Charger Forums banner

6.1 charger Advice for drags!!

4K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Hemi31 
#1 · (Edited)
So i've had my 2010 charger SRT8 for almost a year now, Hadn't had it on the road for about 3 months and put insurance back on for summer.

Only upgrades I have done so far are the diablo tuner, K&N CAI and billet catch can

Took it to the track my first time on sunday and was running 6.5 on the 1/8 MILE (Only have 1/8 mile close to me) But my main problem was the tires not hooking up and the Auto (Even though in slapshift mode) Was shifting really early it seemed.

Now I want some advice for people who drag there SRT, No one else! lol

Thinking of some slicks to hook up better , What size are you guys running and what P.S.I Etc.

Has anyone messed with the diablo tune as per Shift points with the autostick and what not, What has worked for you on the strip and what hasn't?

Any other advice/tips that could shed my time down let me know!?

RACE ON!

Edit: Why isn't my Sig showing anymore? Haven't been on here in awhile and doesn't seem to be showing up.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
you mean 8.5 right? What are you trapping? The key is just roll into throttle. Most guys drop it down to 20 psi.

EDIT: Oh and traction control on, Semi-off or fully off... What do you guys do?

#7 ·
Well, if you want to get the best times then you need Hoosier drag slicks on 17" wheels. Then you can go full throttle at the light and get complete traction with your (mostly) stock set-up.

Run in full auto mode, let the tranny shift itself. It does much better than you can using the auto-stick on a stock car.

I leave Traction control ON. Why? Because if I have good traction, it won't intervene and if I'm losing traction I want it on in case things go bad. Spinning isn't winning and if the tires are losing traction your time already sucks so why turn it off? Of course. i turn it off to do a good burnout and heat the tires, but then I turn it back on before I get to the line.

You can also just turn it partially off if you choose to allow some wheel spin but like I said, if the tires are spinning you aren't winning.

Also, turn your A/C off if it isn't already. Dripping water consensation on the track will cause you to spin the tires...and will make the rest of the racers unhappy.

If you are running stock tires then you need to learn the art of the roll-into-the-throttle. It takes practice to get the feel for how to feather the throttle to keep the wheels from spinning on launch.

And to be sure, like Cuts said, your 1/8 time isn't 6.5. It just isn't possible. Re-check the track length or re-examine the time slips. Something isn't right with those numbers being for a full 1/8 mile.

#8 ·
But doesn't traction control not let all the power hit the wheels? I assumed turning it off delivered all the power to the wheels. If I'm wrong correct me. Because if not true then I would keep it on for more traction.

A/c was off, Didn't think about condensation but it does create drag so i kept it off.

I messed around with the shift points in diablo tuner but it seemed like it was shifting out of first at like 4000RPM so something was wrong

#9 ·
Yes it is true. I have try multiple traction on with my 2009 srt8 0-60 vs complete no traction. I ran faster every single time with it off. Same with 1/4 miles.

If you read reviews of every car like edmunds. Cars are almost slower by 2-3 tents with tc on. Learn how to launch for optimal time with traction control off.

#10 ·
Traction control (ESP) doesn't restrict power in any way on the SRT unless the wheels actually spin. It's a myth that it restricts power before spin is detected by the sensors.

In fact, the full-on mode in the SRT is the least intrusive of any of the models and will actually allow a small amount of spin even when fully on. I can do a controlled wheel spin on mine in full on mode as long as I feather the throttle and the ESP program senses that I am in control and holding the spin to a narrow range.

#18 · (Edited)
From Chrysler themself

" fully off for driving enthusiasts who need to make high speed maneuvers which wheel slip is needed such as cornering at high speeds or rapid acceleration from a complete stop"

#15 ·
I was just at the track with my SRT8 last night (6.1, diablo, CAI, res deletes, tranzformer)

Did all my runs in autostick with the car doing the upshifts, I ran 13.3 with ESP off, then I tried a run with ESP on and got a 13.6 so it does seem to hold back some power

BTW - even with a 13.3 @105 my 660' (1/8 mi) was 8.67, take a close look at your timeslips, they should have some detailed info for you

#16 ·
Well, what happens with ESP on is that if there is wheels slip, it pulls power and that costs more time that a little wheel slip might.

If you run with it off, you still spin but without the power being pulled you get a slightly faster time.

Either way you are spinning and that tells you that you need to get better traction through tires, air pressure or throttle feathering.

The time in my sig was done at Memphis Motorsports Park on a crappy track prep with ESP full on. Nobody could get a good grip on the track that day. I ran a dozen times and modified my launch technique until the ESP didn't intervene anymore. Having ESP on forced me to get better at launches and improve my time.

Using the ESP on forced me to stop trying to work the clock and pay more attention to working the car. Improvement on the clock was the natural result. It is a very useful tool in IMHO.

#19 ·
I ran my best times with TC off and learning to quickly roll on the power coming off the line. Having the TC on increases torque management which retards timing a bit more during shifts. Torque management is reduced when TC is off. Check out my best time in my SIG. I ran 18 trips down the track one day and was all over the bottom end of the 13 second range. Finally broke into the 12's towards the end of the day.

#20 · (Edited)
Well, if you want to get the best times then you need Hoosier drag slicks on 17" wheels.
im curious why you said 17" wheels?? with as much torque as our cars have off the line, wouldn't that create (more) spin on take-off than having a larger wheel (ie: the stock 20" wheels)??

please explain :)

#21 ·
17in wheel will have more sidewall on the tire, letting it flex more giving you better chance to hook..

#23 ·
17in wheel will have more sidewall on the tire, letting it flex more giving you better chance to hook..
Smaller wheel with higher sidewall that can flex to maintain traction on launch.
never thought of that way. thanks for the info!!

to be sure I understand what your saying: the total size of the wheel + tire would still be similar to what the standard 20" wheel is? the extra 3 (ish) inches being made up in the tire side wall - 1.5" top and bottom....is that right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.