Charger Forums banner

Muffler or resonator delete- 2016 scatpack

40K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  davidgrundy316 
#1 ·
I've been thinking about doing something to get a little more noise out of my scatpack. Stock is great, but I would be happy with a little more. I've talked to several people about this. Some say do the muffler delete, others say resonators. One person even told me that they changed the design on the new chargers and put the resonators in the middle.

Needless to say I'm a bit confused. I always thought mufflers were in the middle and resonators were in the rear (seen that info under threads here). I also don't want to lose any performance by making this modification. People talk about back pressure loss but, I'm not so sure I buy that it loses back pressure, or if that would even make a difference.

If anyone can guide me in a certain direction that would be cool. I'm leaning towards the mid muffler delete if I do anything because I know that will boost sound and won't cause drone.

Thanks for any help

#3 ·
Nah I'm not putting glass packs anywhere on this. It's either muffler delete, resonator delete, or nothing... Thanks though.

#5 ·
I know generally the muffler delete for no done. I guess what I'm wondering is if anything has changed on the new models that would make this rule different?

Thanks

#6 ·
Are you looking for more volume at idle/cruising or under WOT? I know the Challenger SP has the valve actuated exhaust that opens up when you stomp on it. Does the Charger SP have the same?

#7 ·
Yeah it has active exhaust, but I've got friends that have done muffler deletes(which is the way I'm leaning) and the volume at startup, idle and WOT is greater. It just sounds soo good on video lol. I've just heard/read conflicting info so looking for clarification.

Reactions: Tynarus
#14 ·
My 2015 R/T has the center units, whether they're the resonators or mufflers I can't figure out, but from there it's nothing but pipe out the back past the axle.

It is one monster-droning pain in the ass. When I cold start it in the mornings while getting dressed it vibrates stuff in my bedroom on the opposite end of my house from my driveway. From 1,400-1,900 RPM in 1-4 gears it's flat out unbearable.

So whichever is actually the unit behind the axle, I'd suggest keeping that one. I'd have thought it was a resonator like they all used to do, but as others here have stated, it seems lots of manufacturers are putting the resonators midway and the mufflers at the rear.

Simply put, I'd advise against it.

Reactions: baller1015
#18 ·
I just purchased a 2015 Charger Scat Pack and the prior owner cut off the resonators (the resonators are at the back end, with the chrome tips attached). The drone is not fun. I will be removing the muffler/s in the middle, and run straight pipe from the headers to the rear, where I will have the resonators reattached.

I did this on my 2008 Charger R/T and it sounded awesome, with no drone. I expect a similar, although deeper sound with this 6.4l motor.

Will confirm the outcome once I accomplish the task.

#20 ·
That sucks the prior owner should've cut the mid mufflers not the rears with the tailpipes. It more then doubles the sound and no drone at any rpm . I bet straight pipes would sound good you need to keep the active exhaust. Unless you buy a simulator kit. One of the members on the forms sells them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Listen to all the video clips on You tube. It will sound good. Just leave the reso on in the back so you do not get drone. Keep the Mids in case you ever want to go back to stock.

#23 · (Edited)
Here is my 16 SRT with the resonators deleted. At highway speed there is a little more drone when the MDS is active but it is not intolerable. I deleted the mid pipe ones and left the ones on the back. The only company that makes exhaust for my car is Borla. While they make a great product, my exhaust is now very very similar to the Borla Atak design in that it is the same diameter with an H-pipe and no resonators. Oh yeah for $75 vice $1800.

R/Don

https://youtu.be/ZAxsys9MTgI

#27 ·
So there backwards on stock exhaust? I know on aftermarket exhaust mufflers are in the rear like borla magaflow and so on.
Anyways the mid mufflers or resonators is a great mod for sound for $75 bucks. I do now wonder how the other way would sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
It's just different cars could be different. I had a 74 Corvette and on all Corvettes the mufflers were at the rear bumper but on the 74 convertible there were two additional resonators under the middle of the car. So every car could be different and why you must always always point to what you want done or removed at the muffler shop. Don't ever just tell the guy to remove the mufflers or resonators or whatever, always point to exactly what you want done so he will do what you want.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

#29 ·
On the old Chevelles the resonator was at the tip, mufflers were in the middle. It's not backwards, the OEMs install the mufflers and resonators where their testing gives them the sound, packaging and costs that they want. I guarantee that the Charger had the mufflers at the tips and the resonators in the middle, and mufflers no resonators, and resonators no mufflers, at some point during testing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.