Charger Forums banner

Hellcat as a daily driver?

54K views 60 replies 32 participants last post by  779REALHEMIBEE 
#1 ·
Can a 700hp car doub as a daily driver? Is this car built to be one? Can the SC be tamed somehow? Does it fully engage at certain RPMS?

#2 ·
Well it does come with a 2nd black key that pulls back the power a bit. If I spent $60k+ for a vehicle you better believe I'd be driving that whenever possible! Of course having a cheaper "junker" car for those days when the weather is trash would be wise too.

#3 ·
I would say its a daily driver. Heck Id even try driving it in my winters with the right tires

#4 ·
Can a 700hp car double as a daily driver? Is this car built to be one?
Yes and yes.

Why not?

The long rectangular pedal on the right responds to the pressure you put on it. You decide how much of the beast you unleash.

BTW, it has 3 mode suspension/handling and traction/stability control.

Again, you decide how much beast is unleashed.

Dodge built it for all weather conditions from Alaska to Death Valley.

Reactions: Dab King
#8 ·
BINGO

These continuous questions about using these cars as daily drivers shock me

Of course they are

This is not the 60s with 2 4BBL carbs that you have to adjust every 2 weeks

Today, Porsche 911s are daily drivers

#5 ·
Okay good to know, i never drove a car with a SC, is there a "kick" in RPM where you feel a burst of power? Is it a sudden punch of power? I would think that sweet spot RPM is significantly more of a burst than my 370HP RT.

#6 ·
Can you? Yes

Will it be easy in the winter, probably not

Snow tires and a really light foot will be required.

But, frankly if you can afford a 60k+ car, you most certainly can afford another daily drive :)

#7 ·
I'll be driving it in Eco mode in the winter. It snows for about 4-5 days here and I will still be in there with the stock tires.

2nd gear start and driving with common sense and you got no problem.

#9 ·
WINTER DRIVING

Umm, driving this in the snow won't be any different than any other RWD Charger

Change the tires to 4 dedicated snow tires and it will perform just like every other RWD Charger unless you are an idiot and floor the pedal in the snow

Folks, massive HP doesn't change the winter driving any! Do you floor the pedal on slick surfaces?!!!

Reactions: GTO_04
#19 ·
#13 · (Edited)
Go easy on the guy for asking a reasonable question. Jeez. Some 500+hp cars like the Shelby GT500 and Camaro ZL1 I've heard are terrible daily drivers due to incredibly stiff suspensions and heavy clutches/hard shifting autos, so it's not an unreasonable question. From the reviews so far it's been praised for being a very easy car to drive around town and would make a great daily driver.

Reactions: TripleCstyle
#18 ·
That is my question, daily driving not in snow, traction issues in stop and go hard shifting etc. I have heard that driving a daily car with 600+ HP can be annoying. This car is double from what i have, it sounds like it could be a fun daily driver!

#14 ·
You are correct

It just kills me when people act like these cars are some priceless gems to be hidden in a case

They are made for driving - driving hard!

I am almost to 1/4 million miles of hard driving on my 6.1

#15 ·
My vote is yes. As has been said before, there are 3 modes you can put the vehicle in. It's my understanding that none yield better mpg than either of the others. That depends on how far into the throttle you stick your foot.

#16 ·
I would not get it unless I had plan B car for 5+ inch snow.

#17 ·
Agree with SuperTrooper169. It is a question many would ask when talking this kind of power. First of its kind especially in a 4 door trim. I drove a 2013 GT500 for 1/2 hour before getting the Daytona. At the time I had the 12 GT/CS 6M with headers, CAI and tune that put the power over 400 rwhp. I had concerns about the traction and ride as a daily driver. I was lucky I drove it because the clutch system was a lot stiffer than the GT and the ride was not as confortable until cruising at interstate speeds. Taking off in second gear was easy though and was recommended. It was that afternoon that I test drove the Daytona and sealed the deal.

The hellcat with the Challenger 6M has gearing "unlike" the Stang, (lower rear end gears) however, IMO the clutch is going to be just as stiff or stiffer than the GT500 is. Will have to wait for the reports but if like the Stang you will not want to be sitting in traffic that much even if taking off in second gear.

If you are talking the auto, the gearing is such that daily driving should be a blast. Like said, Dodge has built so many extra's into the Hellcat, suspension and power choices with the key fob, daily driving style will be determined by the driver. I do not know of any other auto that gives you so much in the way of configuring your car before you drive. Especially the 500 hp vs 707 hp and the valet.

#21 ·
I don't understand toy cars, but perhaps it is because I only have the bank account for one car -sigh-

However, I don't see any reason why the Hellcat couldn't be used as a daily driver. You can even put it in valet mode which restricts it to 300hp. I say if you buy it, you might as well get the fun out of it. It is sort of sad to see these awesome cars being sold for half the price with only a couple thousand miles on them.

#46 · (Edited)
that my friend is exactly what i`ll be looking for when buying the hellcat.... lower price low miles and still under factory warranty ... but thats just me ...haven`t had a new car since 1983..... low mileage certified will save a ton of money..... oh and weekend toy for me camry as daily driver

#22 ·
To be clear on that the "Valet Mode" does on both the SRT and Hellcat versions (and it is independent of the red or black key on the Hellcat)...

Valet Mode, makes the following changes:

•Power output is cut, and engine speed is limited to 4,000 rpm
•Access to first gear is locked out, and the transmission upshifts early; it treats the “manual override” position as “Drive”
•Paddle shifters are disabled
•Drive Mode is set to “Street” with no override
•Electronic Stability Control (ESC) is enabled to Full-on
•Launch Control is disabled

The driver can activate and deactivate Valet Mode with a four-digit PIN code they create.

On the Hellcat, there are two key fobs. Red makes all the HP and features accessable. The black fob limits engine output to 500 horsepower. It is not the same as valet mode that is added as a seperate feature on top of whichever key you use.

#23 ·
To be clear on that the "Valet Mode" does on both the SRT and Hellcat versions (and it is independent of the red or black key on the Hellcat)...

Valet Mode, makes the following changes:

•Power output is cut, and engine speed is limited to 4,000 rpm

•Access to first gear is locked out, and the transmission upshifts early; it treats the “manual override” position as “Drive”

•Paddle shifters are disabled

•Drive Mode is set to “Street” with no override

•Electronic Stability Control (ESC) is enabled to Full-on

•Launch Control is disabled

The driver can activate and deactivate Valet Mode with a four-digit PIN code they create.

On the Hellcat, there are two key fobs. Red makes all the HP and features accessable. The black fob limits engine output to 500 horsepower. It is not the same as valet mode that is added as a seperate feature on top of whichever key you use.

ECO mode does the same thing except you don't need a pin, nothing is "locked". It basiclly made for the owner wanting to take it easy with an easy access and without entering a passcode

#26 ·
"Daily driver" means different things to different people. If my Hellcat plans go through, you can bet it will be a daily driver - my previous DD (other than winter of course) was a decently modified GT500 that put down well over 600rwhp. It was a piece of cake to drive daily, and a hoot at that! The Charger will be a piece of cake in comparison to live with day to day I'm sure.

#27 ·
It really sucks. I only drive my car on the weekends. And if I don't drive it on a weekend. I feel like I'm wasting my car. I only drive it on the weekends not because I choose too. But having an company vehicle paid for with a company gas card. It would be stupid not to use company car. I get jealous of the guys that gets to use it a daily driver. Then I would every day instead of just on the weekends.

#29 ·
I never understood people being scared of a lot of power.

The accelerator pedal is not an on/off switch.

Just press a little lighter!

#31 ·
Back to the attack MCaesar because you are too weak minded to read a differing opinion?

It is real simple; press lighter on the gas pedal and the car will behave just like a 5.7

#32 ·
Messages deleted by this mod...

Back to topic at hand,

I would probably drive a hellcat the exact same way I drive my PCD, long vacation trips, occasionally to work and on the weekend.

#34 ·
Anyone that is that concerned with the Hellcat being suitable as a daily driver only has to take a test drive in a used 2013+ GT500 (3.31 rear), Camaro ZL1 (3.23 Rear) or CTS-V (3.23 rear). The Hellcat may make 707 hp but the rear gears are 2.62. Even with the 4.71 1st gear it is not a lot more torque to the wheels. 15%

I have driven a ZL1 on numerous occasions and you can lay rubber starting out in 2nd gear with the automatic. It is all in how you use the throttle. LOL It is not a funny car!:beerchug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.