Charger Forums banner

getting rid of the spoiler...

16K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  gotzaRT 
#1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions on how to cover up the holes on my trunk if I remove my rear spoiler?

#2 · (Edited)
A possibility would be to see if someone without a spoiler, and that has a car the same color car as you, trade trunk lids with you!

Unfortunately, if you remove the spoiler and you will have holes!

You could fill it with body filler and paint over it!

#3 ·

This might not be what you are looking for but then again it just might be. Look at the whole video..

Big John

#4 ·
I went down that road. No aftermarket spoiler will cover the holes. So the only options you have are filling the holes or swapping the deck lid. I called a local dealer and they were happy to swap out deck lids for me at no charge to get a free a free spoiler.

#7 ·
IMO you should take it into a body shop and see how much they would charge to do a professional job of patching up the 4 holes. I like to do my own painting and clearcoating but would not try this job myself.

#9 ·
When I had my '06 SRT8 I removed the spoiler. I thought the car looked way better without it. I considered all the options, and decided to plug the holes with small black rubber plugs that I put on a small ring of RTV. I got used to them very quickly, and most people didn't notice. The plan was to paint the plugs with some touch up paint, but it wouldn't cover the rubber surface for some reason.

I never thought of asking the stealership to swap out for a free spoiler, but I kind of wanted to keep the spoiler anyway, just to have the car and all it's pieces stay together, although I didn't intend to ever get rid of it. IMO, spoilers aren't for 4 door cars. But you know what they say about opinions.

#10 ·
I was very much against spoilers on 4-door cars for a while. When I ordered my 2010 R/T AWD, I specified no spoiler.

After years of modding, what finally changed my mind was when I lowered it on coilovers. With black wheels and lowered, it looked like it was missing something... The spoiler completed the look.

However, I think the 2011-2014 models look better with a lip spoiler as opposed to the deck lid spoiler. If you don't want the holes from removing the spoiler, I would post up for a member with the same model and colour to do a trade. With a lot of the SE trims not coming with spoilers, I would bet theres someone out there who would love to do a trade. If that doesn't work, I would agree to see if the stealership would do a trade.

#11 ·
FWIW, you could always remove it. There are "metal tapes," for lack of a better term.

You could get the trunk wrapped on the top, or whole. Then get the hood and roof to match. It would break up your paint color and add that slick black roof that dodge charges for stock. Those vinyl wraps look great in flat or even CF.

Just my .02 how I would do it with mine. I would most likely take my trunk, roof and hood and get them wrapped in a matte black. At the PD, we would remove the side moldings and use the metal tape stuff that the wrap place suggested and fill in the whole to avoid the wrap sinking into it.

#14 ·
I removed my factory spoiler when I installed my 3-piece spoiler. The body shop had to weld the holes closed, sand it smooth, and repainted the trunk lid. It looks like holes were never there, from the topside and underside of the trunk lid. It's really the only thorough way to do it besides buying an entirely new trunk lid. I'll try to find some pics of the job.

#15 ·
Hemi3 is right, you gotta fill those holes with metal. Body filter will never stay and if you can get it to, it won't stay for long. Metal fill won't be cheap though when you get done with painting and all. Might be cheaper to find a black car in the bone yard and buy a spoilerless trunk lid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.