Charger Forums banner

New respect for the V6

9K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  krautmaster 
#1 ·
Rented a 2014 Charger V6 in Dallas yesterday. Drove to Houston. Put in about 8 gallons. Then drove to New Orleans. Still have almost half a tank of gas. Unbelievable highway mileage.

I mean, I would spend less than 50% of what I am currently spending on gas.

The car is smooth and quiet.

Just wish it had about 50 more lb-ft of torque as for some reason people like to speed up when you go to pass them! A car is doing 70 in a 75 but when you go to pass them they do 80. In the 3.6 you really have to wind it out to get passing power.

Overall, pretty impressed though.

#4 ·
I don't know if the police version is different, but ours with the V6 are quite impressive and what a silky smooth six cylinder!

#7 ·
If you're going to be a dick at least learn to spell correctly.

#6 ·
I've said this before but it's worth repeating. I find the Pentastar with the 8 speed to be more fun to drive than the Hemi with the 5 speed (for a daily driver, not taking the track). I could easily afford the Hemi (I've had two), but after driving the 6 in sport mode, that's what I wanted.

#9 · (Edited)
... Just wish it had about 50 more lb-ft of torque as for some reason people like to speed up when you go to pass them! A car is doing 70 in a 75 but when you go to pass them they do 80. In the 3.6 you really have to wind it out to get passing power.

Overall, pretty impressed though.
Put on a CAI and true Dual Exhaust system and it makes a noticeable difference, and you won't have to wind it up (but that sure is fun!). I'm now getting 23.5 city/34 highway with the 5 speed with a Mopar CAI and Dynomax cat back system

#15 ·
My '12 was a V6/8spd. Great car, surprisingly powerful and efficient. It's a great combo.

A lot of guys caught up in Hemi hype, will tell you the V6 has to work to hard to get "such a heavy car" moving, and is "no better" than the V8 when it comes to efficiency. Having owned both I can easily say the V6 is far more efficient than my V8. So why did I trade it for a V8 then? Even though the V6 is surprisingly powerful, the extra power from the V8 is just more fun. If efficiency was my goal, I'd still have the '12.

#30 · (Edited)
I know this may be an old thread, but I am new so bear with me. If I could look at a v6 and it's approved for my income, should I get it?:confused: I don't do anything more than just drive the car and don't care about modifications or stuff like that. Plus v8s are impossible to find. :slap: I just found online a 2008 SE and was wondering about what to look for. Mileage is 69,687.

#31 ·
No problem, glad to answer the question. Is it a 2.7 or 3.5? You want a 3.5...you don't want the 2.7L if you can help it.

3.5 is a great engine and with 70k miles and being an 08 you are looking at 11,700 miles per year which is generally low as most are 15k miles per year. Should have 90k+ miles on it by now. ;)

How much?

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#33 ·
I agree that if you can swing an '11 or up V6 over the previous V6 I'd do that. The 3.5 was a reliable engine for sure, but as Shots wrote, there is quite a difference in smoothness and power in the 3.6. Now if you like the older styling better than you will have to stick with the pre '11.

Good Luck.

#35 ·
It is a 3.5. I don't even know if it will be there when I go to look still (4 weeks?) I really do not have much choice with what I can afford, plus it is at a Dodge dealer and they have 2 dealerships, the one I'd look at the car at and the one near us where I can take it for servicing that I cannot do myself (oil changes only is what I can do).

#39 ·
Price keeps going down here in So Cal as well. A bit behind everyone else, but 2.89 paid today.

As for considering the 3.5 over the 3.6. The 3.6 is such different technology it really feels like a different car. I have had the pleasure of driving the 3.5/5 spd, 3.6/5 spd and 3.6/8 spd, which I own. I'd hold out for the 3.6 even if it is the 5. You could probably get one from a rental company like Hertz, they seem to have a lot and that's where I get to drive them. But personally, I love the efficiency of the 3.6/8 and most of any speed demand comes at highway speeds. I know getting thrills from high mileage in a heavy sedan with a V6 is arcane, but really enjoy it. My'12 is the best road-trip car I have ever had.

#40 ·
For me, I have a 2000 Chrysler 300M with the 3.5L SOHC Polyhemi V6 and the 42LE 4 speed transmission. Consistently gets 27.5 to 29 mpg on the hwy. I have actually seen 30 mpg if I use the autostick and ginger it through the gears.

Also have the 2011 Grand Caravan R/T with the 3.6L DOHC Polyhemi V6 and the 62 TE 6 speed transmission. Get 28 to 29 mpg on the highway as it is taching 1750 at 70 mph....from a minivan with all the bells and whistles!!!!

My wife's 2011 Avenger with the 6 speed gets 33 to 35 mpg with the 6 speed 62TE also.

No shame however in getting the 3.5L SOHC motor with either the 4 speed or the 5 speed. If normal driving is your thing it is more than sufficient for power and smoothness.

Regards,
Brian

#41 · (Edited)
I also have one of the old 300M's (2001) with the 3.5 / 4 speed. It has consistently delivered 20 mpg in town, 28 highway year after year after year (over 200,000 miles). On one trip I did manage an incredible 34 mpg: I had disconnected the battery the day before to do some routine maintenance before the trip and it reset itself back to factory specs. Drove like a dream.... So every time after that I would disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour before a long trip but never got more than 29 mpg....it must have just been a tankful of really good gas that one time!

My 13' Charger V-6 5speed had been getting 23.5/34 mpg until my last fill up with "winter" fuel- now its dropped to 22/32mpg--must be more ethanol in our winter blend.

Also, the 3.6 with the variable valve timing is light years ahead of the old 3.5 in power and drivability...this is the best road trip car I've ever had.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.