Charger Forums banner

Rough Idle?

8K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  RTNewbie 
#1 ·
My Charger has about 330 miles on it so far, but I am concerned about a rough idle at stand still. Especially in the mornings when I first crank it you would think I was setting in a vibrating bed...

Anyone else have any issues with this and is it normal for the HEMI 5.7?

BTW My R/T Charger has the R/T Performance Package...

#2 ·
I have the the R/T packacge also, noticed the rough idle once. But I've also noticed an ocassional surge when at a stop.

#4 ·
No rough idle for me.

I have 600 miles on my R/T, and I have not experienced rough idle at all. In fact, my R/T idles smoother than any car or truck I have owned since 1970.

#5 ·
SC,

I have noticed the same thing the last few days. The car skakes like a 1967 Oldsmobile with broken motor mounts. However, it seems to go away after the car warms up. In ant event, it worries me. Like you, I have the R/T with R/T, but just over 1,000 miles. I wonder if it has something to do with the hydraulic lifters?

#6 ·
I have experienced the rough idle as well.... It so much reminds me of my"69" Hemi Road Runner..... I love it (whether it is good or not) It takes me back 36 years ....... That was a legendary experience... Kids with their Chevelle's Nova's, Mustangs, Goats etc etc... would all pull up to my car at a light...thinking it was a 383..They would give it a little rev or two until they looked over, squinted and read the emblem on the hood air intakes.... HEMI ... everyone backed off.... Except those occassional Vetts that I would smoke everytime...... Two Holley 850's on a ram log manifold, Hooker Headers, Ansen Ground Grabbers, 488 rear end, Racer Brown Cam.... etc etc... Now 36 years later I relive my legend. This car is "AWESOME" .... I have CAI, Borla Performance exhaust, Jet Stage 1 module..... just received my Gibson headers yesterday.... I CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE MODS .... SWEET..... Oh, and did I say I don't mind the rough idle??? :happy:

#8 ·
Penroof28 said:
Awesome,

I tend to agree with you. Having lived through the sad years of the auto industry (i.e. 1972-2002), with the "K" cars and such, I know that this is one great car!
and we all know that the K cars stood for Krap.....
"The legend lives" :wink:

#9 ·
K cars were crap, but they saved Chrysler from an untimely death. If not for the K cars and Daimler, we wouldn't have the Charger we have today.

#10 ·
jmorrell said:
K cars were crap, but they saved Chrysler from an untimely death. If not for the K cars and Daimler, we wouldn't have the Charger we have today.
I'm not passing judgement on what the K CAR did to support Chrysler.... I am talking about performance in a "Performance Forum" It's the death and rebirth of the American Muscle Car that is the reference here, not the value of the K CAR.... I supported Chrysler's continued existence by buying an Aires and a Omni for my wife..... way back then.....

#14 ·
GoofyGuy said:
is it a rough idle or is it just some vibration in the cab? mine gives me a lil massage when Im sitting still I think it will look better with a shaker hood.
It's a rough idle with my RT... You can see the RPM's drop from around 650/700 to 500 and then back when it shakes... Feels like a racing cam :happy:

#15 ·
Glad to know I am not the only person experiencing the rough idle. Basically it sounds as if some of you are saying this is a normality with this engine.

The fluctuation-drop of RPM's during cold start was a bit of a scare to me when I began to notice it....

#17 ·
Rough idle here too from day one....almost 7000 miles now and it is still there. I have noticed the rough idle when cold but also when idling at a light when warmed up it is smooth as silk but has a miss every once in a while. I have asked the dealer to look at it and they said "It is normal", how do you argue with that?

I wouldn't mind except when I have friends in the car and it misses they say "What was that?"

#19 ·
i'm fairly certain that there is TSB (technical service bulletin ?) for this lemme go check it out...

www.lxforums.com has a section in their knowledge base that lists all of them...

here is the one for a rough idle, it says it is for a Magnum RT but since they have the same engine it doesn't really matter

Component Description:
32. ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE Bulletin Number: 1802704
Bulletin Date: JUN 2004

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Magnum
Summary:
FLASH: ROUGH IDLE OR HIGH RPM ON START OR SPARK KNOCK. *TT

hope this helps

-George

#20 ·
RonRacer said:
it's called a hemi V8 boys thats how it is. gottaloveit :drool:

This younger generation that grew up with the 4 bangers and rice burners don't know what something that's got some a$$ to it feels like. Mine does the same thing and yes it's normal and another thing Chrysler products are known for is thier hatred of the cold..... some things never change. Had mine to the dealer and another person I trust every check OK. It's just that muscle under the hood :happy:

#22 ·
I'm in Minnesota and I get the rough idle in the morning when the car is cold. I had the same thing with my 2001 ram (360 V8), my 1990 GMC (350 V8), my 72 Challenger (440 V8, this one idled rough ALL the time - lumpy race cam :whistle: ). Every V8 car/truck I've had has idled rough in the cool air until the engine warms up. Its just the way it is...... Get used to it.....

#23 ·
is it just me but i like the rough idle....it isn't bone jarring...but it feels like there is this huge engine that can't wait to roar to life....hence i will be one of the boneheads that puts an aggressive cam in and blows something up....hehe

#24 ·
Ive notice the same thing.. it gets less apparent as the car warms up.

If you want to REALLY feel a rough idle, do what I did (Do not really try this, Im an idiot). I started the car, and was in a rush so I immediately threw it into reverse to pull out of my GFs driveway. I guess I didnt give the car enough time in Park to set itself properly. In any case, as soon as I threw it into R, the car started to buck wildly like it was going to explode. Quick Thinking: Threw it into N and shut the car off. When I re-started the car, it was fine.. scary moment tho. I suggest always giving your car a full second or two in Park before shifting :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.