Charger Forums banner

Steering angle sensor internal C2205 & C121A

99K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  godsdiablo 
#1 ·
Hi,

My ESP/BAS light is always lit since a few weeks. The dealer found trouble code C2205 and C121A, indicating an error with the steering angle sensor. Reset procedure does nothing and the code comes back after clearing it. They want to replace the sensor. My question is; can I check anything else that might cause this trouble code rather than the actual sensor, like a fuse or something? Any ideas? Just to rule out things before ordering parts etc.

#5 · (Edited)
Light comes back on when making moderate left turn? If so read this:

There is a STAR case relating to steering shaft protrusion in relation to the ESP light coming on from SAS calibration. It involves removing the steering wheel & SCM (plastic collar containing clockspring, cruise switch, SCCM, Multifunction Switch and SAS)and measuring the shaft protrusion. But... you say it comes on when making left turns. I had an 08 with this exact same problem. Found the STAR case and saved some time. I didn't measure the column, but skipped ahead and just tried the repair procedure for if the column was ok. It worked. The procedure mistakenly instructs to use a T25 Torx screwdriver. You have to use a T30 Torx screwdriver, not a replaceable bit type. Here's the procedure:

Repair Procedure:

1. Through the hole in the bottom of the SCCM (refer to illustration) insert a T30 Torx driver and loosen the clamp screw approximately 4 turns. Do not remove the screw.
2. Pull the SCCM upward on the column tube toward the steering wheel as far as possible. The amount of movement is limited because the clamp screw is captured within an oval shaped hole in the tab on the casting of the column tube.
3. Re-tighten the screw.
4. Test drive the vehicle.

On the car I fixed pulling the SCM towards the steering wheel evenly it did not move at all. I believe I pulled only on the left side and it moved. I then held it pulled out and tightened the screw. Give it a shot. If you want the full procedure PM me your eMail.

#6 ·
my car was doing the same thing (08 rt), i followed the STAR case and now it works perfectly. and it was only with left turns, got a bit nasty in wet weather, cause my trac control would come off in the middle of a corner and I would get tire spin

#7 · (Edited)
TBird100636,

First , thanks a lot for replying,

So If I'm not mistaken , I would say yes most probably it happens when I turn left. (Almost 90% sure).

And to fully understand that Fix you suggesting , I DO NOT need to take out or dissemble any parts ? I don't need take the AirBag or the ESP or any of that jazz out ?

I peaked last night on that Hole and I think I found it , Well its the only hole at the bottom of the SCCM. So just to get that Clear I just need to lose the screw inside that hole and pull the SCCM towards me (To the outside so its fully Extended ) then re-tight that screw ? That's it ?

#13 ·
Can you please be specific? What exactly to pull on? I drive a 2007 Dodge Charger SXT. There's a black level at the bottom of the steering. If pull up towards the steering wheel, it loosen the column so that it could be extended and can go up or down. When you say pull on the left side, I simply don't understand what you're trying to say. Please upload photos (if possible), pointing exactly to what needs pulling. I'm very mechanically inclined, but this one I simply cannot grasped. Thanks in advance.

#14 ·
Try this and see if it helps explain it...

Repair Procedure:

1. Through the hole in the bottom of the SCCM (refer to illustration. #3 ) insert a T30 Torx driver and loosen the clamp screw approximately 4 turns. Do not remove the screw.
2. Pull the SCCM (1) upward on the column tube toward the steering wheel as far as possible. The amount of movement is limited because the clamp screw is captured within an oval shaped hole in the tab on the casting of the column tube.
3. Re-tighten the screw.
4. Test drive the vehicle.

Illustration:

Photo of screw location:

Attachments

#16 ·
Please help. I did all the steps in the procedure, but it didn't work as the traction light came back on even before I left my parking spot. It's not the SAS because I didn't get a code for that. I got a P0016, which is for either the crankshaft or camshaft position sensor. There must be some detail missing. Do I bring up the steering column a bit by pulling on that black lever at the bottom because I had a little bit of trouble putting the torx bit screwdriver in that hole as that black lever was kinda in the way. I didn't feel any real moment, so what side (left or right) do I pull in this whole ordeal? Any additional information would be appreciated, thanks.

#18 · (Edited)
had this problem since i put new rims on my car, same size rims and tires nothing new. instead of universal they're replicas. hard lefts blinker or not does this. i read somewhere else its most likely not the steering angle sensor and that this trick should fix it. if not it could be the blinker stalk. which it could be because the cruise control does not work but thats a whole different problem.

What am I pulling on, the whole housing? the illustration shows the angle sensor. am i pulling just the left side? what scan tool is good and cheap for ABS? thank you

i also read to try and redo the center steering all the way to the left right etc as displayed here. funny thing is my car died a little over a year ago and i trickle charged the battery and never had any problems only after the new rims last month, i need to check my wheel speed sensors maybe the shop hit a wire and its shorting out, but very weird that it only happens when i make hard lefts just like everyone else, some people changed all 4 sensors and angle sensor and no good. what do you guys think

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.