Charger Forums banner

Strut replacement=no more clunk?

10K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Sublime774 
#1 ·
I have an 06 Srt, and like everyone else I have the front end clunk. I have replaced end links, sway bar bushings, tie rods and strut tensioner. Everything else is good except for one strut. I'm going to replace both struts as well as the upper strut mounts with mopar part # 05181575aa (Apparently fixes clunk issue?) I'm hoping this is the answer. Has anyone had luck when replacing struts?

#2 ·
That may or may not solve the clunk. I have a clunk and its the lower ball joint behind the tension strut....When I did my eibach swap that was the only piece that I did not replace....2 weeks after the install I had the front end clunk...

So I would recommend getting under the car, look at the boots see if they are leaking and then get a pry bar and check for play

#3 ·
It's possible. The '06 SRT had struts that were claimed to have a too aggressive rebound rate leading to the "clunk". I've never done it so I'm interested to see if it works for you.

#5 · (Edited)
As Ddaddy said, the '06 SRT "Charger" struts had too quick a rebound rate which often caused the clunk. I replaced mine with '06 SRT "300" struts and springs since they are tuned for a slightly softer ride. No more clunk. I did, however, replace the upper mount plate at the same with the struts. I could tell the ride was less jarring when I went over bumps with the 300 struts. A much better ride IMO. The front height of the car went up by 0.4". I have pics on here with both strut/spring combos side by side for comparison.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137156&highlight=

#7 ·
Yes they can. Just make sure that the struts/springs and shocks/springs stay matched since they are tuned to work together.

#11 ·
Can someone describe the "clunk"?

I apologize in advance if this has been covered elsewhere or if I'm asking in the wrong place.

I just bought an '07 Daytona with ~108k miles a few weeks ago, and I'm noticing a "clunk" or "thunk" in the front suspension, but only when only a slightly rough surface. In other words, pot holes and speed bumps don't seem to cause it. I guess one example would be expansion joints on an interstate road, or larger cracks in asphalt. The noise seems to be on both sides of the front suspension, but is slightly louder on the left. Does anyone have suggestions for where I should look first? Thanks for any help you can give.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.