Charger Forums banner

Painful thread about my new Charger

11K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  bobtiff79 
#1 · (Edited)
So here I am, so excited about my Black 2014 SE, my first car that I have purchased.

It has been a little over a week and I have sadly found spider web markings all on my passenger side door from eggs. Every car on my street got hit..however my dash cameras got 100% of it and the police have already made arrests! Success! :beerchug:

However, that doesn't remove these webs. They are not the biggest things and are only really noticeable up-close but I want to get rid of them. Is there any particular product I should use, or methods? I'm okay with taking it to someone professional if that is what it takes. I consulted with my father and he thinks a simple buff on that area would be sufficient but I wanted to get more opinions from you guys.

Thanks for the help!

:edit: If this belongs in the "Exterior" section, please move it, and my apologies.

#9 ·
That should buff out... No joke either :D

Just wash off the spot, get an orbital buffer, some meguiars ultimate compound and watch it disappear before your eyes, you might have to make a couple of extra passes and a little more pressure than normal, whenever I'm taking out scratches it takes a little bit longer but it works.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#12 ·
Get it repaired professionally, if you can front the money and get reimbursed by the parents or file a claim against their insurance policy.

#13 ·
Whoever threw the eggs should have to pay for it. Everyone on your street should press charges and make them pay to fix the damage they caused.

I would say it's an easy fix with a portercable and meguiars compound. But I would have a professional (the most expensive one you can find) do it and make those bums pay for every last cent of it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#14 ·
You know, a video of that damage IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT would tell me a lot more about what you're actually looking at. Whoever told you not to wash it was a complete idiot. Eggs will eat through damn near anything and should be washed off IMMEDIATELY. As for fixing it yourself, you could but the learning curve to doing so is steep considering you need to fix it ASAP. Plus you have to buy everything you need. I would advise you to have a professional fix it and whatever you do, don't allow a dealership to buff it out. They are some of the worst hacks on the planet when it comes to fixing this stuff. Go see a real professional.

If you still want to try and do it yourself, here's your thread.

#15 ·
I'm pretty sure you need to rub the entrails of the offenders on the paint in order to make this right.

#16 ·
That will have to be repainted. The egg shell is a much harder surface than your paint. That damage is caused by the force of the impact.

Those are essentially a bunch of small chips in the paint and chips cannot be buffed away.

#18 ·
Even if he has, at least the info is up there for others who may encounter this issue as well and point them in the right direction to get it repaired properly instead of wasting resources attempting to buff out this type of damage that clearly needs to be repainted.

#26 ·
To be clear, these are not chips in the paint but rather they are fractures in the paint that go all the way to the primer underneath...

Note that the pattern is concentric rings. This is a result of the shape of the egg and the mass-velocity impact forces on the paint surface. It's not because the shell is harder than the paint, but rather that the mass pressure forces are magnified at the outer edges of the shell upon impact as it breaks up. The yolk is fluid and cannot focus energy at any given point.

This is also why there is little marking in the center since the impact pressure on the shell at the point caused it to break easily and not transfer the energy into the paint surface.

It's simple physics. A broom stick breaks easily in the middle but if it's punched at you like a spear, it will go right through you.

#28 · (Edited)
A bunch of pictures of expensive cars does not impress me. Anyone can fix paint on a car that barely sees the light of day. Fix a regular daily driver with a jacked-up paint job. That would impress me. There are all kinds of detailers who do this for a living and still assist others by showing how they do what they do so that's no excuse. With what I charge, it would be in my best interest to keep how I do what I do to myself. However, I have introduced thousands to this field because I believe in using the internet for what it was designed for, sharing information. I've been at this since the 1980's and my experience level is NOT limited to just fixing paint, it also covers body repair.

So before you join a forum and try to criticize someone's ability, learn who the players are. As you can see, I have way more ability and experience than you do and have been around the block a FEW times. When you can pop out a thread like this one, then I will be impressed. ;)

#30 ·
Wow, that got out of hand. Basically, what Ddaddy said. Those fractures go all the way down to the primer, there was no fixing that without repainting the door. The body shop tried, and even though it looked WAY better, you could still see it. Sorry, didn't take any pictures, wasn't really thinking about it at the time lol Anywho, that was my experience, for what it's worth ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.