Charger Forums banner

2014 brake upgrade: R/T to police

34K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  larrygoodall 
#1 ·
OK, kids, here's the part numbers and prices of what you'll need to upgrade your 2014 Charger R/T brakes to police specs, courtesy of moparonlineparts dot com.

front calipers 68209539AA and 68209538AA $107.64 each
front rotors 5154118AD x2 $106.61 each
brake shields 4779326AA and 4779327AA $6.56 and $6.79
front pads 68209532AA $79.35

rear caliper brackets 68166717AA x2 $74.81 each
rear rotors 4779438AF x2 $98.67 each
rear pads 68209530AA $79.35

Total for parts is $934.16 plus shipping.

#4 ·
Evidently the front caliper mounting bracket is the same. I gave them VINs from an R/T and a Pursuit and asked them to compare the two, and that's what they came up with.

I think there is a "big brake kit" of sorts for the '13, where everything is packaged together. There isn't one for the '14s.

#6 ·
I have confirmed with moparonline parts, that they only show the listed parts as being "pursuit only" all other parts match. I just do not see how the stock R/T caliper mounting bracket will fit over the larger rotor, and still bolt back in the same spot. The mounting bracket is almost touching the stock rotor, so how is a bigger one going to fit?

I believe that the books only show those parts as being different, and I really want to put the larger brakes on, but ther rear needs a caliper mounting bracket, why wouldn't the front? :confused:

#7 ·
I've not been able to find out the differences in rotor size between stock R/T and Pursuit. Ma Mopar is quite stingy with technical specs. I've read in several places that the Pursuit has larger rear rotors, but then there is mention of an optional brake package for the Pursuit, so I don't know which rotors are referenced by the part numbers given above. Are they the "stock" Pursuit rotors or the "optional" Pursuit rotors? No one seems to know.

I have an idea that the front rotors on the Pursuit are the same diameter, but maybe thicker. It's very frustrating not being able to get information.

I really would like to buy some Mopar parts, but they make it hard. I don't want aftermarket slotted/drilled rotors, I want OEM rotors.

#9 ·
I thought the 14.5's were the fronts. and the rear is 13.78?

Either way, I do not see how the fronts will fit without a different mounting bracket, or hub assembly or something. The measurement from the centerline of the hub to the top of the mounting bracket will have to change in orsder to get larger rotors on.

#11 ·
Yea, I will bet the part numbers looked up were for the current size, not the "Late Availablity" setup.

I will wait for the part numbers for the "BIG" set (which "should" include front caliper brackets)

thanks for the research PitchBalck:beerchug:

#13 ·
IIRC there aren't any cars that came with the 13.8 inch rear rotor that aren't police spec. I know for first gen lots of online brake sites show the bigger rear rotor for R&T and Daytona but that isn't how they came.

I'd love to see how the late availability packages fits and if it works on older stock 18s or jut police steel wheels. hard to add nearly an inch in rotor size with same caliper and still fit the 18s.

#14 ·
Any luck getting the part numbers for the "late Availibility" Pursuit brakes yet?

--------------

"Availability Standard on Charger Pursuit RWD (late availability)

Front
Rotor size and type 14.5 x 1.26 (370 x 32) vented
Caliper size and type 1.77 (45) x dual-piston sliding with cast-iron housing
Swept area 388 sq. in. (2,503.2 sq. cm.)

Rear
Rotor size and type 13.8 x 1.02 (350 x 26) vented
Caliper size and type 1.78 (45) single-piston sliding with cast-iron housing
Swept area 300 sq. in. (1,935.5 sq. cm.)"

#15 ·
My 2014 Charger Pursuit indeed has 14.5 in front and 13.8 in the rear and they bite hard! I was told by fleet salesperson they had to change the police wheel slightly to accomodate the larger brakes, but I don't know if that is a fact. I don't find any part numbers in my police supplemental manual.

#16 ·
Now you're the guinea pig! Test if other OEM 18s can clear those rotors... do your calipers look the same as regular R/T ones or are they bigger?

The 14.5 inch front brakes were always listed as "late availability". Are you a cop or do you know someone who ordered you one?

#17 ·
LEO.

I would be glad to be guinea pig but I don't have other wheels to try nor an r/t to see. I don't know if the calipers look same as r/t but I am pretty sure from what I have heard and read they are police spec only. I don't forsee rotating tires real soon (only have about 100 miles on it right now).

When you say you have seen "late availability", are you talking about on r/t's or on police Chargers?

#18 ·
Excerpt from "Law And Order" Magazine:

"Dodge also submitted three 2014 ½ model year Chargers. Two of these 2014 ½ Chargers used the same powertrain as the 2014 versions, but the sedans were fitted with the mid-year release Big Brake package. (More on the standard for mid-2014 Big Brakes in the Sidebar.) The other 2014 ½ Charger was a 5.7L V8 in All-Wheel Drive, again with the Big Brakes".

#19 ·
More reading; All pursuits built after April got the Big Brake Package, code BR9. Space saver spare tire gone because it wouldn't fit over new brakes.

#22 ·
I am also interested in doing this mod, so I did some searching and found, courtesy of moparonlineparts.com (posted on another forum):

Front BR9 Components :
ROTOR-BRAKE
Part#: 68184337AA

CALIPER-DISC BRAKE
Part#: 68245095AA

CALIPER-DISC BRAKE
Part#: 68245094AA

PAD KIT-FRONT DISC BRAKE
Part#: 68245089AA

Rear BR9 code components:

ROTOR-BRAKE
Make: Dodge | Part#: 4779438AF
List Price: $143.00
Your Price: $98.67 x2

CALIPER-DISC BRAKE
Make: Dodge | Part#: 68245291AA
List Price: $185.00
Your Price: $127.65

CALIPER-DISC BRAKE
Make: Dodge | Part#: 68245290AA
List Price: $185.00
Your Price: $127.65

ADAPTER-DISC BRAKE CALIPER
Make: Dodge | Part#: 68245123AA
List Price: $62.10
Your Price: $42.84 x2

PAD KIT-REAR DISC BRAKE
Make: Dodge | Part#: 68245118AA
List Price: $152.00
Your Price: $104.77

LINE-BRAKE
Make: Dodge | Part#: 4779451AH
List Price: $30.85
Your Price: $21.28

LINE-BRAKE
Make: Dodge | Part#: 4779450AE
List Price: $31.85
Your Price: $21.97

Information shared as it was found for information purposes only, of course. No idea if the numbers are right, if it's direct bolt on, etc. Looks like the entire shebang would run just north of $1000, so I'm going to examine aftermarket options as well before making a commitment either way.

#25 · (Edited)
I had done my rear already with just the caliper bracket from Mopar. I bought the rotors/pads from ebay said:
*** I found all the parts for the front available at O'Reilly (except the splash shields) for just under $500... I wouldn't buy it until I know my factory 18" wheels would fit over it...obviously the rotor will fit with no trouble, but the caliper looks to be tight.

Attachments

#30 ·
So want Police Performance but want to do it for less than half?

This was so good that we had to post it. My son has a 2006 Dodge Charger, with a performance brake option, this just really means his front brakes were larger than on the standard charger with 13.6" non-vented rotors. Rear were still standard. His front calipers were already dual piston, not as good a Brembo, but not bad.

The good news is that the front mount is standard for all production brake options. The rear however is not, (and were not on his car) and the standard rotor is 12x rather than 13.6, so the bracket is shorter by almost an inch.

So you can buy the right bracket, they are about $96 each, but RockAuto sells the caliper and bracket starting at $56 (I got them for $45 originally With Core). So for about $112 you got the rear caliper solution BUT Wait its better, for $70 each you can get Powerstop (Red Coated) with Brackets! (POWER STOP S4992A Performance Red Powder Coated), PowerStop fronts (POWER STOP L5017/L5016) with brackets included will run you $50 with a $20 core so about $70 each

So far that's $280 and you have most of the Police set-up. Now the Rotors...
On Ebay we found Police/Daytona Slotted and Drilled Rotors for $155 for all 4! Yes that's right all 4! We ordered them and they were pefect (they are marked Front and Rear as there is a slight size difference (13.6 Front. 13.8 rear). We mounted it all and it fit perfect with great stopping power over even the upgraded ones-

Cost $~$450 if you do it from scratch, s bit less for us as our fronts were already upgraded.

Now we are six months later, added 20" Hellcat Rims and everything performs like a top. of Note the ebay rotors have been outstanding really well worth the price!

Look for this:
Front and Rear Brake Rotors CHARGER 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 DAYTONA R/T POLICE
Police / Daytona Models with 13.77" (350mm) Rear Rotors

Now if we could only figure out if a EGR delete is permanent or if a retune removes it...To be continued as we upgrade heads, intake and exhaust....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.