Charger Forums banner

Crack on the roof on Charger SRT8

Tags
#crack
5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  morepowerjoe 
#1 ·
I drive 09 Dodge Charger SRT8, and it have 51,000 mile on it. i been hearing loud cracking sound coming from the roof. I saw a 1" inch crack on the roof next to the sunroof. I took the car to a local dealership and even call the SRT support center to show them the crack and I was told that it was nothing they could do because my car was out of warranty. I did some searching on line and came across many customers with similar issues. I didn't know what options to take. My roof is starting to leak due to the crack and I developed another crack on the opposite side. The occurrences of the cracks in my roof are due to extreme flexing in the frame of the vehicle. In my opinion, this is a structural issue and a safety concern. I believe the vehicle is structurally unsound and I would like Dodge to fix it or replace it. Is any body have the same problem? Please let me know?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Need more details. Did you buy the car brand new from a dealer? If not, did you run a complete history report when you purchased the car. Looking for possible repairs from accident. Seems Strange that it would crack without having seen some damage somewhere.

Another thought, has the sunroof ever been repaired?

#7 ·
Need more details. Did you buy the car brand new from a dealer? If not, did you run a complete history report when you purchased the car. Looking for possible repairs from accident. Seems Strange that it would crack without having seen some damage somewhere.

Another thought, has the sunroof ever been repaired?

Yes, I bought the car brand new from dealer with 0 mile on it. and yes I run complete history report when I purchased the car thru car fax. and I never have accident on this car. I barely drive it that why it have 51,000 mile. there no dent on roof. I will go to dealer again about the warranty on his car. it should have 5 year/100k mile warranty on body panels.

#5 ·
Yes, I bought the car brand new from dealer with 0 mile on it. and yes I run complete history report when I purchased the car thru car fax. and I never have accident on this car. I barely drive it that why it have 51,000 mile. there no dent on roof. I will go to dealer again about the warranty on his car. it should have 5 year/100k mile warranty on body panels.

#14 ·
Lol. To funny.

#16 ·
I hit something in the road and it twisted my roof and left a dent on each side of my sunroof. Pretty big dents too. So I researched it for a while and found out that this was kind of a common problem. When i got done with the insurance company they acted like the dents where a entirely separate incident. to make a long story short I believe that the LX platform or whatever you want to call it is weak in the unibody structure which is the middle of the car in between the sub-frames is also another way you could put it I guess so what did I do I bought some subframe connectors and had them welded in instead of fixing the dents with the insurance money that I had left over that way when I do get the dents repaired I won't have to worry about this happening again hopefully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.