Charger Forums banner

AC vents not working in the back???

21K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  Ocam98 
#1 ·
One of the guys I work with has a Charger as well and although I have not had this problem I recall something on here about a similar situation. He has had a problem with AC vent in the back not blowing cold. So he went to a dealership in Orlando and they gave him some story about how it wasn't an AC vent but some kind of air return. Long story short, his wife called the dealership this morning (their car is still there getting other things done to it) and they said something about a possible TSB coming out for this as there have been a lot of documented problems with this system. Does anyone know anything about this (is there already one out or heard of one coming out) so I can relay him the additional info?

#3 ·
i guess i should check mine, i remember a friend said it was blowing hot air a while ago, but i didnt care at the time and forgot about it because i never ride in the back seat hehe :cool:

#5 · (Edited)
In order for you to feel anything out of the rear vents, you need to have the fan on high. I think I read that in my owners manual. Otherwise, the fan cannot push the air that far on low. They should work with all climate controls, automatic or manual. MIne work with the fan on high, though its not that much air. Its just enough to say it works though and does help. :)

#10 ·
In order for you to feel anything out of the rear vents, you need to have the fan on high. I think I read that in my owners manual.
I read this too. The back vents are not supposed to function in "Auto" unless the fan is set to "high". I don't know about in the other modes, though.

#7 ·
Mine either i took to dealer while back and I was told they are only blowing circulated air no ac

#8 ·
Its an air conditioning vent that doesn't work well. I figure since the plastic duck sets over the trany hump it takes a while for the air to get cooled down due to the retained heat on the long uninsulated duck work. If it is on for 15 min or so it starts getting cold. I thought it was a crappy design and was thinking of wrapping the duck with insulation myself but now there might be a TSP I'll wait.

#9 ·
The rear vents are not directly linked to a blower motor. The air suply tube goes under the seats for the floor vent and the ones in the back of the center console, the ones usually claimed as not working have a design flaw. The air comes into the cavity in the console, then has to go up towards the vents. If there was a fan mounted inside the console to move the air, those vents would be more efficient.

#11 ·
i swear when i test drove one last year...i had some buddies sittin in the back with the salesman sitting next in the passsenger seat. He said watch this and turned the a/c on full blast and my friend in the back who was sittin in the middle said those lil vents were blowin so cold that they were givin him snowballs!! however, on the r/t i bought, they don't blow worth a damn either....just a little!!

#13 ·
The floor vents will blow good, for heat or cool, if you have it on floor, Those vents in the back don't do much, Flip your ac to recirculate and check the rear vents on the console. This may give you a little more output.

#14 ·
Update from my friend ..... his wife took this one by the reins and raised he** at the dealership. Like I said in the first post, the dealership said it was just an air return and not an AC vent at all and they jerked them around with excuse after excuse. They kept the car for a week or so while waiting for different parts to come in to make it "function properly". Get this though ... she also had them intall the rear entertainment system at no cost to her!!! I asked her how she accomplished that one; she said she got the dealership owner, cornered him and made a stink about how a $30,000+ car that doesn't have any (or minimal) rear air is unacceptable for a family car with 2 kids that sit in the back. (Remembering this is Florida and it does get uncomfortably hot in the rear during the summer.) Long story short, she threatened to get the local media involved and to smooth things out they offered (as she previously suggested) to place a rear DVD system in for the inconvenience. Go figure. I'd say this was just another story that was full of it unless i knew them personally. Why can't I ever get that lucky? :knockout:

#16 ·
It happens, my gf is like that lol
Hmmm... Maybe someone can mod their rear vents with a pc fan that can do variable air settings... Maybe led lights too...

#17 ·
Here's the basic problem why the rear vents blow so little air. They are fed by a small tube that travels in twists and turns over the tranny hump in the center of the vehicle. It is being heated by the hot tranny and exhaust running below it. It simply can't push enough air to provide adequate cooling to the rear, and the air is gaining heat as it goes.

Now if you want to "hold the cold" (reduce heat gain) open the center console and insulate the tube so that the air moving through it stays at a colder temp...

Attachments

#18 ·
Here's the basic problem why the rear vents blow so little air. They are fed by a small tube that travels in twists and turns over the tranny hump in the center of the vehicle. It is being heated by the hot tranny and exhaust running below it. It simply can't push enough air to provide adequate cooling to the rear, and the air is gaining heat as it goes.

Now if you want to "hold the cold" (reduce heat gain) open the center console and insulate the tube so that the air moving through it stays at a colder temp...

I have a 2013 Dodge Challenger that was blowing warm air via the rear vents.
Solution check all the plugs to the ac door actuators and make sure they are securely plugged. There is a total of three actuators. Two in the dash drivers side and one on the passenger side behind the glove box. I had the mechanic check the function of the actuators and they were not opening or closing completely as per the Error codes. I replaced one on the driver side and one on passenger side from the Dodge dealership as they would not respond to the diagnostic computer commands for recalibration. I tried the actuators from Advance Auto Parts and they would not work properly to the recalibration.

I now have cold air blowing out the rear vents like when the car was new. All AC vents working properly.
Frosty cool air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.