Charger Forums banner

Lower gears?

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  2fast4u2013 
#1 ·
I was talking to one of my buddy's and he was asking me what size gears my car has (12 Charger RT) and I told him I wasn't sure and he said a quick way to get noticeable power is to change out the gears. He said the best bet would be to go to 4.10 or 4.11 (I can't remember). This is a all new ball park for me so I am wondering if anyone has any experience that they can chime in with. Also what gears does the stock 12 RT come with?

#2 ·
Give me the last 8 digits of your vin and I will tell you what you actually have. :bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#3 ·
4.10's are intended for drag racing, they are not really meant for a car you drive everyday, unless you want to cruise at 55 mph. Look for gears in the 3.20 to 3.50 range for driveability. I belong to a 60's hot rod club, and all the Chevelle's and GTO's with 4.11's cruise at 50-55 mph with their exhausts roaring and driving the owners nuts. I run 3.23's in my Chrysler convertible and comfortably cruise at 75 mph.

If you have the 2.65 gears like a lot of Chargers, then just moving to the factory 3.06 will be a nice difference.

#4 ·
Is it safe to give away the VIN number? I've never had anyone ask me for that before lol.

#5 ·
Yes. Dealers list VINs of cars on their sites all the time, and anyone can walk up to your car and see it. Not like it's a private thing.

#6 ·
Alright I was just checking lol. 370 HEMI the last 8 digits of the VIN is CH191028

#7 ·
If you have AWD, the Road and Track, or Blacktop package, you have the 3.06 axle ratio. Otherwise you have the 2.65 ratio.

Put a set of 3.91 gears in there and it will jump off the line! However, it will be a screamer on the highway.

GTO_04

#8 ·
Mine is a rear wheel drive R/T max. It does NOT have the "sport" button on it and it's not the Blacktop package due to it having factory chrome rims and factory chrome grill outline. The mesh part of the grill is black and the dodge design is chrome. It came with the 20 inch tires though and every single thing you can get (besides the sport button). I am already having traction issues as is though lol. I went to pass a semi the other day in a passing zone and I was going about 40 (in a 55) and as soon as I got in the left lane to pass I went WOT and notice a bit of traction loss followed by a burst of speed. That is one of the reasons why I am curious on what my car already has in it. Also if I put new gears such as the 3.91's in it will that damage the motor due to the higher RPM's?

#9 ·
Ok so I've been doing my research and a lot of people say to go to 3.23 gears because 3.06 runs 2,300 RPMs at 65 MPH on 5th gear and 3.92's would be running 2,500 RPM's at 65 mph in 5th gear. so I wonder what 3.23 gears would be running RPM range at 65 MPH?

#11 ·
3.55 is about the perfect street gear. If you have an 223mm Getrag in your car the gears are available however on the 2013 its a custom installation due to changes Chrysler made. If its got a 215mm differential (pretty sure its a 215) the only people that made gears was Richmond and they have been on backorder for years.

#13 · (Edited)
I've been looking at websites trying to find out where to gear lower gears and I can't seem to find any. According to 370 Hemi (which was a great amount of help) I have 265 gears and 215 mm ring gear. I am very new to changing out the gears (first time I've ever even considered it) so any information is useful and if someone could guide me on what I need to get as far as a kit goes that would be better. I talked to my mechanic and he said it would be an all day job but he could do it if I bought the kit so I don't know what all I need but I do know that from what everyone has told me I am practically being robbed on power due to the 2.65 gears.

P.S. I am still looking at the 3.23 gears cause I feel anything lower (I guess that's the right term) than that will make my RPM's too high on a cruise. This car is my daily driver and I do a lot of city driving and sometimes highway driving and I had to be staying at 2500 RPM's just on a 65 MPH cruise lol. Sorry I am a bit of a noob on this subject.

Reactions: GTO_04
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.