Charger Forums banner

4 Cylinder Charger?

27K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  CHARLIE 
#1 ·
Would you buy a Charger with a 4 cylinder? Would it be possible to use a 4 cylinder for every day use? say a turbo 2.4L that has been stroked? The 5.7L is actually a 2.85L in the MDS mode? If I could get close to say 22MPG city and 30MPG highway I would be interested.

#3 ·
you'll get worse gas mileage with a 2.4.That motor is too small to lug a 4500 pound car . You'll have to rev more to move the amount of mass then you would with a 6 or 8.

#10 · (Edited)
If not a 4 cylinder would you buy an ENVI powered Charger? If they could do the same as the Caravan or the 4 door Wrangler would be people be interested? 400 mile out of 8-9 gallons but how much would a mass porduced range extended vehicle cost? When are we going to see the next generation Charger/300? But a stroked 2.4L could probably equal 3.0L for a 4 cylinder. Then it would come down to torque and horsepower mated to the correct transmission.

I get 16-17 city and 24-26 highway with my 3.5. My local muffler shop said I can expect as much as 2MPG increase with a Magnaflow muffler upgrade [total cost out the door was quoted at $145 for the upgrade]

#11 · (Edited)
If not a 4 cylinder would you buy an ENVI powered Charger? If they could do the same as the Caravan or the 4 door Wrangler would be people be interested? 400 mile out of 8-9 gallons but how much would a mass porduced range extended vehicle cost? When are we going to see the next generation Charger/300?
Chrysler announced The Next Gen 300/Charger for the 2011 Year to be built in 2010, so that means we will see them around August of 2010, to answer your question.

From what rumors I hear though, the Front Bench Seat may come back, that'd be cool.

#12 ·
I wouldn't. I couldnt fit my big wheels (22+) on my car they way I like.

#14 ·
It was a guesstimate not an official weight, jeez people.
Every car is different , and every driver is fatter or thinner. Does a 2.4 in a 4500 pound car do any better than in a 4000 lb car? ya , but seriously now.

You'll never get the 2.4 in the lx. I'd love to see the nvh issues that would bring up trying to use a 2.4 to move a ring and pinion, 2 axles, 20 inch wheels, driveshaft, torque converter and transmission. That'd be a drivetrain loss of a good 40%. Thats why the 2.4 is mated to transaxles not transmissions. The 2.7 never should have even been put in this car.

#31 ·
A transaxel IS a transmission. The only part it eliminates is the drive shaft.

#16 ·
There is a reason why not many manufacturers make large displacement 4 cylinder engines. Harmonically, inline 6 cylinders are the most balanced. Ever wonder why every class 8 semi runs a giant straight six motor?

V-6 and V-8 engines have slightly worse harmonics, but the trade off is a shorter length.

Inline 4 cylinder engines have nasty harmonic properties. Usually any 4 cylinder larger than 2.2/2.3L needs balance shafts to smooth out the second order vibrations. These balance shafts rob way too much power.

The 300 hp 2.4L SRT 4 cylinder would have no trouble pushing around a 3600 Lbs (the engine weighs less so car weighs less) Charger IF it had at least a 6 sp auto trans and very low gears in the rear end (at least 4.11, 3.90 for a manual). What makes it fail in the Caliber is the total lack of gearing for such a heavy car.

#35 ·
There is a reason why not many manufacturers make large displacement 4 cylinder engines. Harmonically, inline 6 cylinders are the most balanced. Ever wonder why every class 8 semi runs a giant straight six motor?

V-6 and V-8 engines have slightly worse harmonics, but the trade off is a shorter length.

Inline 4 cylinder engines have nasty harmonic properties. Usually any 4 cylinder larger than 2.2/2.3L needs balance shafts to smooth out the second order vibrations. These balance shafts rob way too much power.

The 300 hp 2.4L SRT 4 cylinder would have no trouble pushing around a 3600 Lbs (the engine weighs less so car weighs less) Charger IF it had at least a 6 sp auto trans and very low gears in the rear end (at least 4.11, 3.90 for a manual). What makes it fail in the Caliber is the total lack of gearing for such a heavy car.
That is why BMW engines get praised so much. Most car reviewers describe the engine as silky and not like most american made V6 engines that sound coarse under heavy throttle. The Chrysler 3.5L isn't very smooth but way better than my previous GM 3.8L OHV pushrod that sounded like a meat grinder when flooring it.

#29 ·
No, I would not buy a 4-cyl Charger, even if it was a turbo version with over 300 hp ... that would either mean an under-powered car or a peaky / lag-filled turbo experience .... no thanks.

And the mileage would not be any better ...

you'll get worse gas mileage with a 2.4.That motor is too small to lug a 4500 pound car . You'll have to rev more to move the amount of mass then you would with a 6 or 8.
x2 ... mine weighed 4530 lbs with me in it when I had it at the track last year.

Good luck moving that with a 2.4 4-banger .... hahaha

Come on now. The SXT weights in at 3800 - 3850lbs.
Some models weigh up to 4200-4300 lbs ...

I wouldn't have bought this car with anything less than a v8.
x 999,999,999

:D

#30 ·
OK....nobody would want a 4 cylinder Charger.....but nobody has said if they would go for the range extended ENVI powered Charger. I would be interested if the price was reasonable and compariable to the R/T. If the new Pheonix V6 Charger gets 30MPG or so I would opt for a direct replacement for my 3.5L SXT Charger

#32 ·
I had a PT Cruiser before with the 2.4 L 4 cyl engine. ON a good day, I averaged out at 23 mpg. I added a CAI, hotter plat plugs and fatter/performance grade plug wires and increased the gas mileage to 29 mpg. The PT Cruiser was underpowered for its weight. A 2.4 in the Charger would be WAY underpowered. Even with a turbo... IMO.

#38 ·
What I would love to see is a 2.7 or 3.6 liter V6 with MDS and GDI (gas direct injection) and turbocharging using a 4 valve per cylinder Polyquad head designed by David Vizard.

This combination together would probably net about the same as an srt8 6.1 but run on 3 cylinders at cruise and use much less gas because GDI gives the ability to reduce the gasoline pressure wave event at light throttle while the polyquad would act like a vvt without the mechanicals and the turbo at cruise would be free wheeling.

What a package that would be!!

Brian

#42 ·
#45 ·
I only live in Elizabeth City because I am stationed here. If I could afford it I would be living in nearby Camden. Elizabeth City is OK but it has problems that shouldn't exist in a small town like this. Bit it is only a 40 minute drive to the Outer Banks or an hour to Virginia Beach so it isn't all that bad here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.