Charger Forums banner

Differences between 2nd and 3rd Gen SRT

8K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  FlyersHockey 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering about the differences between the 2nd Gen (2014) and the 3rd Gen SRT other than the 8 speed transmission and appearance?

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
6 Piston Brembos in the front

Active Exhaust

3 Mode Suspension

#3 · (Edited)
Thank you for that. Currently debating about an upgrade. Personally I like the 2nd Gen look a little better so that's what keeping me from settling between the two versions. The new transmission seems to be a good thing and those other features are nice.

Would buying Gen 2 be noticeably dated from current Gen?

#4 ·
Honesty I never liked the look of the 2nd Gen Charger, although the SRTS were better of course than the lower models.

I think the 2015+ SRTs are worth it for the more modern looks and that 8-speed transmission alone. It's snappy AF.

Reactions: RScottyL
#8 ·
Did you see the 15 srt in person yet? I went through the same thing, I was about to pull the trigger on a 2014 srt limited edition - the one with the rocker stripes, I cant remember the name of the trim, vs 2015 srt. Yes broken up in pieces the 2014's look better but for some reason I liked the overall look of the 2015 even with the smaller rear and smaller spoiler and the B5 paint with a black roof and black wheels sold me!

#10 ·
The 2015+ Charger SRT curb weight is 4410 lbs. The Hellcat curb weight is 4592. (Measured by Car&Driver during testing)

#12 ·
I'm not really adding anything of importance, but I'm constantly arguing with myself over the appearance of the 2nd & 3rd gen Chargers. I like them both, and will probably get a 3rd gen as my next car. They look completely different to me. The 2nd gen looks more aggressive. I think the front end is badass, I also like the rear end better. The new one is nice looking, but doesn't have the same nasty look as the 2012-14's. I think the rounded look gives it a general sedan look, similar to the Chevy SS. The new car definitely has a more modern look, which I do like.

#14 ·
You really have to drive a 2015+ SRT aggressively in Track Mode to fully appreciate how much better the 8 speed transmission is over the 5 speed. Especially on twisty back roads or, obviously, a road course track. With lightning fast upshifts while accelerating and rev-matched downshifts while braking, the 8 speed always keeps you in the power band. The 6.4 V8 with the 8 speed and those big 6 piston Brembos up front makes for an outstanding drive. I absolutely love mine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I still love the look of the 2nd gen, but do not buy one. The 5-speed is GARBAGE. Get a 2015+.

#21 ·
I've got no qualms with the 5 spd. I drove an 8 speed R/T when I had my 5.7. It was nice, but didn't notice much of a difference. Maybe if I'd track the I'd notice. Now I have the 5 spd 392 and love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.