Charger Forums banner

The current 20% off deal on the '16s gives one pause!

11K views 77 replies 26 participants last post by  Telco 
#1 · (Edited)
Ladies and Gents:
As time moves along, I have continued to search (not seriously just yet) for a '13-14 Charger to go in the garage here.
While I like the exterior of the '11-'14 body, I find myself drawn somewhat to the interior of the '15 and newer.
AWD remains a preferred option, and we all know that the '15 and newer are not produced with the V8 and AWD except LE.

To that end, I am seeing '16 Charger R/T's in my locale with low or no miles, and they are in the $24-$27K range!
Mind you, they are not loaded, but still a V8 powered Charger that is basically new for what seems like a bargain.
Personally, cannot see NOT opting for the V8 if I can get one for less than a loaded up V6. There are some available in the
beautiful B5 blue that I would love to have.

What kinds of pricing are you all seeing in your local markets? I figured about long ago that traveling a bit can save you big bucks.
Back in 2013, my neighbor wanted a specific make/model Cadillac, and I found him the exact car he wanted (color, options, etc) in Boston, MA.
He bought two one way plane tickets, and we flew from SW Ohio and drove it home. At that time, it was a 3 year old Caddy with 8800 miles for about half of new price.

Don

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, new member here. I signed up specifically for the question you just asked.

I have been wanting a challenger for years and was looking to see if there were any deals this weekend that would tempt me to buy. The deal would have to be really good though as I have been waiting for Uconnect to get the new radio out and FCA to approve it, 2017s will have it.

Anyway..the chargers never really interested me at all until I saw the 20% off offer on the dodge website this weekend. I started looking around and meh it's the same old charger. Then I saw the scat pack and fell in love it with it. The wheels and body trim/fascia make it look like a completely different beast!

After looking around I found a brand new scat pack for 35k that qualified for the 20% off according to the dealer site. So I emailed them and got an answer back saying it is no longer available and sold already. Was this thing really 35k or was it smoke and mirrors? I am certain I would have bought it for that price if available. MSRP was 44k.

Other than that I seen a couple r/t's all leather for 32k but they just don't look nearly as good to me.

#3 ·
Maybe I have not looked hard enought, but what is different from the 2011-2014 interior over the 2015-2016 other than the 8 speed being introduced?

#4 ·
Nice upgrades in the EVIC and infotainment system. Button control layout below infotainment is slightly different. White interor LED accent lighting vs blue. Different seat design/appearance to name a few readily obvious to me.

#5 ·
One of our popular local dealers is making some incredible deals right now, even hellcats.

#6 ·
I'd love to get 20% off a Ram Rebel!

If I had any money... :shifty:

#8 · (Edited)
Ladies and Gents:
To that end, I am seeing '16 Charger R/T's in my locale with low or no miles, and they are in the $24-$27K range!

What kinds of pricing are you all seeing in your local markets? I figured about long ago that traveling a bit can save you big bucks.
Don
I have been seeing about the same prices around here. Kinda irks me a little, knowing maybe I could have gotten into a Hemi for roughly, if not the same as what I paid for my Rallye. That being said, I still love my car, and besides, it's for the wife, not me. Right??? When I say V8 around her, she goes and gets me one out of the fridge!!

#9 ·
I'm hunting this weekend for one. I started by going for SXT Plus Rallye with everything for $33k and MSRP was $37k+. I then found a plum r/t fully loaded for $28k with that 20% off deal! The locations with the 20% mfgr rebates mostly have bare-bone R/Ts. Call your dealer, because they may arrive same day. I saved 40 mins when I was enroute to another dealer on the perimeter and a dealer along the way DXed a fully loaded plum into their inventory as I was driving. After seeing the Plum in-person and I just couldn't stomach it, so I'm back to hunting loaded B5's and Mangos.

I'm seeing an average cut of 16% under MSRP which is great. The dealerships in my market have a glut and they're just not moving product. All the sales guys were commenting on the lack of volume and floor traffic. Only one dealership had a crazy volume of shoppers and it was because of their free TV deal....was crazy to see the action they brought in. Deals were getting closed in offices, cubes and stand-up cheap tables everywhere. It was the first time I walked into a Dealership and didnt get violated by salesmen, but I wanted one!

The picking is thinning out for the fully loaded rides at $28k, but there are lots of options when you hunt city by city in your region.

#10 ·
I looked at a 2016 RT Road and Track on Saturday. Nice car with a lot of options. Sticker was $42,870. The dealer then worked me up a quote with the price dropped to $40,000 and then a $2,500 rebate. That is nowhere near the 20% off mentioned in this thread. Is that offer still valid? If so how do you get it? Is the $37,500 quoted a decent deal?

Overall it is a very nice car. This was only the second Charger I have driven. The first....also yesterday...was a V6 all wheel drive. I would really prefer the scat pack but it is probably out of my budget and realistically for a primary vehicle 485 hp is more than I really need.

#12 ·
Reactions: GTO_04
#11 ·
20% off is on cars specifically selected by dodge on dealer lots. Generally oldest on the lot. I'm discovering it comes around so don't feel pressured to find that diamond deal only this month. If youre looking for scats there are some in the 30s. Great if you have sky miles to fly out and pay a little gas to drive it home.

#13 ·
You shop on the last day of the month. Even better if it's the last day of the quarter. Dealers will get bonus money if they hit certain sales volume, and the difference between selling one more car could be worth thousands upon thousands of dollars to the dealer.

#19 ·
If they are a high volume dealer there is a mid-month target they need to hit to lock in their month rates. For high volume dealers this can be as much as $3,500 a vehicle in kick backs. I'm not aware of quarterly goals with the FCA group but I might be out of date now.

#15 ·
The Charger, Challenger and 300 are all very good highway cruisers. :)

#21 ·
Excellent. Which one did you go with? The RT road and track you drove?

Also, hit us up with some Pics.:grin2:

#27 ·
Congrats on the new Chargers guys!!!! Your posts and pics are making me insanely jealous!
I have initiated the process to become pre-qualified at my local credit union up to a pre set amount so that I can move when the deal is made and I need the bucks.
My quarry here is a '14 R/T AWD in the gray, red, blue, or silver colors. I REALLY do not want black or white unless the money is simply too good to pass up.
Secondary items in order of importance to me are:

*At least 6 months/6K miles full warranty left
*Trunk spoiler
*Beats audio/Sirius radio
*Shift paddles
*Heated seats

I am seeing potential picks within 300 miles of my southwest Ohio area in the $20-$23K range with 25-30K miles. There are a few that are below 20K miles if I want to pay more $$$$$$.

Don

#28 ·
Blue is outstanding on these cars. White is also nice, if for no other reason than it's a blank slate upon which to work a vision. Plus, it hides dirt better than any other color. A dirty white car is just another shade of white, whereas dirt is obvious on just about any other car. Silver is another one good at hiding dirt.

If I may, on the secondary items:

Warranty - unimportant as you can buy one.

Trunk spoiler - better to not get one, as when you have no spoiler you can install the exact one you want rather than taking the one that comes on the car. I would prefer to have a 442-style spoiler on mine, for example, but it came with some lame little bump thing. If I pull it off, I'd likely have to get holes patched.

Beats audio - none of the Charger stereos sound very good, but I think some of the members have had luck improving them. Therefore, not one to worry about.

Shift paddles - lame. You're better off leaving it in auto and letting the transmission decide what gear to be in. On the plus side, they have the transmission shifting pretty down pat, at least on the 8 speeds. About the only time I use my paddles is when I want to slow down at speed, without using the brakes. I've found that the transmission is usually in the exact gear I would put it in if I were shifting manually. Unfortunately, you can't get more than about 4 gears to work on a single stick easily, and the paddles do allow access to all 8 gears.

Heated seats - phenomenal. Worth every nickel at twice the price. The only thing better than heated seats is heated and cooled seats.

#29 ·
Blue is outstanding on these cars. White is also nice, if for no other reason than it's a blank slate upon which to work a vision. Plus, it hides dirt better than any other color. A dirty white car is just another shade of white, whereas dirt is obvious on just about any other car. Silver is another one good at hiding dirt.

**Agree that the B5 Blue is VERY nice, but the 14 and older are not available with that color. I think it's Jazz Blue which is a darker but very nice blue**

Warranty - unimportant as you can buy one.

**What type of warranty do you speak of? My experience has been that the factory backed warranty is the only way to go. In most cases, you cannot buy a factory warranty extension unless the original oem warranty is still in force**

Trunk spoiler - better to not get one, as when you have no spoiler you can install the exact one you want rather than taking the one that comes on the car. I would prefer to have a 442-style spoiler on mine, for example, but it came with some lame little bump thing. If I pull it off, I'd likely have to get holes patched.

**I like the '11-'14 style of spoiler. The '15 and newer is much different and more subtle, and I do not like them as much. I think that a Charger with a naked trunk is crying out for something LOL!**

Beats audio - none of the Charger stereos sound very good, but I think some of the members have had luck improving them. Therefore, not one to worry about.

**We had a '14 SXT as a rental in Florida for a week last year. I thought that it's stereo was decent for a rental. I have not given one with the Beats system a good try out yet. I have also seen some '14s with an Alpine system.**

Shift paddles - lame. You're better off leaving it in auto and letting the transmission decide what gear to be in. On the plus side, they have the transmission shifting pretty down pat, at least on the 8 speeds. About the only time I use my paddles is when I want to slow down at speed, without using the brakes. I've found that the transmission is usually in the exact gear I would put it in if I were shifting manually. Unfortunately, you can't get more than about 4 gears to work on a single stick easily, and the paddles do allow access to all 8 gears.

**My '14 won't have the 8 speed. At one time and possibly still, the North Carolina Highway Patrol had the largest fleet of patrol Chargers in the US. They reported that they had yet to lose a transmission which speaks volumes for the 5 speed, and also why the LE version retained it after the 8 speed was introduced. Re the paddles, I would not mind having them, but also would not turn down an otherwise great Charger for lack of them**

Heated seats - phenomenal. Worth every nickel at twice the price. The only thing better than heated seats is heated and cooled seats.

**I agree 100% on the heated seats. Our Ohio winters can rally put the chill on seats especially leather!**

Don

#40 ·
Unless the rules have changed since last year (I bought a 2011 RT) if the mopar product has less than 125k and is less than 10 years old you can still get a mopar warranty. My car is was at 79k and I got a 3yr 36k extended warranty. One trip for a radio and alternator issue and it about paid for itself. The old "if you take care of it it won't break" really doesn't work anymore. Too many electrical pieces to break in new cars, and any real work that needs to be done requires a shop computer to do it. Just my 2 cents

#31 ·
If you find a SP for 10k off msrp that's brand new I would be all over that. I would not expect any further discounts. Dealers around here are only going $3500 at most unless you qualify for returning lessee loyalty credit or qualify for some of the other discounts. They are not offering the 20% off deal. The 20% off is only on oldest dealer stock. If there desperate to move a SP that's been on there lot for a while you may be able to beat them up for a tad more. But crap that's a hell of a deal on a SP if it can be had.

From the Dodge website: On oldest 15% inventory of select 2016 MY Charger vehicles as of 9/1/16, while dealer stock lasts. Savings based on $40,210.00 average Charger MSRP. Not compatible with lease offers or any other consumer incentive offers. See dealer for details. Take retails delivery by 10/31/16.

Reactions: GTO_04
#34 ·
Well it looks like the dealer either pulled a bait and switch or they are just marked it back up even though dodge told them to lower the MSRP, does the dealer have to obide when dodge tells them to lower it? Anyway to check?

After contacting them the prices went back up about 7k on the website

#37 ·
We have a Dodge dealer here in town that does that all the time to get folks into the dealership. Folks show up and the car has been sold and it was the only one like that! But wait, I will sell you one of these other nice Scats for $3000 off the MSRP! LOL

You find a NEW Scat Pack that is $10,000 off MSRP that the dealer is willing to let go PM me! I will jump on that deal even though I am waiting for the rebates next year on the Daytona 392.

#35 ·
Dealers are independent businesses. FCA has no control over their pricing.

Go in late afternoon on 10/31, and make an offer. Make sure they know that you're walking out and not returning if you don't get the deal you want. Be very wary of "extras" they will add to the "deal".

#42 ·
Gents:
I have long been a believer in the phrase "good things come to those who wait!" With some things finally falling into place, I have been doing some casual searching, and came across a deal I could not refuse!
If all goes well, tomorrow afternoon I will bring home a 2014 Certified Pre-Owned Billet silver
R/T Hemi AWD with a shade under 30K on the odo.

One owner. It seems to be fairly well equipped:

NAV, Backup camera, Beats Audio, Auto Dual zone AC, Projector headlamps, Steering wheel shift paddles, Power driver seat, and lumbar, and the usual, PW, PDL, Tilt, etc. It also has the Electronic Brake Force Distribution, Remote start, Keyless entry, Auto headlamps, Voice recognition, Wash, Spin, Dry, LOL!!!!

$22.8K out the door!

:0) Don

#43 · (Edited)
This might be slightly off topic, but may benefit anyone who finds this thread via searching online and is looking for additional pricing data points. I was in the market for an R/T, and I ended up getting an offer from a dealer for a 2016 R/T Road & Track package with nav, tech package, driver confidence group and sunroof for $34k OTD. It required me to go to about 4 dealers, and this one was a good 1.5 hours away but it was worth it as they undercut the other offers by about $2-$3k. Just an additional data point for anyone looking to buy in the next few days before the 20% off deal is dead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.