Charger Forums banner

LED highbeams

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  that_guy 
#1 ·
I am about ready to order some Spyder headlights and I want to change out the highbeams at that time to LED. The low beams are HID from factory but I hate the weak halogen highs. Has anyone does this and what is a recommended bulb? Also how well do they shine (not how bright)

#2 ·
The Spyder headlights are great because they use CLEAR lenses in the HID lowbeam projectors and make a world of difference in brightness and cutoff. I hardly even used highbeams once I installed those when I had a '13 Daytona.

BUT - part of that was because the Spyder headlights use a tiny H1 bulb or something like that instead of the factory, larger halogen bulb. Replacing it with some crap aftermarket LED will not help you. LEDs are not designed for plug n play replacement in a halogen designed headlight reflector housing. The light output on the road will be garbage and you will get dangerous light scatter blinding other drivers. Buy a better replacement halogen bulb, or live without good high beams.

#3 ·
I haven't seen the Spyder projectors, but aftermarket projectors usually have really crappy optics compared to OEM equipment. Maybe the lens is optically clear which should be better than the OEM fresnel lens, but I'd be willing to wager that the projector bowl itself is just some generic halogen one (narrow beam pattern) with a different bulb holder. If you really wanted better light you'd be better off installing a better hid projector into a set of lights.

As for the LEDs, nitemare hit the nail on the head, LEDs cannot replicate a filament, so the optics would be way off and probably wouldn't provide much useful light. Have you tried 9011 HIR bulbs in place of the 9005? They are a big improvement in terms of light output and have identical filament placement. All you have to do is trim a tab on them and they'll pop right in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.