Charger Forums banner

wait to get winters or...

4K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  JD13X 
#1 ·
Fellas, just got my blacktop HEMI :))))))) so now,the dilemma.

Originally I wanted to order it, get the car in April and find police wheels used on the cheap but when I saw the car, I pulled the trigger... now I got about 2 months of winter left. I'm in North East NJ, not Canada by any means but I read that the 20'' firestones are not great in the snow. What are the realistic possibilities of getting the winters used in the spring?
Thoughts on just putting 100 pounds of sand bags in the trunk for the time being ( when snow is expected) and wait for a deal on the police package? 700 on ebay is kinda expensive for wheels, no?

#3 ·
just don't be stupid
Bingo... we have a winner. But honestly, that is the key. Don't be driving like your usual self, you have to drive like a grandma honestly (well I do with my stock all season continentals..) And then people wonder why i take ages to get going from a stoplight.. :rolleyes2:

Just be smart, and look out for others. The best advice out there...

#5 ·
if you really want snows, check out your local craigslist

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/pts/3560009917.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/pts/3557644373.html
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/pts/3526620401.html

from mopar online parts:
http://moparonlineparts.com/

WHEEL-STEEL
Make: Dodge | Part#: 4895425AE
List Price: $138.00
Your Price: $94.53

NUT-WHEEL
Make: Dodge | Part#: 6509421AA
List Price: $2.10
Your Price: $1.44

CAP-WHEEL CENTER
Make: Dodge | Part#: 4895432AA
List Price: $65.60
Your Price: $45.25

so you're looking at $146.98 per corner + shipping for new police wheels/lugs/caps

or you could get 18" challenger rallye wheels for $121/corner

http://moparonlineparts.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=+82209999ab&search_in_description=1

and use your stock lugnuts

TPMS, best deal I've found is on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-OEM-C...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b42c1b13&vxp=mtr

#13 ·
thx

thx this is a great write up
Kinda leaning on getting steel wheels from tirerack, the police wheels are kinda getting expensive as the tires have to be ordered from somewhere else and centered at the local midas
tirerack centers the wheels/tires for you so all you have to do is screw them on

#6 ·
I live in Indiana and drive mine on All-Season tires all year around. As long as you don't drive like a dumbass, you'll be just fine.

#7 ·
The adaptive TC helps!
I ran the OEM GY last year and they were the original tires.
They were starting to dry rot along the bead so....
I had no real issues there but, decided to get a new set of wheels (18's) with Falken tires to match then, bought a set of Blizzak's for my stock 17" wheels. Bolted the Snows on just before Sandy hit.
The Blizzak's are allot fun.

#9 ·
Hey there. I am in a similar boat as you. I am awaiting my 2013 RT R&T STP from the factory. In fact I just got notice it is in paint today so I think I should have it within about 2 weeks.

Since the STP comes with Eagle F1 sueprcars, I had to do something. I tried to get the dealer to swap the F1's for the Firestone AS and they wouldn't do it in the end. So I went ahead and got winters. I bought a set of 18" Challenger RT Rims off ebay for $225 total. Then bought a new set of Firestone Winters in 225 60 18 on Tire Rack for $500. And the TPS that mighiganpat wrote above. So I am all set with brand new 18's with dedicated snows for $800.

I am having them mounted today in fact for $75 total and I will be all set in case we get a March storm. I am in NJ btw so probably similar to where you are. And it isn't worth the "risk" for me over $800.

#10 ·
winter driving

I'm going to wait. I have been sliding in the snow a little which is a bit of pain as we have very little snow. The firestones firehwak GTs handle pretty well on dry surfaces but getting out of my drive way on an incline is a different story. Didn't you get the AWD option?

#11 ·
I'm in southern Ontario and have a 2wd with snows & 300c alloys on all 4. It's by far the only way to go. Winter tires are designed to operate in lower temperatures as well as in snow. You have less grip in the cold even on dry pavement with summers or all seasons, not to mention the stiffer ride. I disagree with steel rims because the car's suspension is set up to run with the factory alloys and steel wheels can add 10 pounds each, and snow packing in the wheel's offset makes that even worse. This makes the suspension slower to react to bumps, affecting road contact and ride quality. no road contact, no traction. Finally, although you may choose not to drive like a "dumbass" you may need to react to someone else who is driving like one.

#14 ·
"aluminum vs. steel isn't a big deal...heck, police chargers come with steel"
It is a big deal. People spend huge amounts of money on exotic metal control arms, light wheels and brake components, all in the pursuit of saving unsprung weight, the sole purpose of which is to improve suspension performance. Dribble a basketball and then dribble a volleyball and see how much more effort is needed to maintain the same speed and control. Police cars have steel winter wheels because they're cheap and can withstand being mistreated. I hardly consider a patrol car to be any representation of performance.

#15 ·
but what I was saying is it's not like the car ISN'T designed for steel wheels....and again, the weight difference between an 18" steel wheel and a 20" aluminum wheel is negligible...in fact, an 18" steel wheel is lighter than a lot of 22" aluminum wheels....

and if you're running snow tires you're already compromisng max dry weather handling while you have them on

#16 ·
Well I just got mine home and they are in the basement waiting for the car now lol.

Tires look great and will get me through anything I will need in the cold temps and snow. I am going to try to hold out until next winter to use em but I wanted to have them set in case of a freak March storm.

The rims look terrific for 18" snows. I hate the look of steel rims and I don't want to be driving a car that looks stupid 3-4 months of the year so this for me is a great alternative. $225 bucks for all four was cheaper then the steel wheels anyway.

Attachments

#17 ·
"and if you're running snow tires you're already compromisng max dry weather handling while you have them on"
Nope. At any temperature approaching freezing and below, in the dry, winter tires will out perform hands down. The compound is designed to stay pliable while summer tires become stiff and non-compliant, never getting into the temperature range that they were designed to operate in. And to be clear, I am referring to "winter" tires not "snow" tires.

#19 ·
technically, no..winter tires do have a different compound than all seasons to provide better grip and flexibility at lower temps....

but the attributes that make a good winter tire (relatively small fully siped tread blocks, plenty of space between them, and taller tread blocks, and narrower overall tread width) itself is a bit of a compromise when it comes to overall tire performance, especially on dry pavement...

#22 ·
If you read the literature on ice and snow tires, you will find out that they made of a much softer compound. If they even give you a mileage warranty: it won't be much over 25k.
That is why I asked if anyone rotates their snow tires sooner then next season when they bolt them back on again.
Snow tires usually have deeper tread depth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.