Charger Forums banner

2012 Charger SRT8 Top speed run/well sort of

4K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Jonny 
#1 · (Edited)
Road looked wide open so I decided to give it a run. This was a continuous UPHILL climb, still hit 165. Probably would of hit 175 easily if it was flat. Almost broke a little loose in the beginning. It's amazing how button down it feels at these speeds. This was not done in sport mode. This car does not have the tune in it as I'm still waiting for the CALID update. Can't wait to see If I can really feel difference with the new tune.

#3 ·
Yea by where I live there is just not a lot of flat roads. I really want to see what this car tops out. Everybody says 175 but I honestly think it can push 180. Ultimately I just want to see what it feels like to hit 200. I will have to go to autobahn for that :driving:

#6 ·
Yeah, these cars ride "disturbingly well" at 100+. I had my V6 Charger up to 125 mph once or twice, and it didn't feel any different than 80. :shifty:

That was not the top-speed... I never had the chance to find it. :(

#10 ·
I think those v6 charger top at 127 or 126. I forgot I used to have one a long time ago. It's govern though. How does your mustang feel at those speeds.

I would be interested to see what she could do on the Autobahn as well :) You might need a 2.65 rear for a good top end run though.
There is a member here that owns a 2012 and have driven on the autobahn with it. I forgot how fast he got up too. If I ever want to go 200 on the autobahn. A charger will not get there. Probably going to get a proche or a shleby. There is not a four door sedan that can do 200 is there?

Thats just plain f'in stupid...hope a minivan full of kids doesn't just somehow appear in front of you..

Sent from my MB855 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Though I'm not going to say its the smartest thing to do. Might I remind you. This highway was basically completely clean so I was hardly putting anyone in danger. All the cars were in the far right lane on the 3 lane highway while I'm on the far left. As far as dangerous drivers, during my commute from work which I drive 40k plus a year, I rarely ever do 10 over. I have seen plenty of caravans driving 90 plus with soccer signs on the back of their vans while dodging and weaving out of traffic and slamming on their brakes that scares the crap out me.

I like to speed. However I do try to do it when traffic is fairly clear. And I don't think a highway is gonna get any clearer than that. I have gotten in one accident in my life and it was because a caravan driver hit me while I was completely stop at stop sign feom behind because she was texting. So although I know I'm not going to change your mind, that's just my 2 cents.

#11 ·
I think those v6 charger top at 127 or 126. I forgot I used to have one a long time ago. It's govern though. How does your mustang feel at those speeds.
*Stock* it topped out at about 118 mph. I had much better tires and a Predator... and about $3k in suspension mods. ;)
Haven't had the Mustang much past 110 mph so far, on the back stretch at Mid Ohio. It's still on the stupid-skinny a/s tires it came with. :rolleyes2: Hopefully next spring it will get some much-needed wheels+tires. :)

#13 ·
man coming from a guy who works crazy accidents on a regular. all it takes is a dip in the road to unload the suspension send you in to a skid and into other cars....also a lane change from someone that looks and see you a 1/4mi back then change lanes and you are on top of them cause they had no way of knowing you were going 165.... that was a bad idea.... top speed runs if you must do them 2 or 3 am no cars in sight so you only take yourself out. when sugar goes to sh!t. ya know

#15 ·
X2 on the "It doesn't take much" to crash.

These cars are pretty stable, but can be unsettled very easy. Amazing what can happen just by the air from the car you are passing (with a 80 mph speed differential) too close to... Trust me, I have learned this firsthand.

#14 · (Edited)
There is a member here that owns a 2012 and have driven on the autobahn with it. I forgot how fast he got up too. If I ever want to go 200 on the autobahn. A charger will not get there. Probably going to get a proche or a shleby. There is not a four door sedan that can do 200 is there?
There was a magazine awhile back that showed a new 200+ MPH 426 SRT-8 Charger :) I forget where I saw that.

#17 ·
Sorry, I agree, 165 isnt inherently unsafe, but other traffic, even two lanes over, thats the issue. People plan traffic moves based on the expectation that other traffic is going a reasonable speed, which they view as somewhere under 100. They dont scan far enough back to account for a car almost tripling 65mph. Granny might pull a double lane change, having checked her rearview, and never looking back again, because she cleared far enough back and doesn't expect another vehicle to approach that fast.

Animals, well, that's the driver problem, however, if that animal gets that driver out of control, suddenly some family out for a drive has a 165mph, 4300lb missile coming at them, and suddenly it's their problem as well. So, in closing, if there is ANY traffic, going these speeds is irresponsible, IMO. Not that NY, in the fall, might have deer entering the roadway, right?

#18 ·
OK, let's see...

165 mph with only one hand on the wheel...

Other cars on the road....

Posted a video on a public forum showing all of the above...

Yeah...Darwin is in play.

:nonod:

#20 · (Edited)
Which Darwinian principle Dave? Surivival of the dumbest?

If this was my forum I would have locked your thread the moment I saw it and banned you for acting like a selfish attention seeking child. It's all good man. That other testicle will drop when you hit mental puberty...

#27 ·
While I don't agree with the OP driving during the day with other drivers (I'd have done it early in the morning) I don't see why the new SRT8s cant get above 170, back when I first got my SRT8 I was driving from Hampton to D.C for work and I hit 180 with no tune, it was in my EVIC for the longest time as being my highest recorded speed until I just had work done recently and it was reset with a battery disconnect. Took F-O-R-E-V-E-R to get from 170 to 180 though... Don't remember how long but it did hover around 178 get to 180 then drop to 179-180, 178 etc... aerodynamics FTL.

My run was done @ 3AM with zero traffic (didn't see a car the whole time, and for a long time after).

#30 ·
My car's speed limit is stupidly set to 298 km/h which is around 188 mph. My only complain is the air noise that starts from 240 km/h till weirdly 285 km/h, then it gets quiet as if you're doing 50 mph. Handling is good, better in sport though due to the suspension hardening.

Removed the speed limited last night using my trinity and it amazingly got to 315 km/h could have done more but the road was almost over.
This was done on a 15 km long road at 3 a.m with no other cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.