Charger Forums banner

Fuel Door Release

53K views 84 replies 57 participants last post by  labbieII 
#1 ·
I HOPE someone else has done this on thier first fill-up. I was at the gas station for my first fill-up. I look all over the drivers side area for the fuel door release. I swear I was there at least 15 minutes looking for it and looking real stupid to everyone around. I didn't have my manual with me because I was reading it at home before I went to get gas. I got home and read page 256, i think, and still didnt see a diagram for the fuel release. I gave it to my wife to look at and she said, "uh honey, all you have to do is push the left side of the door and it opens." Man I felt stupid. She hasn't let me forget it yet and probably won't for a while.

#27 ·
Hawk said:
Where's a "Full Service" station when ya need one? :)
I'll bet you REALLY don't want the station attendant poking here and there with his greasy fingers trying to get your filler door open. Reminds me a bit of the scene in National Lampoon's Vacation where Clark is trying to fill up the family truckster. :whistle: :whistle:

#29 ·
Maybe it's some kind of Charger-owner IQ test. Guess what? We all a got a 90!

(Too bad 100 is just an "average" IQ... :whistle:):D

#30 · (Edited)
Fuel 100 said:
I'm glad my stupidity helped someone. I can rest easy tonight.
Hey! You're not stupid........you're courageous for not being afraid to ask simple questions! Look at all the people here that have "come out of the closet" and "fessed-up" to being initially puzzled, and having to consult the owner's manual, including "yours truly"!

Only problem with me was....I didn't have the owners manual with me when I first filled my Charger up. I had taken it out and was reading it at home when I decided to go "fill er' up". If I had just started to grope around the lid, or stuck my fingernail in the cracks, I probably would have been okay. Instead, I wasted my time looking for an automatic release........how embarrassing, especially when everyone there was looking and admiring my Charger anyway!

Anyway, thanks! I feel a lot better now!

BTW, if anyone here has occasion to fill up an 07' Suburban or Tahoe for the first time......better read the owners manual first!

There, ya wize azz hozer....happy now?

#31 ·
AB Charger said:
I wasn't referring to you as being stupid. I was actually saying that about me and the engineers. It never dawned on me to "PUSH" on the left side of the fuel filler door. However, I am glad your insomnia is clearing up.
I know you weren't referring to me as stupid. I was taking a little poke at myself.

#32 ·
TRP460 said:
...and having to consult the owner's manuel, including "yours truly"!
Gosh, Steve, you must be mighty fortunate to have a Charger come equipped with a Mexican handyman to consult whenever there's a problem!

(had a vision of that chef from Fawlty Towers)

:grin:

Want to talk difficulty in finding the filler neck? I hear the fuel door on a '58 Plymouth is actually behind the driver's side taillight. (also '58 Pontiac, I think).

#34 ·
TripleTransAm said:
Gosh, Steve, you must be mighty fortunate to have a Charger come equipped with a Mexican handyman to consult whenever there's a problem!

(had a vision of that chef from Fawlty Towers)

:grin:

Want to talk difficulty in finding the filler neck? I hear the fuel door on a '58 Plymouth is actually behind the driver's side taillight. (also '58 Pontiac, I think).
Yep! My grandfather had one of those! It sat in its garage most of its life... :sad:

#35 ·
AB Charger said:
I knew that... I was just checking. :smile:
Wanna bet the '07's come with a door release?
I'll take that bet! I don't think they will...

#36 ·
Same thing happened to Erik.
We were getting our first fill up shortly after picking up the Charger and he's looking all over the inside of the car for a release button. I come over and look for a bit and then tell him to try just pulling the door open. It worked!!

Boy did we feel silly!!
But I must agree that on a car that costs this much $$, the gas door should pop open. With the door being flush with the body of the car, I'm sure many new owners don't know how to open it :confused:

#37 ·
HemiChemi said:
Yep! My grandfather had one of those! It sat in its garage most of its life... :sad:

I had to look twice to see you "bolding" the '58 Pontiac' text in the quote of my post. I thought you meant your grandfather had a Mexican named Manuel in his garage most of his life! :silenced:

#38 ·
TripleTransAm said:
I had to look twice to see you "bolding" the '58 Pontiac' text in the quote of my post. I thought you meant your grandfather had a Mexican named Manuel in his garage most of his life! :silenced:
LOL! My grandfather was French-Canadian, and spoke english not-so-very-well! I think his Spanish was even worse... :D

#41 ·
You are not alone...I was trying out a Charger last year that the dealer let me take home for a couple of days...I stopped for gas and started searching for the switch...my 15 yr old gets out of the car, walks around to the fuel door, opens it and gets back in saying you can pump the gas now dad...:redface:

#42 ·
Yep--I left the dealership with a full tank. When it was time for a fillup, I sat at the pumps for a minute looking for the stupid release. Then I started to think that the Charger was "retro" and maybe it opened the old fashioned way. So, I got out, prayed it would open and I wouldn't look stupid, and stuck my nail in the opening and pulled up--WHEW!! I was really glad it worked--nothing like looking like an idiot at the pump. I still use my nail--I don't like fingerprints from pushing the left side.

#45 ·
TNCHARGER said:
You are not alone...I was trying out a Charger last year that the dealer let me take home for a couple of days...I stopped for gas and started searching for the switch...my 15 yr old gets out of the car, walks around to the fuel door, opens it and gets back in saying you can pump the gas now dad...:redface:
You DID say he was smart...

Where did that come from? :tongue: J/K!

#47 ·
TNCHARGER said:
When I was 16 I knew everything...every year since then I have been slowly forgetting things....:knockout: :smoke:
Hmmm... just the opposite of:

"When I left home when was 16, my father was the dumbest SOB that ever walked the face of the earth. When I returned home at the age of 21, I was astounded by how much he'd learned in five years!"

— Mark Twain

#48 ·
HemiChemi said:
Hmmm... just the opposite of:

"When I left home when was 16, my father was the dumbest SOB that ever walked the face of the earth. When I returned home at the age of 21, I was astounded by how much he'd learned in five years!"

— Mark Twain

Yeah, that is what I mean..at 16 knew way more than my dad..later as I began to forget things my dad began to know more than me..

#51 ·
Yep got me with that one too! i was in the gas station for about 10 min then got the owners manual and found out how to open the gas cover thingy. These new fangled American cars and there trick door hatches got us all fooled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.