Charger Forums banner

Car -pulls- to left or right when braking

7K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  jjducky 
#1 ·
Title says it all. My car pulls to the left or right when braking from lets say... over 40mph or so. This is NOT a vibration. I had a vibration about 5 months or so ago and had the front rotors and pads completely replaced. The vibration is gone but lately I've noticed that the car will pull to the left and then to the right (or visa-versa) under hard braking. I mean I will literally see the steering wheel move slightly in either direction.

This is very scary if braking hard in a lane in between 2 cars. I have to be very conscious to countersteer and keep her straight. Any suggestions? This is very dangerous. Again, my front pads and rotors are only about 5 months old.

Oh, and she always squeals horribly under very light braking (not when full force is applied)

#5 · (Edited)
2006? Probably the strut tensioner bushings. My '06 behaved like that when they went bad. It was like the car was 'swimming'. Left stroke, right stroke, repeat.

It would be that way when braking and on certain road pavement. When the bushings go bad, the front wheels are literally moving front to back as you drive/brake. That's why it pulls to one side or the other based on road friction.

Of course, this is a reply to a thread the OP opened in 2008 and someone just resurrected. But it's still good info for folks with the older cars that may experience this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.