Charger Forums banner

Driving in the snow srt8?

11K views 53 replies 29 participants last post by  TurboAWD 
#1 ·
Does anyone drive there SRT8 in the snow? If so how does it handle?

#18 ·
#4 ·
Not a SRT8....but in the same ballpark. Been driving mine for my fifth winter and she is amazing even without snow tires!!

#5 ·
I don't have the SRT model but I love driving my Charger in the snow. If your doing regular driving the anti slip nanny function works beautifully around corners. Loosens up the rear end a bit. It's a great rear wheel drive vehicle to drive in the winter. If you turn off ESP and have some fun......it's a blast. The long wheel base works beautifully around corners and down the road. I also have a Jeep Cherokee and the short wheel base on the Jeep limits the fun a bit. I love sliding around the roads with my Charger.

#7 ·
I had no issues with mine in the snow, and I didn't even have snow tires. Drive carefully and remember that 1) ESP is your friend and 2) that you've got a lot of HP so you have to be easy on the throttle. If you can, get winter tires though.

#8 ·
I drove mine through a 30 inch snowstorm a couple seasons back

Had Conti Extreme Contact all seasons

No problems

To be safe, I would go with 4 Blizzaks next time

Cars are good in the snow as long as you have the proper tires on them

#11 ·
I use Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow on my 2012 Charger SRT8. I also used them on my 2009 Challenger SRT8.

They lose a lot of traction in the dry, and can easily be spun up to 50 or 60 MPH. Also be careful in the rain as they tend to lock up a bit on braking, much to my disappointment, and the Mazda in front of me.

They are great in the snow, however.

#13 ·
I have the Continetal Extreme Contact DWS. The SRT doesn't fear weather and is fully capable for Winter driving. ;)
I ran the same tires in a 30 inch snowstorm and did not get stuck

added weight to trunk

However, I would go with dedicated snow tires like Blizzaks for maximum grip

This year I have a beater with full winter tires so I am not driving the SRT8 in the snow. That gives me time to do a suspension rebuild as I just went over 185,000 miles.

I am glad to see the responses on here. On other boards you normally get the "you can't drive a 425HP car in the snow" as if you are going to floor it in a snowstorm.

Key factors are

1. Tires
2. Easy throttle modulation
3. Good weight balance
4. LSD
5. ESP

#15 ·
Are you running the Goodyear RS-As?

One of the worst tires on the market

Get rid of them immediately and get some Conti Extreme Contacts

#20 ·
On my 2006 Charger I drove 5 winter seasons on 4 winterforce tires with no issues at all. I used auto stick lots for down shifting when roads were slippery.

#21 ·
Was out and about yesterday in my SRT after a Wednesday night snowfall.

Came across a Toyota 4Runner stuck in the middle of an intersection and I drove right around him with no issues at all.

Proper Tires + Driving Skill :bigthumb:

#23 ·
We finally had some snow.
I took the car out with Pirelli scorpions and can't believe it but it drove better than my wives outback. Up hill it gripped better than the AWD outback with all seasons. Pretty happy with the tires
The car is not made for deep snow but on snow covered road, no complaints

#24 ·
BINGO

Unless you come across deep unplowed snow, it is all about the tires.

I drove my Impala SS in a 36 inch snowstorm in 96.

I hvae driven my SRT8 in several 12 inch storms

If you have tires like Scorpions or Blizzaks you are good until the snow gets so deep that the bottom of the car rubs

#25 ·
PS - the newer SRT8s with the REAL LSD will be much better than my 06

My 95 Impala SS was much better than the Charger because it had LSD

ESP is not built for starts in deep snow

#26 ·
I still have the F1 tires on my bee and its not bad in the snow. After a few hundred miles of tame driving the car adapts and mellows out a bit. Certainly makes it much more drivable then when i first bought it and it snapped around like a rubberband.
Given the choice ill take the truck with 4wd though. :)

#29 ·
Try Vred's in the snow... Actually no, don't ever try that, ever. I was stuck with half used Vred's and had to drive the superbee through one storm, that was frightening enough for me. Never would touch the snow again with that car unless I had a dedicated tire.

#28 ·
Lmao:biggrinjester:
I have a three mile commute to work and its 25 mph almost the whole way.
I still have the original tires on my truck from 04
Even though its a short drive i do it in style. :driving:

#31 ·
Got the chance to try my Hankook ventus v12s in the snow yesterday. About 3-4 inches slushy snow covered roads...no pavement....they did ok. A lot of power in the SRT and I found turning off esp worked a lot better for powering through it.

-- sent from my HTC DNA --

#39 ·
2nd gear starts are a big help

#40 ·
Big help indeed!
also as previously stated, some good time of calm driving to allow the adaptives to adapt to slower take offs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.