Charger Forums banner

5.7 HEMI tune up

41K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  SkydiverX 
#1 ·
Has anyone changed plugs on a HEMI yet? if so, is it difficult? I called the dealer and they told me that it should be done every 30,60,and 90k miles.I'm at 39k now ,I don't have problems with my HEMI, just want to get it done. Thanks in advance..:rolleyes2:

#2 ·
Friend of mine did mine in my R/T when I had it. Took him no time or trouble at all.

But then he's a mechanic and has the right tools and does it for a living. It took him maybe 15-20 mins.

I've heard of guys on here pulling the motor to do the plugs!

#3 ·
Yeah...I was told that I should only need to change the plugs...two plugs per cylinder..just wondering if anyone has done it themselves,and how to do it.

#4 ·
He did my plugs, PCV, differential fluid and transmission fluid. All at 50,000km, which is about 31,000 miles.

Took him about 90 minutes to do all of that work.

I watched, but no way I could tell ya. :)

#5 ·
How much was that? Looks like I should take it to a mechanic...trying to avoid the dealer..want too much $$ !!

#6 ·
It's easy to do yourself.

Here's everything you need to know...

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=802849&postcount=52

It was under the "How do I...EVERYTHING!" sticky at the top of this section. I suggest always looking there first when you have questions like this because after 6 years of these cars there has been a lot of knowledge accumulated there.

#8 ·
The book says it takes 4 hours. Local shops typically charge $85/hr. Most people I've talked to can do it in about 90 real minutes.

I have issues pulling off the the coil packs and breaking a boot in the process. I know me, that's why I wait for the stealership to have a special.

Removing the motor for a spark plug change is so....Cadillac.

#9 ·
I did it myself when I hit the mileage mark piece of cake and im not a wrencher I just followed instructions found here. Also if you dont want to replace them in another 30k miles put something besides the garbage OEM copper plugs in there.

#10 ·
took me an hour. My buddy did one side and I did the other at the same time. Was the easiest tuneup I've ever done. Now my 2001 Silverado, that was a *****.

#11 ·
My 15 year old daughter changed mine. Really.

If you aren't a wrench turner, make sure to get and use a torque wrench.

#12 · (Edited)
THANKS EVERYONE !!...i'm definitely doing it myself..going with the champion 3750 platinum's, got them at pep boys for 2 bucks each. :bigthumb:

#13 ·
Changed the plugs out this morning...it was a piece of cake,only took me an hour...thanks again for all the input.

:bigthumb:

#18 ·
Just because the factory put them in does'nt mean its good for the car...they put them in because they are cheap,only last 30k?,come on,they should last twice that.

#21 ·
My 2007 SRT came with Iridium plugs. Both the 5.7 and 6.1 have the same coils so the platinum and iridium plugs that are standard in the SRT should work fine in the R/T.

I switched from iridiums to coppers after reading all the stories about people having stalling problems with the high dollar plugs. I even had Service Managers at the dealers suggesting that I down grade to the coppers. I took their advice and my car ran worse with the coppers than it did with the iridiums. My gas mileage went down as well. I even tried changing brands of copper plugs and that went even further in the wrong direction.

#22 ·
I would like to see some pictures of the old plugs. personally i think my OEM coppers would have been fine until 60k. I had new ones already bought at 30k so i went ahead and replaced them.

Attachments

#23 ·
I already threw them out but they looked bad...like the pic you posted.

#24 ·
Those do look good from what I can see, what your really inspecting is the electrodes for wear. My "100K" factory platinums were pretty eroded by I think it was 72K. So, a plugs "usable life" isn't the same as its optimum life.

#26 ·
Well...I didn't want to push it,I want my Hemi to last long ,my mileage is at 39k and I was told to change the plugs at 30k...I already felt like it was overdue.

#27 ·
generally both copper and plat. plugs fire the same but the plats. last longer because the tips are platinum.So they wear down slower.If you see a car with 100,000 miles tune up intervals it usaully means it has plat plugs and that usaully means they are a PAIN to remove.

Side note I just changed my 2000 ram plugs at 86,000,copper.The trunk ran pretty smooth but needed a change and appearntly it was its first change(I bought it earlier this year).The tips were woren down from stck .40 to .60:eek3: but other than a slight stumble here and there it ran fine.
So not changing your plugs won't hurt your motor just uses more gas because they cant burn it all.

If you want fewer plug changes go with the platinums but if you want OEM the coppers work just as good just not as long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.