. So today is Tuesday and I haven't had a problem so far! Hopefully it stays that way, if not I guess next step is to replace the overflow tank. Thank you guys so much for helping!!

And p.s. sorry I didn't realize til after that this section was for new Charger!

#17 ·
Short fuse, rob_2n and Kraft master,

Thank you for your replies, I'm new here and just seeing these now. Sunday my friend checked the radiactor n I guess u would say flushed it out and got all of the air out. So today is Tuesday and I haven't had a problem so far! Hopefully it stays that way, if not I guess next step is to replace the overflow tank. Thank you guys so much for helping!!

And p.s. sorry I didn't realize til after that this section was for new Charger!

#20 ·
I know this is an older thread. Still comes up in search. reason im posting is i had similar symptoms as op. Ended up being a cracked oil cooler. Can not see the antifreeze because its located dead center of the engine ,under the intake manifold. Common problem it seems with mopar. Just an FYI.