Charger Forums banner

Lifted Charger?!?!?!.. Yes... 3inch Lift Kit on a Charger

74K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  Wade13x 
#1 · (Edited)
So, lol. On one of the Canadian Charger facebook groups, someone posts a question asking how to make his car safer in an Alberta winter. Someone brilliantly replies "I put a 3 inch lift kit on my Charger" with the following explanation "In NS the roads are crappy. The potholes often shed large pieces of road. As a daily driver i occasionally use a utility trailer. With the hitch on it hits curbs and big speed bumps so in the interest of savings my Charger i lifted her." AND "crawling under a car to remove the tangled bloated rotten roadkill or shredded tire from your rear axle.. chunks of ice from big trucks all over the road waiting to take chunks out of your undercoating or any lines it gets caught on as you drag the ice down the road.i would LOVE to have the roads cared for enough not to worry about it.. here in Canada the politicians siphon off the money for their friend's companies and THEIR retirement plans. "

I've been searching in a few places for reputable information and statistics proving that putting a lift kit on a car provides no safety in the winter. Can anyone weigh in on this please, I haven't really found anything on cars. Maybe I'm crazy, maybe there is a good reason to lift a Charger... I dunno.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
lifting the car doesn't provide additional clearance to the suspension.

if you want excessive clearance, then go buy the freaking SUV.

#19 ·
you’re wrong. Lifting the vehicle and then installing larger off-road wheels and tires, will certainly increase the ground clearance. it’s literally the same exact concept as someone who lifts their pick-up truck. And the drivability is affected just as much as a truck’s drivability is affected. There are many reasons to justify this approach. It’s all about what you want to do.

#3 ·
There is no logical reason to raise a Charger. It will make the car unstable during normal operation and handling.

The only thing it will do is provide additional ground clearance. If that is required, you need to buy a different vehicle that was designed to operate at the configuration.

The AWD charger sits higher for two reasons. One is to provide additional clearance for the AWD system to operate properly and the second is because it was designed from the factory to provide an additional 1" of clearance for the platform's intended application.

Of course, it might be a different story if they made it a completely custom 4x4 like this...

Attachments

Reactions: Miss Innocent
#6 ·
It's the same as trucks you see lifted sky high with the axles and everything else sitting where it was at OEM height. Looks terrible and IMO is embarrassing because it shows you don't know what you're doing. Maybe it is easy to get up under the car in certain spots but that's about it.

#7 ·
Here you go :grin2:

I'm just teasing but I see quite a few cars with big tires and lifted around my way. I don't get it personally but I guess each to their own.

We don't get too much snow around my way but I'm kind of expecting it this year since the summer was so mild. I'll be driving my old beater SUV those days for obvious reasons

#8 ·
In the 60's all the muscle cars were lifted to make room for bigger tires, especially in the rear. Many people just lifted the car for aesthetics. I'm sure handling was compromised a little but that wasn't the goal. It looked odd to me when people started lowering their cars and couldn't get over speed bumps.

#11 ·
He will gain much poorer handling and fuel economy.

#15 ·
Sorry to revive an old thread but as I can add to this thread I figure it's not that bad.

I live in Quebec and we also have a crappy weather during the winter.
I recently started to look at ways to increase the ground clearance of the car, because on icy streets I keep rubbing the frame (or god knows what below the car) on the ice in the streets. Not only it can damage components, but it also removes the rustproofing I did, along with the plating of the metal, exposing it to rust (rubbing metal on salted ice then spraying salted water on it isn't really a good idea).

Adding 3" is plain stupid but I totally understand why someone would like to add 1-1.5". I figure the fuel economy wouldn't be hurt that badly, and it would definitely make a big difference. As to the high speed handling, speeds are limited to 100kph/60mph, so it's not like people are regularly driving at crazy speeds and I don't plan to be involved in a high speed chase anytime soon :)

I also understand the charger isn't an all-terrain vehicle or a SUV, but most people (like me) have just one car and I don't see the problem in trying to adapt the car slightly for the conditions it actually sees, as long as it's not too much.

I'm not sure I'll ever change the ride height on my charger, but I wanted to give some input as to why people would be motivated to use a lift kit on a charger. :)

#17 ·
I live in Ottawa, Canada. I wanted to help my charger get around in the winter, especially since I do snow removal so I am always driving in the worst conditions. So I found a set of used BFG A/T KO2's 245/65/17(pretty sure that's it) and slapped em on some 17" steelies and away I go. I've only been stuck once and it was because I got ****y and high centered on the brim of snow left by the city plow at the end of my driveway. They work great, are lots of fun when i want it, and looks badass!

#23 ·
#25 ·
But….why…

#30 ·
That’s a simple and fair question with a few answers…
1. I was told I couldn’t do it
2. Was told something like this shouldn’t exist.
3. Think it looks pretty bad-ass
4. And finally and probably most importantly, for me it serves a purpose. I’m a disabled veteran on a fixed income and I rely on DoorDash And other gig work for additional income. I also live in northern Colorado And frequently find myself getting taken off the beaten path… Once I even delivered to a guy 2 miles down the dirt road in the middle of nowhere doing work on oilfield equipment, so having a little bit more beefy vehicle definitely helps.

#31 ·
Well its is kinda growing on me..mad max looking 😎

Reactions: Zane M
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.