Charger Forums banner

2015 Charger RT MPG

9K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Telco 
#1 ·
So I am the proud new owner of a brand new 2015 Granite Charger RT, absolutely in love with the car, I am experiencing something that I think may or may not be outside of the norm (my first charger). When I bought the car it had about 100 miles on it, I read the manual regarding the break-in period for the 5.7's, and it states that for 300 miles, moderate driving to a quick speed up (where laws allow) is acceptable and recommended. So for the past 3 days (since I bought the car, with a full tank of gas) I've been doing just that. The manual states that fluids may become lowered during the break-in, but doesn't specify. I understand the fuel tank is only like 17 or 18 gallons, my truck before was 25 gallons but only got about 10mpg. But it just seems to me like half a tank gone in 3 days is a little much for this car, I havent been driving a whole bunch, only about 80-90 miles in 3 days, according to the odometer. Has anyone had this experience for the first few hundred miles with their RT? Or does that sound about right? Any help would be appreciated!:laugh2:

#2 ·
Mileage for the charger r/t is based on how you drive the car. If you drive aggressively in the city you'll get lower MPG than if you drive 55 on the interstate with the cruise control on. For me, I do about a 50 50 mix of city and highway driving and I average about 17MPG.

Shortfuse

#3 ·
It's all about your driving habits right now.. drive it normal and see how it changes. I'm averaging 24mpg right now to/from work (70 miles per day)

#5 ·
Yeah! just as supprised as you were, long story short someone (a few people) dropped the ball and forgot it was in the back for 8 months, and when they realized they tried to sell it for 2 grand less than a 2016, not happening. Sticker price 37k, my drive out was 28k. :wink3:

Drove about 20 city miles today and the range was pretty consistent with the odometer, was a little more light footed as well, maybe ill just need to get used to having a lil bigger engine with a smaller tank! nonetheless in love with the car!

#6 ·
I believe your tank is 18.5 gallons.. and obviously your trucks tank was bigger but due to the poor mileage it needed it. This car should easily get 20-25 mpg so the offset in size should still get you further than your previous truck did on a tank of gas.

#7 ·
Congrats! Lets see some pic!

#8 ·
With tire pressure set to 45psi, cruise control set to 80, after 5 hours of straight driving my 16 R/T said it was getting 28.? MPG. Cruise control set to 70 after 2 straight hours after resetting meter car said it was getting 33.8 MPG. For those that do not like the MPG calculator I made it from Detroit to the Maryland state line one 1 tank of gas. Car said it had 30 miles to empty when I filled back up. Speed was mostly 80 but I had a few high spirted moments that it hit triple digits.

After my trip I realized the tire pressure was WAY too high and since dropped it to 35 psi all around, gas mileage dropped as well. Now at 80 I get around 24-25 MPG and at 70 around 30 MPG. The gas mileage I get in my R/T is amazing IMHO! A 4400 lb car with a 5.7 liter V8 Hemi and it can get over 30 MPG on the highway and run mid 13's is fantastic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.