Charger Forums banner

CEL Code P0520

15K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  AKCallahan 
#1 ·
Had this code before, and was advised to replace the oil pressure sensor. It was replaced at 146,000 miles with a mopar sensor.

After a solid week of snow and ice, I'd of course been driving my truck. I started my car and the CEL was on showing the same code. I now have 148,225 miles.

Last oil change was at 145,365 on 11/11/14.
Used Mobil 1 full synthetic like I have from day 1.

#2 ·
Code P0520 has the following possible causes:

ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO BATTERY VOLTAGE

RESISTANCE ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT

ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

RESISTANCE IN 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT

5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

RESISTANCE IN THE SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT

ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR

PCM

If you read between the lines, the most likely cause is a bad terminal connection or a short in the wiring. Since you replaced the sensor 2k miles ago and it corrected the issue for a while, it's likely that you have a bad connection or a broken/damaged wire at the connection.

First thing to do is disconnect the sensor, inspect for damage/corrosion and then replace using dielectric grease to get a positive contact and see if it resolves itself. My guess is that on sitting, the connection has been compromised due to weather and/or corrosion.

#3 ·
I just replaced my sensor for the second time, too. Both times I had code P0520.
First time: July 2013, 68000 miles. Contacts in the connector were coated with motor oil, so I flushed the connector with contact cleaner.
This time: Feb 2015, 81000 miles (only 13000 miles since replacement). Connector was clean, cleaned it out anyway with contact cleaner.

Both times I used the Mopar sensor (05149062AA).

#7 ·
Here are a couple pictures to help you with the location (5.7L HEMI).

Red arrow shows you the location of the sensor from above the alternator. In this picture you can just barely see the red clip that locks the electrical connector to the oil pressure sensor.

Red arrow shows you the location of the sensor from the front. You need to remove the serpentine belt to get to it from here.

Depending on the actual orientation of the sensor on your car, the red clip may be accessible from above (like mine was). If this is the case, you can probably replace the sensor from the front/top without having to jack up the car and remove the oil filter. This thread explains both ways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.