Charger Forums banner

Muscle Car?

6K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  krautmaster 
#1 ·
I saw threads debating whether or not a 4 door can be considered a muscle car. But what about a V6 powered car? Is 300 hp enough power for a 4 door Charger to be considered a muscle car? Your thoughts appreciated.

#3 ·
And here we go.....

#5 ·
I used to think putting v6s in muscle cars was just kind of lame and pointless. It's still a muscle car whether it's a mustang v6 or charger v6.... just a slower muscle car. The ecoboost mustang 4 banger is crazy though... so it's starting to change my opinion on if engine size matters so much. I kind of think companies making v6 muscle cars diminish the muscle image of their performance ones though

#6 ·
It can be considered whatever you want it to be. Whether others agree is a different story.

One of the older definitions was "An American made automobile with at least 1 HP for each 15 lbs of body weight". In that case, the 300 HP V6 Charger just makes it.

Other definitions include the number of doors and number of cylinders or change the HP/weight limit.

In the end, it only matters what YOU think it is.

There are no legal definitions of "Muscle Car" nor are there any "Muscle Car Police" to enforce a claim made for any car.

Call it whatever you want. :)

#11 ·
One of the older definitions was "An American made automobile with at least 1 HP for each 15 lbs of body weight". In that case, the 300 HP V6 Charger just makes it.
So I'll toss out the spare and strip down to my skivvies, and off I go!

The 3.6/8spd combination of technology and efficiency while still delivering good performance has its own charms. Not quite muscle but a nice example of American Iron and attitude anyway. Not a "Muscle" car, but a "In Pretty Good Shape" car. :grin2:

Reactions: a14umbra
#21 ·
A Chevelle SS or other SS models are certainly classic muscle cars...the current Chevy SS is too, it just is as bland as warm cornflakes.

Guess that sarcasm didn't read!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Actually it did, the sarcasm in my response was really directed at the Chevy SS Forums where folks post just that claim. I'm sorry if it didn't come across that way, I was actually supporting your sarcasm. :)

#18 ·
I like to think of my Charger R/T as a muscle car. It has the raw power, rear wheel drive, and it looks aggressive. Everybody has a different look on what a muscle car really is but that is my opinion on it.

Reactions: EddieFL
#19 ·
For me it has to have a v8. When I think of a muscle car, I'm thinking of what was defined by the domestics in the 60's. The number of doors don't matter to me as the sound, power and size. Muscle cars are large, roomy, powerful and have v8s.

What I'd say is happening to the Mustang is more along the lines of transforming it from a muscle car into a sports car. The move to better handling, brakes and a boosted motor seem to be in line with that.

Compare it to the challenger, larger, big motor, better brakes then of old but by no means is it a handling car.

So I think once a manufacture starts focusing on handling, MPG and braking they start moving away from muscle car status.

The question is. 'Is a v6 charger a muscle car?" I would say no. The 5.7, 6.4 and 6.2 are muscle cars, but the v6 is the base car, similar to options of the 60's where it was a regular family sedan unless you got the larger motor.

#20 ·
Depends who's asking. If a car guy took issue with calling my V6 a muscle car, I wouldn't argue. But my wife thinks of it as a muscle car and refers to it as a muscle car when talking to our friends and I happily don't correct her. To average people that would be splitting hairs, and not worth the time to explain. If it has the look and feel of a muscle car, it might as well be one. As for me, I know it's not the most powerful thing on the road but I like having the flavor of a muscle car and personally I like to think of it as one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#23 ·
Although I'm not inclined to call it a muscle, it is interesting that the V6 gets as much hp to the wheels as the classics did. Keeping the lines fuzzy. But I think I'll keep the "need a V8" requirement.

#25 ·
Although I'm not inclined to call it a muscle, it is interesting that the V6 gets as much hp to the wheels as the classics did..
Before I put the beasty 513 in my Newport it still had its original 383 HP (330 horsepower/425 ft/lbs of torque), my V6 Charger is a lot faster than the Newport ever was with that stock 383.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.