Charger Forums banner

Timing Chain/Tensioner done and now have noise

7K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  ChargerPursuit 
#1 ·
Ugh! Local dealership finally got kit to do the Chain and Tensioner for my '10 Police car. I've seriously consider taking my chances and skipping it, because I've felt so certain this extremely quiet 5.7 that runs awesome would come out with some kind of problem. Normally I'm not a negative guy, but I swear I just expected there to be something wrong. I figured it would probably be noise in engine, and/or a leak, or something wrong. Btw, I brought two gallons of Distilled Water and paid for Synthetic upgrade. So, two days later car is ready to go. I start it, and seems ok, but I think I hear a little bit of a noise, but alot of noise around with other vehicles and the garage. So, I drove down the street. Stopped at light, I still think I hear something, so I pull over and pop hood. Sure enough, there is something knocking (best way I can describe it) and it seems to be up front. Obviously, I'm pissed. Turn around and went right back. Had to really control my anger. I know mistakes happen, but why did they call and say it's ready? Did mechanic not hear this noise? Of course he did! I call someone over and first guy is not mechanic, tries to give me a bit of double talk but realizes he's not dealing with a clueless person, automotively speaking. So he calls out a mechanic (not the one that worked on it, he was off that day), and with mechanic's stethascope he agrees noise sounds like up front and under timing cover, most likely. Other dude looks a little disappointed that mechanic confirms what I heard with the naked ear. Still controlling my temper, barely. I did ask why I was called to say it was done when there clearly is a noise. So, back to waiting on the damn courtesy van to take me back home and my car is there and I'm waiting on a call. Anybody have any guesses what could have gone wrong. Seems to me it's a relatively straight forward job, although labor intensive. Thank you for any input.

See less See more
#2 ·
There are a lot of steps to removing a timing chain and a lot can go wrong.
Without seeing the vehicle, I would say it's either the oil pump or water pump. Either one could have been worn out but not yet bad enough to give you any problems. The simple act of removing them, letting them dry out, then reinstalling them could have put either one over the edge.

If it does turn out to be one or the other, I'm sure the dealership will cry that it's not under warranty. Tell them that there was no problem before your mechanic removed it. I'm sure it will turn into a blame game, but stick to your guns and don't hesitate to call corporate.

For next time, since a mechainic was going to be removing the front part of the engine, I would probably want them to replace a few other items that wear since they're in there and these items had to be removed anyway, serpentine belt, tensioner, idler pullys and of course the water pump and oil pump. Don't let them charge you labor on these items either. They're already there, you're buying the parts from them, you're not asking them to do anything they're not already going to do.

Shortfuse

#3 ·
I just replaced the serpentine belt, tensioner and idler pulleys myself, and was going to have them do water pump until they told me $259.00. Car has 65,000 miles.

Still waiting for phone call. Figure it won't be until end of day or maybe not even today. I'll let you know.

#4 ·
Btw, not one single person (I talked to mechanic, service manager, and another guy who is above service advisor but I don't know his title) and not one single person said "I'm sorry". You'd think one of them would say "sorry for the inconvenience" or "sorry and we'll get this taken care of right away" or something like that. Nope, not a one. And I was not ranting and cussing. I wasn't happy but I didn't lose my temper or get rude. And then they wonder why dealerships have bad reputation, why people dread going there, and why people often don't return. Duh.

#5 ·
CP:
Sorry to hear of your luck of the draw on this. When "shopping" around for a repair like this, I think it best to find a dealer with one or more sizeable police departments nearby that run Chargers so you are likely not the first one or two they have done.
This is a moot point now obviously, but good for future reference.

Possibly they incorrectly installed a chain tensioner, or did not properly tighten some hardware. Whatever it turns out to be, they should make it right at no charge to you unless it is very clear that their work had no bearing on it.

We had the trans on an 07 Crown Vic rebuilt twice under the 5/60 powertrain warranty as the first rebuild did not make it past the 12month/12K mile warranty.

:0)

#6 ·
N8ECH, thanks. There are a few medium sized ones around here with Chargers. We have them now at Melbourne PD but started with '15's. What gets me is this was such a quiet 5.7. I'm hoping they call and say it was the Water Pump and they will cover it. Best case scenario in my eyes.

I wish I could run a Service Department for a month. I'd implement some changes. One would be to call customers when no timeline was given on when car would be ready. I was told they'd look at it Monday. I'd go down the list and call customers toward end of day with an update. Doesn't that just sound like good business. Even if they didn't get to it, customers would be so appreciative just to have a call and not feel forgotten. I already mentioned in above post I didn't even get one single "Sorry for inconvenience" or just a "sorry". Do they just automatically assume that I have a back up vehicle, and have lots of time to wait for their courtesy van (took over an hour to show up to drive me home). They don't know I work shift work, and am on nights now. Would have rather been sleeping, btw.

#7 ·
Please tell me what you think; they just called me back and said the damper was making the noise. Said they took it off and no noise, back on noise, several times. Said they will replace it at no cost since noise was not there when I brought it in. Sound plausible that is what was making noise up front? Didn't see or feel any vibration, but seems plausible to me. What do you think? Thank you.

#10 ·
It's kind of funny what the "Service Advisor" said when she called. She's probably about 21 years old, and couldn't find the obd II to plug into, btw. When she told me it's the damper, she said "it doesn't really do anything". Um what? Ok, so it's there for looks? Whatever, I just said ok, so when will it be ready. She was polite and doing her job.

Shortfuse; before I leave I am going to closely inspect belt and listen closely, of course. Belt, tensioner and idler all brand new. I put them on about a thousand miles ago. I even sprung for the blue silicone HD serpentine belt when I did the change. Thanks.

#12 ·
Haha, that's true. So I waited until 4pm on Friday. Damper was supposed to be in Friday morning, and they've had my car for a week and a day now, so I was hoping to hear something maybe after lunch, under the circumstances. So at 4pm I called and got advisor's voice mail. Left cordial message to please call me. Nothing by 5pm. They close at 6pm and I want my damn car back. So I figure an hour is long enough, and call again. They said she is with a customer, so I politely asked if someone else will please give me an update on my car, and stated that I don't have extra cars to drive to work, etc. She takes my name and number. Advisor calls me back and says she's been having a problem with her voice mail (yeah, right) and my car is ready. Wonder how long it's been sitting there ready. Oh well, it is quiet now, so if it will just stay that way, I will be happy and glad to have it over with. Btw, it was one quart low on oil. I checked it in the parking lot before I left. Didn't bother to say anything. Just babied it home, dumped the oil, put in QB oil and filter, and I'm done with the dealership hopefully forever.

#13 ·
Btw, for anyone in the Melbourne Florida area. GATOR CHRYSLER JEEP DODGE is the one who did the work, and someone there decided to obviously do some massive burnouts, and destroyed my two rear Eagle RSA tires, which were in very good condition with approximately 90-95% of the tread left. They are almost completely bald now. Didn't notice right away because I was so fixated on engine.

I am making appointment to speak with owner of dealership and explain to him several reasons why I will never be back again, and how I plan to contact FCA, fill out every survey I can find, and announce on every forum I can my experience, and tell every friend and family member my experience with GATOR CHRYSLER, JEEP, DODGE on US1 in Melbourne, FL.

#14 ·
One of the main reasons why I never feel comfortable bringing a car to the dealership. You never know if they're going to be professionals or act like a wanna be Richard Petty with a rental car.

Shortfuse

#15 ·
Same here. Prior to this, I cannot remember the last time I had my car at a dealership for service. Wait, yes I can. My SRT8 for the little thingy with the transmission. Quick easy fix that I could wait on while they replaced it, and I asked prior if it a test drive was necessary because I was not going to have them do it if so. The said no test drive necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.