Charger Forums banner

TCM, PCM, and HVAC Updates

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Telco 
#1 ·
Just took my 2016 Charger SP in for an oil change and the dealer informed me of the available TCM, PCM, and HVAC flashes available and I went ahead and did them.

Right away I noticed a bit smoother of a shift from 1 to 3 at the lower speeds but one thing I thoroughly enjoyed about the "pre-flash" shift pattern was that it would shift a bit slower. By the time I was at 25-30 mph, I was still in third and could roll on the gas pedal and take off no problem. On my way home, I took my favorite corner that I normally take in third gear (automatic after slowing, not manually downshifting) and went to roll on the gas out of the corner and the damn thing was in fourth already. I'm guessing that in an effort to correct "hard shifts" the flash raised the shift pattern in the lower gears to a slightly higher RPM and created a smoother transition. I'm just not 100% sure that I like it at all. I feel like I'm having to get further into the pedal to get the car to move from slower speeds because it's in a higher gear.

I didn't try sport mode shifting in auto yet, so I don't know how that operates. I'm definitely wishing I did not perform the flash at this time. Maybe after a few days of driving it, I will get used to it. Who knows...

Heed my words, if you are super in tune with you car and how it drives, you may not like how it operates after the TCM/PCM flash. Or, maybe I'm just super picky and notice the minimal stuff that most wouldn't care about. Still, it is my opinion that if you are not experiencing any issues with you shifting or what have you, decline the update from the dealer. My 2 cents...

Also, does any one know where to find the "patch notes" about what the update does? Is this stuff kept pretty hidden to the consumer base?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I dunno, but I just had the same updates done today. Haven't noticed any shift changes, but I have noticed that the throttle is working more smoothly. This was actually a complaint I had on mine, the car acted like it didn't recognize the first 5 percent of the throttle, so it was impossible to take off smoothly.

Give it a few weeks before deciding it's a problem though. When they make a computer update it clears the adaptive tables. It'll take the car a bit of time to learn how you drive again, and it'll likely get better as it learns you again.

Can't comment on the HVAC updates, because mine was broken. They had to put a new module in to make it work correctly. It was jumping between fan speeds on its own according to them.

#3 ·
Hi Aric,

Are there any TSB numbers on your invoice? If you can post them or PM our page with them I'd be happy to look into these updates further for you.

Andrea
Dodge Social Care Specialsit

#4 ·
No there weren't. I looked for them so that I may be able to search some database.

I was unaware that the car had adaptive tables that learned how you drive (if thats a thing?). I noticed a bit of a difference this morning in stop and go traffic. It was an improvement from yesterday.

I'm not saying any of this is a problem, just that I am super picky about how my car drives and how I noticed a difference from before.

#6 ·
On my way home, I took my favorite corner that I normally take in third gear (automatic after slowing, not manually downshifting) and went to roll on the gas out of the corner and the damn thing was in fourth already.
This is exactly what "manual mode" is for. ;)

Start practicing with it and you'll get good with it. It won't let you overspeed the engine or anything, so don't worry about damaging the car. I wouldn't bounce it off the rev-limiter too often though.
I think you'll enjoy having a "manual" transmission, once you get used to it.

The manual-shift in the old 5-speed was a little slow to react, I just got used to downshifting a bit early is all.

#9 ·
A properly tuned transmission requires no manual shift function. Not easy to do though. I spent the better part of a year tuning a 4 speed auto in my truck, but it shifts EXACTLY like I would do if I were shifting it manually. Towards the end of the tuning process I was shifting it by 1MPH at a time but man was it worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.