Charger Forums banner

Another winter storage thread..

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  GLHS837 
#1 ·
Sublime is supposed to go away tomorrow evening... few questions..

I know I need the oil changed.. would it be okay to put the Quantum Blue stuff in, and then just run the normal 10k miles on the same oil? or do I need to change the stuff that sits all winter?

Washing the car... touchless is the only option now as we have a few feet of snow.. so is the stuff that gets picked up on the 5 min drive to the storage facility really going to make a huge deal?

Other than that... fill tank to the nuts, add Aces IV, pull battery and fuse, baking soda, really good car cover, and 2x6 boards so the tires don't touch the cold cement.

#2 ·
Wow, 30 views and no responses. I guess inquiring minds want to know!

Answers below...

I know I need the oil changed.. would it be okay to put the Quantum Blue stuff in, and then just run the normal 10k miles on the same oil? or do I need to change the stuff that sits all winter?

Yes, put in fresh oil and you can run it in the Spring without changing. You will want to pull the "start" fuse so that you can crank it to get oil flowing and lube everything up prior to actual starting. Brian has a posted this in his Vendor section or you can call him for details. It's good advice.

Washing the car... touchless is the only option now as we have a few feet of snow.. so is the stuff that gets picked up on the 5 min drive to the storage facility really going to make a huge deal?

Not a big deal but be sure to take it through the carwash when you first wake it in the Spring to get it clean underneath. Salt is the concern so unless there is a lot of salt in the mix, no reason to worry as long as the storage place is good and dry.

Other than that... fill tank to the nuts Don't overfill, just normal fill,

add Aces IV,

Good idea to stabilize the fuel for the Winter

pull battery and fuse,

Good idea again to maintain battery life

baking soda,

I assume this is an open container on the inside for odors?

really good car cover, and 2x6 boards so the tires don't touch the cold cement.

The boards aren't necessary, concrete won't harm the tires. Fill the tires to the max pressure listed on the sidewall and return pressure to normal driving pressure when you wake it up in the Spring. If you want to be extra cautious, put the car up on jack stands to unload the suspension and still fill the tires to max pressure to keep the tire bead intact and prevent moisture intrusion that can corrode the bead seat on the aluminum rims.

#3 ·
Perfect! you are awesome! Baking soda for excess moisture and smell yeah.

Storage place is dry and clean.

I wont have time to put up.. the tires call for 42lbs of air.. that's insane, I drive with like 35 lol

#4 ·
Sounds insane, but really the second best way to go. The sidewalls of the tires are the thing we are working on here, keeping them from being held in a the same flexed position for months and that internal air pressure will allow them to resist the weight of the car better, and not be so flexed. thats why DD suggested the jackstands. If the tires are not supporting the weight of the car, they are happier. Oh, and if you set 42psi now, when it's 30 degrees colder, those same tires will have about 4-6psi less

#5 ·
Pull the storage fuse instead of the whole battery cable... I don't recall which one.

What do the experts here think about putting plastic down on the cement under the car?

I wouldn't cover the car unless you 1. concernced with debris or bird droppings 2. the car is absolutely clean before covering it.

Little bit of salt you pick up is not going to be a big deal unless it's heated storage. I'm not a fan of heated storage for that exact reason.

Good luck surviving winter :)

#7 ·

Ddaddy is right. The oils are designed for 10k miles (16k km) or 2 years. I change my SRT8 every 2 years as I don't get to 10k miles on it!

Salt is only active when wet. If the salt is dry it will remain dormant. If you are concerned about the underhood components and the brake rotors, you can give me a call and I can put together some of the QB Metal Anti-Corrosion Dry Lubricant Spray for you. Any rust prone metals will be protected and still be dry. Fine to drive on it in the Spring!

Other than that... fill tank to the nuts, add Aces IV, pull battery and fuse, baking soda, really good car cover, and 2x6 boards so the tires don't touch the cold cement.
The fuse is the IOD fuse and allow the battery to be fine without draw on it. Chrysler made this years ago because their cars were drawing down the battery sitting in the parking lot. Imagine going to test drive a new car and the battery is dead when the salesman tries to turn it over!! http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119979&highlight=iod+fuse

GLHS837 is right on the tire pressures. Jackstands are preferred but higher pressures so that they don't flex excessively is acceptable too!:bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.