Charger Forums banner

Billtet Catch Can

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  djalbin 
#1 ·
I was thinking about getting a catch can for my new 5.7 reman engine. I dont quite know exactly how it would help or if it would help keeping the engine in good shape. I just keep hearing that I really need one.
So I was looking at the Billet models.

But while in my search i came across these accessories for it. If I order the billet can would it be best to add these accessories with it?

http://www.uprproducts.com/dodge-chrysler-catch-cans.html

Billet Check Valve
UPR Billet Defuser
Catch Can Extension ( since i take long trips 12hr+ every week)

Can someone please explain?

#2 ·
The basic purpose of this is to keep the motor healthier by collecting all the oil sludge build up, you would empty the can out every month or so (give or take), as far as performance goes i dont think their is much of a gain of HP or anything like that.

#3 ·
As I understand it, the catch can is to prevent oil mist from crank case ventilation from entering back into the intake stream. By allowing the oil mist back into the intake stream, it effectively lowers the octane level of your fuel mixture, letting your knock sensor retard timing and pulling power. But I dont think you'll be affected by timing as much when your driving on the interstate.

I have no opinion on the accessories.

#5 ·
Hemi31 posted a bunch of pics from an engine he tore down. Rear most pistons were coated in thick carbon deposit. catch can... catches the vapors that seem to collect in the back cylinders.

#7 ·
Reactions: sal jc
#8 ·
I've had one on all 3 of my Chargers. Agree with the above. You can order from the above and get everything you need, unless you want to order braided lines and the billet hose ends.

#13 ·
no

Is it a lease or purchase?

#11 ·
Look at the one above from billet tech... it has the diffuser built into the top portion of the unit itself and has the catch can extension as in the link you originally posted. I change my oil every 5k miles and empty the catch can at that time. The reservoir is plenty capable of handling the capacity during that interval.

#15 ·
I don't consume any oil even at the track. I'm wondering if maybe my motor is tighter then average?
The typical amount being recirculated into the intake manifold is not enough to measure with the oil dipstick. A easy way to check if oil mist is being recirculated to the intake manifold is to pull the rubber vacuum hose, that runs from the PCV to the intake manifold, from the intake manifold. Look inside the intake manifold nipple and see if there's any oil inside the tube. If there's any oil or oil residue coating the inside of the tube - you have oil mist being recirculated to the intake manifold.
You still may not feel compelled to install a catch can but it is evidence that oil mist is being recirculated to the intake manifold.
It's designed this way to meet EPA regulations (don't expel the oil out into the environment) and make it maintenance free for the owner. The engine will tolerate burning the oil during combustion and the owner doesn't have any maintenance to perform.
But if you don't want the oil being recirculated to the intake manifold, and don't mind the routine maintenance of checking/emptying the catch can, then a catch can makes sense.

#18 ·
The install is not difficult. Instructions come with the kit. Attached below is a link to a YouTube video demonstrating the install. Also attached is a link to a PDF with the install instructions.

A few comments regarding the video ...
1. I did remove the engine cover (mine is off all the time) but I didn't remove the air intake tube. There was plenty of room to work with the air intake tube attached and I wanted to see how the catch can hoses were going to fit with the air intake tube in place.
2. I ordered/installed the regular PCV hoses rather than the braided hoses (this is a choice when you order the kit). The PCV hoses are a thick reinforced hose and can be cut to length.
3. I don't remove the hoses when removing the bottom of the catch can to check the oil.
4. For the catch can to intake manifold connection ... I reused the 90deg PCV elbow connection that was already attached between the PCV valve and intake manifold. I just turned it towards the catch can and connected the catch can hose to it.
5. I sprayed a little WD-40 inside the PCV hoses prior to pushing them onto the nipple connections. They slip on real easy this way.

The quality of the BT catch can is really good.

http://www.custombilletstore.net/v/...ugh 5.7l 6.1l std catch can instructions2.pdf

#20 ·
I got the 3.6 engine. Do I need it?
Good question. I don't know. The only catch cans I have seen are for the V8s. Maybe some of the V6 owners on the forum will have a better answer for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.