Charger Forums banner

Old Car Nut Thinking of a Charger

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  drsvelte 
#1 ·
I am not a current Charger owner, but I have soft spot for Mopars. My favorite past one was a 1973 Duster 340. I am a muscle car guy and love to drive a manual. I have that covered with a Camaro SS 1LE. I also enjoy Test and Tune drag racing. The Camaro is my toy right now for that hobby.

All of my kids are grown and moved out so I am thinking of adding a sedan to my garage. I have a beater Jetta that was used to send two of my daughters to school. But I long for a cruiser. My wife has a Rav4 so we have the AWD station wagon thing covered. It's really her turn for a new car, but she loves the Rav, so I figure a sedan with an auto is a car we both can enjoy.

I love driving a fun car. At first I was thinking a Chevy SS. But it's pricey and not very good looking and I understand it drives much like my Camaro. That's a good thing but I already have one, so I decided to look at something different. Then I was thinking FWD between the Mazda6 (still a great value), Accord V6, and the Toyota Avalon. Out of those three I think the V6es are more fun and the Avalon might be the best of the three. It's very light, roomy, and quick with the V6. Also the suspension has been firmed up and I have read it's fun to drive.

But lately, the more I read, the 2015 Charger is looking more attractive. I did rent a 2014 SXT on a vacation and we both liked it. So started reading about the 2015 updates and I understand it is a big improvement over the older Chargers.

If I do go Charger, I think it's between a R/T Road and Track and maybe a Scat Pack. I am not sure if any Scat Packs have been delivered yet, so I suppose there are no opinions on that as a cruiser sedan. I love the idea of a 392 under the hood and 12 second ETs. But I wonder if it might be too extreme like my Camaro. Maybe not really the right car for a long drive. So the R/T R&T might be the best compromise. Optioned the way I want it, it would be about $5K cheaper than the Scat Pack. And I'm sure there is more room to bargain on the R/T as Scat Packs may remain scarce. After reading about both, they may have the same suspension.

So for now I will look at the R/T threads. Looking forward to seeing Scat Packs at Atco. There was a Challenger Hellcat there las week running 10.8s with only drag radials. Awesome. My Camaro has about the same power, but turbos and especially turbos with manuals are very hard to get good times with. I only got to see Hellcat taillights.

See less See more
#2 ·
R/T with the R&T package and you will be very happy. Roomy, powerful, full of gadgets and goodies, and subtle. Not only that, the $5K you save yourself on the scat pack, you can get a TON of goodies for it that will add lots of power and get you in the 392 HEMI range. Also, the "fuel saver technology" (MDS) helps keep the gas mileage high........when you're not mashing the gas pedal.

Just my $0.02, and the new models are sexier (in my opinion) than the older ones, and more reliable as well as better built.

#4 ·
I have always liked the Charger. Real attitude! I almost went for an SRT back when I bought my first 5th gen Camaro. But the latest changes have renewed my interest. And I am amazed at how many features you get for $40K. Along with a real V8. Then you look at the SS and wonder how they priced that car.

Good point about mods. But I have been through that adding big power and other stuff to my Camaro. I just want to drive the sedan. But I may get the bug for mild mods. The RT R&T looks like a great performance value. You get alot of SRT with that option. And a 13 second ET is nothing to sneeze at. It makes driving the car more fun. It may be the best compromise of performance, luxury, and price of almost any car.

#3 ·
If you can swing it, go for the SRT.

R/T with RT would be second choice.

If you're really rich, Hellcat :)

#5 ·
I am not rich. But maybe I could swing a Hellcat. I would never pay over sticker for a car. If the Hellcat Charger came out 2 years ago before I started all out modding my Camaro I might already own one. That car has everything I want with no mods. My Camaro as it sits will give a manual Hellcat a run for its money. But the autos are too consistent and fast. And if I want to I can easily add another 200 HP to my Camaro. With turbos you can just add more boost and fuel until the bottom end gives out.

I think the SRT would be perfect but I would like to be closer to $40K than $50K. However the Scat Pack splits the difference. I plan to wait and see if Dodge will build enough of them to make them not so hard to get.

Otherwise the RT R&T is a great choice. But if I can get the 392 at a good price, I may go for that.

#7 ·
I went with the RT Plus. This is the first 4 door sedan I've ever owned. It comes with all the good stuff except adaptive cruise. The car is super comfortable, quiet, solid and has plenty of power if you're just going to daily drive it.
The car came off the lot with a sunroof, an option I never would have ordered but now I love it. I went with Jazz Blue as the color and it looks great. It is a royal pain to keep clean. It shows EVERYTHING. If possible I think it's harder to keep clean than black...

#9 ·
That is a very nice car you have there. I like sunroofs too. Just about every car we have owned in recent years has one including my current Camaro. It gives you a little bit of convertible without giving you too much convertible. I like the dark colors too. But for this car my wife will be picking the color. She enjoys driving and has a very heavy foot.

#11 ·
I have noticed a few of the 15's around. I know not everyone is happy with the changes. I did like the brawny look of the older Chargers, but the new one is very attractive to me when you see it in person. Still looking forward to Scatpack reviews.

I do have a question. When I browse the forums I see there are many threads. But if I try to look through the older threads I only see the first page or two listed on some of the very large forums. Am I doing something wrong?

#12 ·
Am I doing something wrong?
No. But what you need to do is to change the number of threads shown. When you are in a forum, go to the bottom of the page to the Display Options box. There you can change the number to be anywhere from "last day" to "beginning."

Good luck with your car search!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.