Charger Forums banner

Ordered our first Charger today!

3K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  ColdSteel 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody!

I was going to post in the New Member section, but figured the General area might reach a few more folks.

My stepfather was recently in a bad accident, and as a result his 2010 Challenger SE was written off.

Today, not even two hours ago, we've ordered the replacement: A 2017 Charger SXT -- our first ever Charger.

We've gone for a custom build from the factory in Brampton, as what we wanted was *not* on a lot. Our build is as follows:

2017 Charger SXT RWD
Go Mango exterior paint
Black interior
Premium Group ($5,995 - includes ventilated leather seats, Uconnect 8.4 NAV, all the safety features, etc)
Blacktop Package ($695 - includes 20-inch gloss black wheels, satin black spoiler, blacked out grille, black interior accents, and a tinted black rear light bar)

MSRP is $37,780 -- we got it for a good chunk less thanks to incentives and the fact he is an FCA employee.

Should look like this when it comes in...

I did, however, have a few questions for you all.

1. The Premium Group includes what FCA vaguely describes as "Bi-Function HID Projector Headlamps" -- does anybody know if these are Bi-Xenon?

FCA used to say back in the day (around 2010) if it was Halogen or Xenon, but it doesn't say. I'd be lead to believe they are indeed Bi-Xenon because "Bi-Function" seems similar to "Bi-Xenon," and I found a model today that doesn't have Xenon lights and they're described as "Projector Halogen Headlamps." I also cannot see them having white (4-5000K) LED accent lighting on the front with icky yellow headlights, especially in 2017 when the cost of Xenon has come down compared to 7 years ago.

2. We are coming from the ancient (origin 1990s) 3.5L V6 that was.... awful. Laggy throttle response (not necessarily the engine's fault), mediocre fuel economy, and not much power. The Pentastar is a noticeable increase in both power and fuel economy. However, are there any "quirks" of the Pentastar to watch out for once we're out of warranty?

3. The standard SXT comes with (the quite good, IMO) Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. Getting the Premium Group or Blacktop Package replaces them with Firestone Firehawk GT tires. Tire Rack reviews make me think it is a pretty bad tire... anybody here to vouch for it?

I'm looking forward to getting our VON, so I can spend the next few weeks doing nothing but checking the order status. But hey, we might be able to get the priority bumped to number one since we have connections. ;)

See less See more
#3 ·
I've got a friend with a new Challenger and it's 3.6L is pretty responsive. You'll see a big difference in your new Charger vs the old 3.5L you are coming from. Congrats on the new ride! Now the hard part... the waiting until she comes in.

#5 ·
The V6 is every bit as fast as the V8 Lincoln LS I was driving before my Charger. The 8 speed really makes the difference on the engine choice.

However, if I were custom ordering a car, I think it would be coming with the 6.4, not the 6 cylinder. My only regret for my 2016 model is I went with a 5.7L instead of a 6.4L, but at least you'll see 30+MPG. Doesn't say much though, when the 5.7 sees 28MPG on the highway. You might see if you can swap engines, if it's not too late. IMO it would be well worth the price difference. It's OK if you can't swing it though, as money is why I have a 5.7 instead of a 6.4.

#6 ·
Congrats on the new ride!

That's a great question about the "bi-function" xenon lights. I would assume that it means the same as bi-xenon which means both low and highs are xenon(most use a single bulb that switches from low to high and not two actual xenon bulbs), but you know what happens when one assumes! On 2011-14 Chargers, only the lows are xenon as the highs are a separate halogen bulb which turns on when you switch to high. The 2015s and beyond have a different headlight assembly and I haven't looked at one close enough to tell if they have a a halogen high beam or are a true bi-xenon. Either way, you'll definitely appreciate to upgrade to xenon even if it is just the lows.

I remember several first gen rental Chargers from the mid 00s. They all had the 3.5. Early V6 Chargers(06 and 07s) had the same 5 speed auto as the RT, however, later on in the decade the V6s got the old 4 speed automatic. This seemed to make them more sluggish in acceleration. You'll definitely notice the 3.6 has much more power and is supremely smooth running as well.

Tires- My RT came with the Firehawk GTs. They were good for about 15-20K then worthless. They got noisy at around 15K and by 20K wet weather traction was not very good. However, when they were newer they performed well. Definitely more of a performance tire than the Primacy MXM4s which are more of a touring tire. Enjoy the Firehawks when they are new, but go ahead and start stashing some $$ away for better replacements once they start to wear down. Then again without a Hemi, you might get more life out of your tires!

#7 ·
Pays to work for FCA, I guess!

After sitting at "BG" status for nearly a week, it went D1 at 7:00 this morning... and then quickly switching to D2 status at 7:45. ;)

I fail to see how we couldn't have the car by the end of January, or first few days of February -- at this pace.

#8 ·
I know you're excited. As I said before, the waiting is the hard part. I'm going to wait another week before checking on mine. I ordered last Tuesday and had a VIN the next day. Good luck on getting your new Charger by February.... I'm figuring around the beginning of March. If she comes in sooner, that's a bonus. Keep us updated. :bigthumb:

#9 · (Edited)
This thing is flying thru... F status today -- meaning E status (frame) has been done already and they're getting that lovely Go Mango paint job done as I type this!

#11 ·
We've hit a snag in the road....

Good news is FCA's internal tool shows us in station G as of yesterday, which is trim.

The bad news is the line directly to the right, production status, is the letter everybody hopes to never see.... I.

I is FCA-lingo for "build not ok'd," meaning they found problems with the car.

My stepdad is going to get in touch with other colleagues at FCA and see if they can tell us what *exactly* they found wrong.

But at the very least, it is a delay (and something I didn't want to hear). :(

#12 ·
Well, that was fast!

Just hit KZ status! We even got the shipping expedited, too. They're loading it on the next train to Toledo!

#13 · (Edited)
I do not believe this is the full list, as a lot of things are abbreviated and written in Chrysler-speak, but this is what I can see written in plain English on the form:

- Radio would NOT turn off.
- The front facing camera used for Lane Departure, Adaptive Cruise, etc. was completely dead and non-functional.
- A "judgement" was made that the right rear suspension cross-member failed.
- Exhaust hangers were not torqued properly.
- Right rear DLO (Google tells me this is a trim piece) missing.
- Welds from 7 different stations needed to be "verified."
- Something was found wrong with the rear spoiler and all the holes drilled for it.

Supposedly all the issues have been fixed and the car went KZ (released). I still can't pull a build sheet or window sticker with the URL that people on this forum use.

Attachments

#14 ·
Good news above..... I know you all cannot watch t got it to be delivered.

#16 ·
:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

#17 ·
It left Brampton at 12:38 PM today, which would mean it is likely that it is on the truck ferry across the river from Windsor to Detroit riiiiiight about now, as I type this.

Which means there is chance we might get it as soon as TOMORROW. I'm still betting Wednesday or Thursday though.

Attachments

#18 ·
Wow.... ordered 1/16 and it's being shipped today?

#20 ·
I'm going to have to call for an update on mine as tomorrow will be 2 weeks.

#23 · (Edited)
Look what somebody found at work! ;)

They (the people in the shipping yard) said it would be delivered to the dealership either late tonight or by 7 AM tomorrow at the very latest.

I'm more of a European car guy myself, but even I'm shaking with excitement! I'm so ready to get in and drive! :driving::bigthumb:

My stepdad and I are also both *very* happy we added the Blacktop package at the last minute. We feel there would've been a little too much Go Mango paint up front without it (is such a thing even possible?!), and that the black fascia really helps break things up nicely. :D

We're also looking (quite heavily) into getting some striping applied as well.

Attachments

Reactions: Slidd
#24 ·
Excellent! Not hard to pick that one out from across the parking lot. lol

#25 ·
It has arrived at the dealer! Got the notice early this morning.

We were supposed to pick it up at 2:30, but I (sadly) have an appointment at 3, so it'll be more like 4:30 instead. Family will get to the dealer at 2:30 and get to see the car for two hours before I get there. :(

But I'm still excited! I also get the car to myself for a few days, but hey. ;)

#28 ·
We know what you're doing this weekend. :driving:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.