Charger Forums banner

14 Superbee front fascia PlastiDip.

8K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  JimVZ 
#1 · (Edited)
SAVAGE's Superbee Mods

Okay so I've had this little lady for almost a year now. She's my everyday driver, and a couple months ago, this half-inch steel cable fell from the FM407 bridge that was under deconstruction over I-35E in Lewisville, TX. It fell directly in front of the car in front of us. We had nowhere to go. That cable blew out the girl in front of us' two left tires, and that cable came up and smacked the Charger in the front end, and scuffed it up pretty bad.

A good buffing did most of the work, but there was some damage to the clear coat. The construction company is still "investigating" the incident, trying to find someone to blame. Rather than file a claim on my insurance, I've decided to just do a little work on my own. :) I wanted to keep it cheap since eventually the entire front fascia is going to have to be replaced thanks to some actual damage to the polyurethane on the lip. That will have to come later, and I'll probably do that when I get the Sniper hood to go with it so I can have it painted and blended all in one go.

So, I went down to Autozone, bought a can of PlastiDip and painters tape, and went home and started the work. We matched the color best we could to the matte graphite vinyl, but the PD has a light flake to it. I'm not really too concerned, especially since I have enough left over I could probably do the grill cross and mirrors to match it if I wanted to. All in all, took about an hour of work and ten bucks for a single can of PD.

Anywho, what do you fellas think of my work? It's the first time I've ever painted anything on a car. I chronicled the work flow to keep track of it all. :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Okay double post, I know, but I did a little more to it! :D I did the grille cross and the mirrors. :D

Next stop: The Spoiler and the hood vinyls.

Guys.. I think I have an addiction problem. I'm addicted to painting my car. o_O

Attachments

#4 ·
Superb! Love it, like Ddaddy said, with the matching cross! Gives me a few ideas for my own Bee... >:)

#6 ·
Thanks guys! :D I appreciate the input.

Tacoma, Unfortunately it doesn't match PERFECTLY, and my OCD is kicking in. The PD has some silver flake, so I'm going to go over the vinyl on the hood to make it match. I'm also gonna do the spoiler soon too. :)

Tynarus, I recommend doing your Grille, the Hood Scoop and the Spoiler. I think that'll look best on yours :)

Ddaddy, Thanks, and indeed with the Grille Cross painted it looks loads better. I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

Reactions: Tynarus
#7 · (Edited)
Tynarus, I recommend doing your Grille, the Hood Scoop and the Spoiler. I think that'll look best on yours :)
I had the cross in mind, but thanks for the spoiler and hood scoop idea! I was actually very interested in getting a black spoiler and it didn't even cross my mind to use PD for some odd reason! Seems like a much better idea, in-case I don't end up liking it. :)

EDIT:

Aaand one bad photoshop job later...

Not sure how I feel about the hood, but I love the mirrors and grill cross!

#8 ·
I personally like the hood. If it's done correctly and on the body lines, I think it'll look great. Maybe don't do a solid matte black, but a matte graphite like I did. It has a silver flake in it that makes it really pop

#14 ·
Tried dipping my spoiler on Sunday, but the top came out pretty textured. Held the can too far away. What's a good distance when spraying? The closer the better?

#15 ·
I usually stay 6-7 inches away. Also, if you can prop the spoiler up so you are spraying level to the ground vs tilting th can and point it perpendicular.to the ground, that will help in consistent flow from the can.

#16 ·
I was about 6 inches away, but I was also spraying it on the ground. Came out really textured. I'll try propping it up against a wall, thanks!

#17 ·
Looks great.. be sure you are putting 3 to 5 coats on so it will peel off easy..... otherwise pain in the butt. I have used 4 or 5 coats np.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

#18 · (Edited)
I used 4 coats. First two at 50% coverage, third at 75% and then the final coat a good 100% coverage. It came out really really beautiful. There was a very light run on the left mirror but that's because I stayed just a bit too long in one spot on the corner. I also made sure not to fire the can at angles if I could help it. :)
@Tynarus, feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions! I'm going to do my spoiler next too. I love this graphite flake color. It's not glossy, so it stands out from the rest of the car, but it's not quite matte either, so it catches your eyes! :D

#21 · (Edited)
I'm just gonna see if I can ask the mods to change the topic name to "SAVAGE's Superbee Mods" because I've done more work, this time in the engine bay! I used leftover from the silver-flake graphite and a matte red. I did a little research and a guy that has a 2013 SRT8 challenger used the same brand PD I did and he's had his on his engine covers for a little over a year with no problem, so I don't think the engine temps are gonna do too much damage. :)

feel free to copy the image URL (or Open image in new tab if you use chrome) to view the 1080 HD versions of the images! :D

#23 ·
Looks nice... are you using the Plastidip brand or some other brand? Just curious as I may follow you lead on engine trims.

#24 ·
I'm using an off-brand by Rust-o-leum. Autozone was having a sale on the cans of them so I grabbed a few. I spoke with one of the guys who worked there who was an avid Dipper. He said they're essentially the same, the only difference really is that Plastidip brand offers way more in terms of color and coat type (gloss, matte, flake ect) choices. Fortunately, the Rus-o-leum brand had the color types I liked. I mean, at five bucks a can, I can't really go wrong, seeing as I can just peel it off if it messes up.

#25 ·
Looks great. The peel coat is basically the same stuff. I like the graphite as well!

#26 ·
Looks great!

#28 ·
PlastiDip: "I put that sh*t on EVERYTHING" :p

So apparently, it makes for good computer paint too, since it's non-conductive! I did my PC Case, inside and out in my favorite Graphite Flake and Brilliant Blue, and also did the cover to my Video Card and the RAM covers. I don't run my RAM too hard (since I have 32GB of it), so I'm not worried about the thermals.

(yes, I know this is a bit off-topic, but I couldn't resist sharing with you guys :) )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.