Charger Forums banner

"Thank you, but it's not a Charger..."

5K views 41 replies 17 participants last post by  JeffH 
#1 ·
Full disclosure: I do not own a Charger. I have not ever owned a Charger. I do not plan on owning a Charger.

So why am I here then?

Well, because I own a Challenger, and I am tired of getting compliments from strangers (and even family members who should know better!) who keep calling it a Charger.

So I am here to offload a double butt-load of mis-labeled compliments that were meant for my Challenger(s) but were labeled as being for a Charger. I don't think it's fair to keep what's not technically mine, so HERE you go! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

There, now that we have that out of the way, I would like to stick around see what kind of good info is available in the V6/3.5L section. There is painfully little of value over on the Challenger forum specific to the 3.5L in the SEs, and since I just bought a 2010 SE with a 3.5L a few months ago, I have been in dire need of a good information repository on said engine. This forum appears to meet that criteria, so I figured I better sign up!

Instead of only taking and never giving, I will of course try to contribute where I can, but my pertinent knowledge will be limited of course due to the differing body styles. Still though, some things seem to transcend body styles, models, etc., and it is those topics in which I hope we can have lively discussions in the near future!

But either way, thanks in advance for allowing me to take advantage of your 3.5L information repository you have here, I promise to keep all my "Nice Charger!" compliments forwarded in to this forum as a pseudo-thank-you in return!

Yours Truly,
Gert B. Frobe

See less See more
#7 ·
NO SIR!!

Adding back doors would only make it easier for nefarious no-good-niks to sneak into my back seat to lie in wait for me and spring forth when I least expect it, unleashing some sort of decapitating or eviscerating device onto me in an attempt to snuff me out for good. :couto:

Not only do I have a serious aversion to being murdered by some beatnik hippie, but even if I manage to survive his THC flavored clubbing, I suspect the resulting dried blood all over my ripped/torn interior will leave it in such a condition that I will wish I HAD been killed when trying to clean it all up. :sick:

Nope, if Hollywood slasher movies have taught me anything, it's that you should try to make access to your back seat as difficult as possible for any surprise attackers...your future self will thank you for it!! :bigthumb:

#3 ·
I would just like to extend a heartfelt welcome and "Thank You" on behalf of my Charger brothers and sisters for your forwarding of the kudos that you have received, albeit inadvertently, for your "Charlenger".
Anytime you can put a smile on someone's face, is a good day, and that's what your post did, at least for me anyway! :)

Reactions: GertFrobe
#8 ·
I'll do what I can to interject a little levity where appropriate...and if that ever fails, I'll break out my dancing videos. Nothing special, just me dancing...

Oh yeah, did I mention I'm 6'8" with red hair? No, well while that's sinking in, don't forget that with the red hair comes the extra special "gift" of a fish-belly complexion all over.

Now put all that together into a mental image and make it dance, and you'll be in the neighborhood of what I look like gyrating and such...but as bad as you can imagine it, I assure you I am much worse at actually doing it in real life!!

:banana:
:elephant:
:wiggle:
:alfdance:
:eek: :jawdrop:

#9 ·
With the over-population of late model mustangs now a days (seriously, are they giving new mustangs away with new credit cards or something now???), I would have to assume anyone who said that to me was intentionally trying to get my Irish up by making such an asinine statement.

I find the best approach in such scenarios is not to beat around the bush and just hit 'em back with something like "Yeah, your mom LOVES the backseat too, she can fit TWO johns at a time back there!!"

#10 ·
Legit had a cashier at a gas station tell me how nice my "mustang" was, back when I had my R/T...

Ew. No.

#5 ·
Welcome, I've actually gotten the opposite sometimes!

But people do easily confuse them. I think it's because "Charger" is easier to say than "Challenger". That pesky extra syllable....

#14 · (Edited)
Yeah, you would think something as simple and as common as an extra syllable would be harmless and unexciting, but I found out the hard way that THAT particular extra syllable holds some sort of funky voodoo over people...well, not all people, just Challenger owners.

I've been a member over on the Challenger forum since 2011 and started probably a hundred threads, some with the expressed intent to generate lively back-and-forths, but the only one of my threads that went so far off the rails that the moderators stepped in and closed it was one I innocently started to find out why those who use "Chally" as an abbreviation spell it without the "e" before the "y".

I never got my answer, not even close. What I did get was a dozen pages of vitriol and thinly veiled threats back and forth between members who quickly chose sides in the age old argument about whether "Chally" should even be allowed to exist.

It was truly a trial by fire to the world of online forums and "discussions" between supposedly civilized people. I still wake up in the middle of the night sometimes, scared of what I might have accidentally unleashed upon fellow Challenger owners...the horrors...THE HORRORS!!

Sticks and stones my arse, words can really hurt!!

#15 ·
I take them all in stride...at least they're looking at me with admiration, which is good i guess...much better than what they were looking at me with during the 13 month hiatus I had to take in between Challengers, which unfortunately for me was filled with a turd Honda...I saw pity, shame, regret, sympathy, you name it during that trip to purgatory, but never admiration...

*SHUDDER*

I'm so glad to be back, back in the bosom of a vehicle with a soul...a kind and beautiful soul, not an ugly, stank-assed one like that Honda!!

But I digest...

I love my MOPAR, that what's I'm trying to say I guess.

#11 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

Don't feel bad about the Charger vs. Challenger mistakes that people make. Just be grateful that it's still a Mopar that they mistake you for.

When I first parked my '69 Dart GTS in the driveway, one of the neighbors came over and told me all about the Ford Galaxy her Father had that was exactly the same as mine. :(

#13 ·
Geez, what 'galaxy' is he from?!?

AHAHAHA!! I slay me sometimes...

No, but honestly, I wouldn't have known it was a Dart from sight alone, BUT I would have known it wasn't a Galaxy. And given the context (a pampered MOPAR also in the stable), I would have at least been able to say "Nice set of MOPARs!" and allow you to fill in the blanks for me.

But then again, I try to think before I speak to most strangers, which from my experience has either become too difficult for most folks or they just don't give a damn anymore...

#17 ·
Full disclosure: I do not own a Charger. I have not ever owned a Charger. I do not plan on owning a Charger.

So why am I here then?

Well, because I own a Challenger, and I am tired of getting compliments from strangers (and even family members who should know better!) who keep calling it a Charger.
So I was stalking some of your old posts here, looking for stuff you've done to the Bacon Hauler.....and low and behold......I find and anti-Charger post by a Challenger owner....not so long ago.

Seems like that sentiment is not unique to me after all. I do believe I've uttered those same words "I do not own a Charger. I have not ever owned a Charger. I do not plan on owning a Charger." Followed by chants and prayers to the MOPAR Gods, asking forgiveness for what FCA has done to the legacy of the General Lee and all real Chargers that came before this one.

Now I find myself selling my Challenger, and looking at Dodge Interceptors (I'll never call them Chargers). Funny how things change. I think I can embrace that car, when it's an un-badged former police car, with the cop-tires, cop-brakes, cop-shocks, all that cool cop-stuff. Just a Dodge Sedan, with a HEMI, that I can pack more grand-kids into, and not worry so much about the bumpy back roads and all the varmints that insist on dashing in front of me. You'd think by now they'd figger out how to get out of the way of my speeding Challenger as I do my best Bo Duke moves on the way to work in the morning, but they really haven't adapted well. Maybe Darwin was wrong. Well, the first one I collect with that cop push-bar might get their attention.

#19 ·
Now I find myself selling my Challenger, and looking at Dodge Interceptors (I'll never call them Chargers).
:rolleyes: Why does everyone get hung up over the name? We all know it's not the late 60's/early 70's muscle car. Who cares. I bought it because I wanted a sedan, not because I liked the name.

#18 ·
Amazing. I can't imagine how anybody could confuse a Mustang for a Charger or vice versa. I have them sitting next to each other in my garage and nobody's ever mis-identified either one.

#20 ·
Mustangs are always 2 doors and they make so many of them, people see them from all generations every single day so it really takes a clueless person to NOT know a Mustang. I've had several Mustangs and Camaros over the years and never had anyone mix them up.

One that drove me crazy was years back I had a Toyota Cressida which was RWD and inline six, that everyone called a Camry :serious:

I've also had a bunch of Miatas and for being incredibly common, people think they are all kinds of other stuff like MG, Austin Healey, Triumph, Porsche.......nutty because those are all LESS common LOL

#24 ·
^ Not with those wheels please--

#26 ·
Hate to say it, but the blue one looks like a Mustang. The gold one is a sexy car, but definitely with different wheels!

#27 ·
Hate to say it, but the blue one looks like a Mustang. The gold one is a sexy car, but definitely with different wheels!
It looks like a Mustang that has a Camaro's front fascia.

Agreed, and also the ride height is a little too low for me. Prior to my own lowering experiences recently, I might have gone with it like that, but not now.

Practicality is important when you're daily driving something, and being that low to the ground just ain't practical!

Reactions: JackE
#29 ·
Come on man. I have 4 doors on my pickup truck. Does that count for anything? Imma tryin' to sell my wimpy 2-door Challenger as we speak (anybody here interested?) Search Autotrader for 2013 Challengers at zip code 16061.

Anyway, don't take anything you hear from the that NUKE character seriously. I heard that he shaves his back hair, rolls it and smokes it. And that's about the least weird thing I've read about HIM.

If you succeed in having me banned, I'll still get me an Interceptor (never a Charger) some day, and when I do, I'll collect up that NUKE dude (he doesn't know I'm talking smack about him over here so if can catch him between therapy sessions and the liquor store, he'll still join me) and we'll come find you, and we'll set up pretend speed traps in our pretend cop cars in your neighborhood that annoy you and your neighbors. Take that!

#33 ·
I feel you bro. I get the reverse situation, everyone is calling my charger a chally lmao. I think it's mainly because there are a lot more challengers around where I'm from. I also follow the dodge official insta and they mainly post chally pics. So maybe it's advertised more? Anyways, welcome to the forum hemi brother!:banana::rocker:

#39 ·
I was broke down on the side of the road yesterday just north of Celina (Gunter), where were you, I coulda used a ride to the Autozone in Gainesville!!

I was exceeding the speed limit by a little and ended up blowing the upper radiator hose off the radiator out in the middle of nowhere, and ended up calling the wife to come bring me a hose clamp and some coolant. She brought me one that was too big (of course!) and so we had to limp it to Gainesville to get another clamp that would work.

Ugh, such a nice start to the day and ending up so badly...I HATE those!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.