Charger Forums banner

HEMI Crate Engine Modification for 2010 SXT AWD

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Majdnoon 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 3.5L HO SXT AWD - Is there a compatible HEMI crate engine available that I could drop in ?

#2 ·
This may be a dumb question...but with the price of a crate motor, why not just go trade the 3.5 in for a Hemi?

#3 ·
Yes, that's an option but I really like my car - leather interior, Nav. system etc. and ~80k after 5 years. Would like some added power.
Just trying to learn / understand the options and the cost-effectiveness between the options. Not sure how much a crate engine goes for.

#4 ·
Gotcha. I'm guessing like $5k...ish?

#5 ·
Ok cool...that's not too bad.
However; even with a trade-in and to pay off any balance, I don't think I would get a comparable HEMI Charger for anywhere near that price.
Would you happen to know if there is a crate engine that would be compatible ?

#6 ·
I'm not sure man. I'm sure someone way smarter than me will see this and chime in though. Good luck! Hopefully you accomplish what are are looking to do!

#8 ·
If you have the NAG1 tranny, you will simply have to change the bell housing to mate up to a Hemi. (AWD SXT should have the NAG1)

The bigger part of a Hemi swap is that you will need to change ot the PCM for a Hemi one and have it reflashed to mate it up to the car, instrument cluster, etc. You will also need to swap out all of the other parts that don't come with a crate engine.

It would be easier to add power to your 3.5L and far less expensive. Your engine has 250 HP and the Hemi from those years had 350 HP. You just need to add 100 HP to make up the difference. I'm guessing that even just 50 HP would probably make you very happy once you drove it.

You have higher ratio front and rear axle gears than the 5.7L RT came with in those years so 50 HP will feel like a lot.

BTW, you can also drop a Tidalwave Supercharger on your car for around $4500 plus install and net around 120 HP at the wheels.

#10 ·
I wouldn't want to boost an engine that uses a timing belt...and the 3.5 has rod bearing issues when you wind it above 6K for long....

Visit the 300M Club website and read about all the rod bearing problems with the 300M "Specials" with the 3.5 V-6. The redline was increased a whopping 200 rpm over the regular 300M, but that little bit seems to tear them apart.

#11 ·
Why do you think a timing belt is an issue? As long a it is new enough and boost is moderate, why would it be any issue at all? It's not like boost stresses the belt, it still has the same resistance from the internals.

Also, who in their right mind would hold a 3.5L at 6k rpm for long???

#14 · (Edited)
The RPM's aren't going to go higher than normal just because it has a SC. It'll get there quicker, but the tranny will change gears just like it does without. The times that you'd have higher than normal RPM's is at WOT, but the tranny will still change gears the same as it would without a SC. The only other time RPM's would exceed normal is when the MPH exceed normal. So unless he's racing top end, an engine won't be stressing at high RPM's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.