Votes: 31 43.1%
  • To shift early when possible

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 33 45.8%

Poll: Auto Stick

11K views 90 replies 38 participants last post by  dstrand25 
#1 ·
I was just curious why and when you guys use the stick vs keep it in auto? I just put some generic poll points down so leave an explination in the comments.

#5 ·
I use it to goad the weedeaters into a race. So many around here take a 4 cylinder Neon, add a muffler from Ryobi, a set of chrome Craftsman wheels and think they are the Fast and Furious stars. Funny to hear them grabbing gears as they see the tailights getting away...

#7 ·
Strong quantity of fart cannons on 270.

#8 ·
Pretty much all the time.

#10 ·
I use autostick all the time, winter summer dont matter!
I dont not use it for racing as the mopar TCM does not have auto upshift and the TCM is way more consistent on shifting than I could ever be.

I use it for lots of reasons, ability to be in the right gear for go fast all the time, car sounds way cooler in a lower gear, I like to keep rpms just shy of powerband for rapid downshifts, and because SLP Loudmouth has an irritating rasp fartsy sound at certain RPMS and I like to avoid that sound and autostick gives me that ability

#11 ·
Usually I use it to keep the speed down. I have some hills near me and keeping it in 3rd is perfect. In fact, there is really little need to ever go higher than third around town.

As far as performance, you get better performance in auto mode.

It is also convenient to slow down without brakes when you are surprised by a cop ahead.

#13 ·
As far as performance, you get better performance in auto mode.
Glad someone else is mentioning this - though you may feel like Vin Diesel when you're in autostick, your car IS faster in auto mode.

That being said, I mainly keep it in autostick because of how terrible the trans is at putting me where I want in terms of power output. I'm either way underpowered or its giving me way too much. Like if I don't WANT to go all the way down to 2nd gear from 5th, maybe just down to 3rd to slightly speed up.

In auto it's the typical: foot 40% pedal pressure, jump to 60% almost no difference or downshift, jump to 80% car thinks we're basically going WOT and jumps to as low of a gear as possible. IMO that kind of BS is dangerous especially when trying to merge onto a road or get around/avoid something

#12 ·
Lol! Where's the option for "I've never seen this option on a vehicle, so it confused me as to what an 'Auto Stick' was and why there are little buttons on my shifter."

It was odd enough to find out that the shifter was mounted directly to the dash.

Since there's no place to race around here, i'll likely just use it for when I want to feel like I'm driving manual. My Honda Fit Sport is a manual and that is tons of fun to drive.

#14 ·
I use it all the time to decelerate at stop lights.

#16 ·
I use the slapstick all the time. It saves on brakes when coming to a stop. Once I am at cruising speed I slap it in OD though. The perfomance IMO is much better in slap mode. I see a huge difference at the track between letting it go throught the gears in slap than in OD. When rolling through the gears manually the sound of the engine and exhaust sounds much better than in auto.

#18 ·
I personally use the stick when I am bored or just want to feel agressive. Sometimes I use it to slow down. I have forgotten I was in it before and realized it when I left a light and I wound up first. Its all good. I did down shift to punch it today to get around a coworker.

#19 · (Edited)
I use the stick to downshift. Saves the brakes a ton. I agree it feels faster in auto when punching it although sometimes I like to shift before the RPMs are revved out completely. There are custom options with the Diablosport tunes as well. Have fun with it.:rocker:

#20 ·
always use manual around town, switch to auto on the highway.. only cause if forgot to shift up to 5th a couple of times, tunes cranked flying down the highway at 70 and notice im still in 3rd, opps

#21 ·
I use Autostick 95% of the time. If I feel like gasoline milege mode, I shift at no more than 2k RPM and get up to 5th gear by 40 mph.

If I want to hear the engine more, I wind it out more to listen. It really is the best of both worlds. Sounds like a manual when you want it to and is an automatic when you need it to be.

Times where I have to concentrate on the road or kids or talking on the uconnect, I don't want another thing to distract me.

When I first got it, I did the same thing. why does the engine sound like.....oh need to shift out of 1st....duh.

Much better 6 years later! :beerchug:

Regards,
Brian;)

#23 ·
Have any of you driven a 300 using Autostick? It is much different than the Charger programming. The gear indicator stays in the last gear selected (3 for example) even when the car comes to a stop. It then shifts like it is in Auto mode (using normal acceleration) but won't shift above the selected gear. It's weird and harder to control than the Charger version.

#24 ·
I don't use it, ever! I can't even break myself down to use it. You wanna know why? I'll tell you why, and it'll blow your friggin' mind!

...my car doesn't have it :biggrinjester:

#39 ·
Or a pregnant wife that hits the shifter with prego belly while reaching back to smack up one of her other kids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.