Charger Forums banner

iOS 8 2013 Charger USB UCOnnect

24K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  Moorepheus 
#1 ·
Well, upgraded my iPhone 5 to iOS8 and now my library will not update in my car. Everything worked great before, now all I get for hours after plugging in my iPhone is "Updating Catalog" I only have 768 songs in my library, so it shouldn't take HOURS to update. Is there a way to reset the Catalog on our radios? I have the 8.4 with Nav.

Thanks

#3 ·
I thought Apples motto was "I just works"....well, I guess not in this case....

And just think, I was ready to go out an upgrade to the 6 plus....guess not now.

Also, I upgrade over WiFi, so I will not be able to downgrade back....I have not plugged my phone into a computer to sync it in over a year...lol

#4 ·
Also, I upgrade over WiFi, so I will not be able to downgrade back....I have not plugged my phone into a computer to sync it in over a year...lol
Well, I also don't care much about phone, but have some albums in the iPhone...
I did upgrade to iOS via WiFi.
After discovering an issue with compatibility to UConnect, immediately started to "google" how to downgrade back. So all you need (and I did it this way):

**download and install latest iTunes
**download file of iOS 7.1.2 software (1.5 GB)

and do the downgrade via iTunes.

Btw, i didn't care if the phone will be "dead" (cause in this case i don't need the iPhone), but everything went smooth. And I didn't do any back-ups (do not have them).

#9 · (Edited)
My point was simply that you should automatically assume that there will be compatibility issues related to any kind of OS update, be it a phone or a computer.

Most of those issues will be sorted out over time by manufacturers offering updates, but you cannot expect Chrysler to produce any fix.

Apple DID in fact give notice of the changes. iOS 8 had been available to developers for months before the public release. Chrysler was perfectly capable of having used the tools at hand to make sure that they were ready for the change so that their customers wouldn't be impacted by the new OS. Chrysler has the capability to create such an update. In fact, they released an update to the radios several weeks ago, and it could have easily included the changes needed to ensure compatibility - but they chose not to take that path.

There have been changes in EVERY iOS release in regards to controlling music. The iPhone hasn't been 100% compatible with the 8.4 system since iOS3. Sure, it mostly worked, but if you ever saw how it USED to work, you would have noticed a lot of new issues every time the phone was updated. The changes have finally piled up over the years until now it is finally broken. My configuration (iTunes Match, iTunes Radio) quit working last year.

The radios are indeed pretty nice, but there are also a LOT of shortcomings. Lack of continued support is probably the most glaring problem.

Incidentally, I believe it still may be possible to downgrade your phone back to 7.1.2, though that may change at any time. If using the phone with your radio is really important, it might be worth considering before it's not an option any more.

#10 ·
According to iPhone 6 has car Bluetooth problems:

How about this oh-so-2014 moment: People are showing up at car dealerships with phone problems.

If you can't connect your iPhone 6 to your car via Bluetooth, you're not alone. A bug is keeping many folks from establishing a connection, according to widespread complaints on Apple's online forums.

Some people have set up specialized discussion boards on the subject and others have taken to Twitter to vent their frustration. They say Bluetooth connections are either not working at all, or only partially. Some iPhone 6 owners say they can play music in their cars but not receive or send phone calls.

It doesn't affect everyone, but complaints are flooding in from people who drive Acura, BMW, Honda, Jeep, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Toyota and Porsche vehicles.

Apple did not return calls for comment about the problem.

According to one driver, Arfan Akram, Mercedes-Benz customer service suggested to him that the new iPhone 6 cannot connect because it has not yet been synchronized with the car maker's satellite navigation system. Mercedes-Benz did not immediately confirm that is the case.

The problem seems to be confined to the iPhone 6 alone -- not the new iOS 8 software recently pushed out by Apple. Drivers say their updated iPhone 5's and 5S phones work fine, but their iPhone 6's don't.

For example, one San Francisco woman's iPhone 5 and iPhone 5S worked fine with her 2010 Acura, but her iPhone 6 remains stuck in discovery mode and can't find her car -- even if he's inside it. Resetting the phone to factory settings didn't help.

Neither does rebooting the phone, according to several others.

But one tactic worked for Karl Tatgenhorst, a tech consultant in Chesterton, Indiana. He changed the registered name of his new iPhone 6 (easy to do in the phone's settings). His 2015 Honda Accord immediately identified his phone and connected.

Bluetooth woes aren't the only problem facing the new iPhone.

The new, larger iPhone 6 Plus is susceptible to bending after a day crammed into a pants pocket, some users have reported on online forums.

And iOS 8 has caused a rise in crashing apps, according to mobile metrics firm Crittercism. Nearly 3.6% of iPhone apps are crashing with iOS 8, nearly double the crash rate of the previous version of iOS.

Problems with iPhone launches are common, and Apple typically works these issues out eventually.

#11 ·
Obvious, you did not ready the TOPIC. It said, USB UCONNECT...Not Bluetooth. Also, I have an iPhone 5 running iOS8.0.2 (same problem still). Bluetooth seems to work just fine. However, I to have read there are Bluetooth issues with vehicles, but I am not having that issue. I am having issue with our Radio's getting the Catalog from our phones of songs we have via USB.

Sorry, if I seem hostile, as I tried updating my phone today via driveuconnect.com, and while the software updated ok, my radio is now asking for a 4 digit code that I don't have to unlock it. So, right, I have no radio at all...nothing..

#14 ·
Apple will not issue a fix. The problem is with Chrysler's poor method of interfacing with the iPhone library. In fact, I would bet money that Apple explicitly told developers NOT to do it that way, but Chrysler/Uconnect took the easy route instead of the correct one.

This is very similar to the old, 12V FireWire charging method that Apple used to have on iPods and iPhones. Apple told manufacturers not to build any new products that use 12V charging because they were going to stop making iPods/iPhones with it, but many companies didn't listen. When people plugged their new phone into their cars and they wouldn't charge, they got upset with Apple 'changing' the phones, even though Apple had been warning about the upcoming change for years.

The bottom line here is that Chrysler/Uconnect did a bad job when developing the system and made some significant mistakes, including the way they index the iPod library. One of the other poor shortcuts was to let Gracenote do all of the work for identifying tracks.

The only real solution will be if FINALLY enough iphone customers are affected and demand that Chrysler finally gets off it's butt and gets around to fixing the system for real instead of being content that the system "works as designed".

If the system were designed properly in the first place, these issues would never have happened.

#15 ·
Sooo...let me get this right.

Everything worked fine until Apple changed it's OS. But it's not Apples fault that their change caused an issue?

And you say it's the car manufacturers fault for not anticipating what Apple would change?

Since when did the whims of Apple OS evolution become the standard that everyone else must adapt their systems to anticipate?

Seems to me that the OS change caused the issue, not the interfaces that worked just fine with the OS available at the time that the cars from multiple automobile companies were manufactured.

It also seems to me that Apple failed to ensure the backward compatibility of their OS with the numerous systems that used their previous OS without issue.

It is completely illogical to expect users to anticipate forward compatibility with OS changes. Who can possibly anticipate what the future changes will be?

It is entirely incumbent upon the OS maker to ensure backward compatibility...or lose market share from their users.

#16 ·
Apple won't bother to build in backward compatibility, and Chrysler won't update their systems to work with the new OS. Both sides are to blame, and either side could fix it I'd they wanted, which is why neither side will. This is why it's a fool's game to make gadgets with a 2 year lifespan compatible with cars with a 5 to 10 year lifespan. It will work for a couple of years at best and then you have an infotainment system that doesn't connect to anything. This may get better with CarPlay and Android car systems (though it will also make things worse since you'll have to pick a car based on your phone OS and buy a new car if you change your phone ecosystem), but not much. The product design cycles are just too different.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
Problem Somewhat solved

Mystery somewhat solved. I spoke with a guy from Uconnect support this morning. He mentioned they've been bombarded by calls from others with the same issue. I have a 5S, mistakenly updated to 8.0.2., tried to rollback after Apple removed digital signing for the 7.1.2. software (so I'm SOL), and I'm stuck. He said they're waiting on scripting from the phone carrier (ATT for me), as well as Apple before they can fix it. He recommended keeping an eye on uconnectphone.com, which would give you updates. He said no ETA on those scripts. I asked him if there's a way to reset the music library (I have Uconnect 8.4N software). He said:

1. turn key/button into ACC mode (don't start the car)
2. hold the Phone and Voice recognition buttons for 30 seconds at the same time
3. Turn vehicle to "off"
4. open the driver door for 30 seconds
5. close the door for 30 seconds
6. start the car.

I know there's a debate over who's fault it is. I've been running a software testing function for nearly 20 years. From my trained eye, and trained professional perspective, it's Apple's issue. Not the car (many) manufacturers. The car manufacturers are dependent on Apple providing updated information to address the issue. Apple should fix it, not Dodge or the other myriad of companies affected by this. The sad part is the consumer (you and I) are losing out. You should never release software that negatively impacts the customer experience. I'm going to start looking at the Android soon. What a disappointment Apple...

#21 · (Edited)
Mystery somewhat solved. I spoke with a guy from Uconnect support this morning. He mentioned they've been bombarded by calls from others with the same issue. I have a 5S, mistakenly updated to 8.0.2., tried to rollback after Apple removed digital signing for the 7.1.2. software (so I'm SOL), and I'm stuck. He said they're waiting on scripting from the phone carrier (ATT for me), as well as Apple before they can fix it. He recommended keeping an eye on uconnectphone.com, which would give you updates. He said no ETA on those scripts. I asked him if there's a way to reset the music library (I have Uconnect 8.4N software). He said:

1. turn key/button into ACC mode (don't start the car)
2. hold the Phone and Voice recognition buttons for 30 seconds at the same time
3. Turn vehicle to "off"
4. open the driver door for 30 seconds
5. close the door for 30 seconds
6. start the car.

I know there's a debate over who's fault it is. I've been running a software testing function for nearly 20 years. From my trained eye, and trained professional perspective, it's Apple's issue. Not the car (many) manufacturers. The car manufacturers are dependent on Apple providing updated information to address the issue. Apple should fix it, not Dodge or the other myriad of companies affected by this. The sad part is the consumer (you and I) are losing out. You should never release software that negatively impacts the customer experience. I'm going to start looking at the Android soon. What a disappointment Apple...
Good info or resetting the library; I'll be storing that away for future reference. Thank you!

I'm glad to hear that they're being flooded by calls. This is what they finally needed to have happen to them in order to spur them to finally do something.

Keep in mind that as far as the car/phone system is concerned, the car's radio is an accessory to the iPod, not the other way around. Apple provides ample information on how to configure an accessory to work with their iPods, and it's up to the accessory manufacturer to keep up with current requirements.

Chrysler/Uconnect (and everyone else with this problem) had plenty of opportunity to make sure that their accessory worked with the new iPod library format, but failed to do so. This is why Apple releases advance betas of iOS to developers several months before the public release - to ensure smooth upgrades.

Apple made some changes. Apple allowed developers (and accessory manufacturers) ample warning and the opportunity to see the changes so they could get to work on making sure that their products were ready. Some developers got off of their asses and got ready for the new OS, while others did not.

Chrysler/Uconnect (and others) decided to take the easy route and just wait to see what happened. Their neglectful behavior is now causing inconvenience to their customers, and now they have another decision to make: screw the customers, or try to fix the problem. Time will tell which way they ultimately decide to go, but unless they determine that it costs them more money to deal with irate customers than it would to pay the development team to fix it, it will stay broken. I encourage everyone who reads this to call Uconnect's customer service line and voice their displeasure.

#20 ·
If the car's system were designed properly to begin with this wouldn't have happened in the first place. They should have been flexible enough to evolve with Apple's library information.

Apple isn't making this harder than it should be on purpose, but over time, their library contains more and more information that the car should have been able to parse out, had it been done the right way. Now, some data field is breaking it, because it can't handle something like a track being in the library but not on the device.

It's been mentioned that the problem has cropped up in other manufacturers radios, and it will be interesting to see which ones adapt and provide a working update and which ones do not. I'm pretty sure which side Chrysler will lean, and expect that an update will never appear.

I think I've already mentioned that in my situation, the Uconnect became "broken" last summer with iOS 7 and iTunes Match not working with the radio. I contacted Uconnect customer support, and they assured me that they were aware of the problem and were working on an update to fix it that would be released any moment. More than a year later, the update still hasn't shown up.

I gave up last year and just stopped plugging my phone into the USB port. In the end, it's just more convenient to leave an iPod plugged in all of the time instead of needing to fish my phone out of my pocket and plug it in to listen to music.

#23 ·
Does Bluetooth (phone/audio only, no track info) still work with iOS 8? I've had an iPhone 5s since getting the Charger and track listing has never worked for me (never stopped building library, and kept playing song fragments so annoyingly I didn't have the patience to wait it out). So I just stream audio through Bluetooth and use the SD card or an old iPod if I feel like seeing song titles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#26 ·
I haven't updated yet, and it's one of the points I made earlier in the thread. Until I know that everything that I need, or at least really want to use, works with the new OS, I'll stick with something that I know still functions. There is still some stuff I need that doesn't work with 8 yet, so I'm holding off. As soon as everything is ready, I'll take the jump.

My not updating yet doesn't negate that Chrysler/Uconnect needs to get their act together, because my configuration (iPod library + iTunes Match) quit working last year. Everyone else with new iOS 8 problems are just finally climbing into the boat with me.

I've been waiting patiently for more than a year now for Uconnect's imminent (THEIR words, not mine) update to fix the problem. When the first update to any radios post-2011 came out last month, I foolishly assumed that an iPod fix was included, but sadly, it was not.

#27 ·
iOS 8.0.2 has been available since Thursday. It fixes all the bugs it created with Bluetooth and other items. Give that a try. The issues were all created by a faulty code within 8.0.1.

#28 ·
Well, my iPhone 5S with 7.1.2 nor 8.0.2 doesn't work at all with USB, just indexes forever, I also have 23k songs (iTunes Match) and Uconnect seems limited to 20k. Ah well. I like Sirius better anyway and there's no issues with that.

Didn't bother with nav (most in-car nav units are junk anyway), I just mount my iPhone on the vent and use Waze, it cuts the music and announces just fine over regular phone bluetooth. I just have to keep it away from the stock USB port and use a separate charger or else the announcements get muted.

Not really impressed with Uconnect in general. It has A2DP (bluetooth stereo streaming) support but can't display any track info at all? Even my decade old BMW with a ghetto retrofitted Audiovox bluetooth module could do that. And it'd be nice if I could override Uconnect's voice commands and have it run straight to Siri like the Audiovox could.

#29 ·
That sucks, I'm sorry man.

Uconnect isn't the greatest system, there are many flaws and compatibility with phones is odd...the system is less compatible with popular phones than phones that nobody owns.

The new system in the 2015s should address this and be much better. Many car companies, like GM, are integrating apple and Siri into the car itself. Chrysler has not...which shocks me. It's the most popular smart phone in the world by FAR, you think they would at least make it an option.

#30 ·
Guys, IMO it's Apple's fault. But doesn't meter whom to blame, Apple or Chrysler, the driver will suffer only.
So I think, nor Apple neither Chrysler should resolve the issue, all in our hands. We do have the option to choose: phone, OS...and other stuff. But at least meanwhile we will stick to our Chargers.
Why not just DOWNGRADE the iOS back and forget about issues? I didn't find in iOS 8 anything special (btw faced additional bug - was impossible to attach the file from phone while sending email via GMail - yes I do not bother myself to do "Mail" setup). I removed the update and it's all....

#31 ·
Ok, doing some research, I found that Chrysler group has already acknowledge that they are working together with APPLE to ensure that our iPods/iPhones work with UCONNECT Statement Regarding Position on Apple CarPlay in Vehicles

I have ready other places that CarPlay and UConnect are both based on the same software platform (QNX).

So, I guess I will have to wait and see, because right now, my iPhone no longer works with my controls on my radio/steering wheel via the USB port. Really disappointing.

I have hope, that iOS 8.1 will fix this for us, but at this point, I am not holding my breath.

#34 ·
Found this thread.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/18...connections-fix-may-be-coming-with-ios-8-1/40

IOS 8.1 is available today for download. I'm trying it now, and will report back to everyone if it's worked or not. Keep your fingers crossed.
I upgraded my 5 to the 6+. My USB seems to be working...somewhat, I still can't do voice commands, but never really used them before. So, I have the functionality back that I had before. My new iPhone came with 8.0 on it, before I ever plugged it into my car, I upgraded it to 8.0.2. I have used it multiple times now in the car w/out any issues. I upgraded to 8.1 yesterday, only plugged my phone into my car once and it worked. I will have to plug it in later and see if I still works.

Funny, that on the apple forums, people with iPhone 6 and 6+ have had the issue I have had with USB connection to their vehicle radios, so when I got my 6+, I was hoping for much when I plugged it in.

Anyway, while I have my functionality back, I, like other here, think UCONNECT is lacking in compatibility with the phones on the market today.

#36 ·
It didn't work

So I did upgrade to 8.1 on my iPhone 5S. The USB connection doesn't work with Uconnect. Bluetooth works fine though. I didn't have any BT issues before. I don't know that the wife will let me upgrade to a 6 or 6+ anytime soon...so, I'm back to keeping my old iPod in the car until they fix this issue. I prefer to have my music on my phone, for convenience reasons.

#37 ·
So I did upgrade to 8.1 on my iPhone 5S. The USB connection doesn't work with Uconnect. Bluetooth works fine though. I didn't have any BT issues before. I don't know that the wife will let me upgrade to a 6 or 6+ anytime soon...so, I'm back to keeping my old iPod in the car until they fix this issue. I prefer to have my music on my phone, for convenience reasons.

If buying a new iPhone is out, try backing up your iPhone and the Restoring it. This might fix the issue. I did read somewhere in the APPLE forums that this might help, I never did. However, when I bought my iPhone 6+, I backed up my 5 first to my computer then when I got home from the Apple store, I restored the backup from my 5 to my 6+. I still can use my iPod controls via USB, so I think this might work.

#39 ·
I just got my 6+ and upgraded to 8.1 this week. So far, no issues. That being said, I have only tried listening to podcasts via bluetooth. I rarely use voice commands, as I find Uconnect's voice commands to be spotty to the point of frustration. I haven't tried the voice text feature, as I assume it still doesn't work with iPhones.

#40 ·
I have a 6 Plus and after applying the updates to my uConnect 8.4N, everything works. Bluetooth and USB are flawless. I haven't tried voice control since I don't really enjoy the voice control, but otherwise, it seems to do everything as it should.

#41 ·
If you have podcasts in any iO8.x phone (your new 6+ included), USB will not work properly .. and it will never will until uConnect is updated.
This is because of the changes made by Apple in the library format with regard to the podcasts.

At this point the only solution is to remove all podcasts from the phone, then USB will be back working as before

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.