Charger Forums banner

Matching Plum Crazy Paint

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  PlumCrazyDaytona 
#1 ·
At a recent event, one of the guys at the table, owns a paint supply company. We got talking about cars, and I asked him why the PC paint is so difficult to match. He pulled up some stuff on his phone and pointed to the additives that ran a couple hundred just for the additive. He explained how the paint shops get paid on insurance jobs, and even how they will quote a personal job without truly looking up the paint code. There was a lower cost additive that is similar, but still not right. Most insurance jobs don't even put in any additive, and then spray back to blend it in, but the car will never look right.

I made the mistake of asking about painting the decals on my car, and he asked are you ready to respray your entire car??? That led to discussion on orange peel. He suggested 7-8 to get a "good" job. Great job, 18-20. Show quality, 30-40!!!

I'll be happy with what I have!

#2 ·
IDK where he get prices from to repaint a car with mirror surface paint on a complete re-spray but the price of $30-40K for show quality doesn't make sense unless he means stripping the car down to the chassis. For a show quality paint job on a post production car in the same color as factory, $25K is the very top end. For something better than factory...$10K. Same as factory is less than that...closer to $7k depending on the shop and who you know. Do a lot of the trim removal yourself and get closer to the $5k mark.

#3 ·
He was talking about the absolute top end show winning cars. Mentioned wet sanding with a long sanding block.

#4 ·
Im glad you made a post about our paint! My favorite body shop a guy that has done many of my vehicles and has matched silver on our stratus..brilliant black...inferno red...and cool vanilla...

Told me when I went to see him about paint chips..."come back when I can shoot the whole car" end quote. Dave said I will help with touch ups but I wont shoot the car unless its the whole car because no matter how good I blend you will see the damage

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.