Charger Forums banner

2016 Charger R/T mods - where to start

25K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  Dannyb55 
#1 ·
hello all, I just got a 2016 r/T and wanted opinions on where to begin to add to:
look and sound
power
I'm assuming there is a tune or something that should be able to help launch and top speed, I basically don't know where to begin.
also, my car has the bigger touch screen but no reverse cam... WTF?? Is there a way to add one that functions with my current screen? thanks in advance

#2 ·
One of the easiest things to add is ACES IV in your fuel. It produces more power and torque by burning the gasoline more efficiently. It ends up smoothing out your engine, quieting down some of the Hemi Tick and lubricating the upper cylinders stopping wear in the bores and stem area for as long as you use it. Still have the special this month at $69.95 which treats 200 gallons of fuel.

Many thousands of people use this in their fuel every day! We have a 99.2% reorder rate on it and it supports any other mod you do.

Congratulations on the new R/T.:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#3 ·
my car has the bigger touch screen but no reverse cam... WTF?? Is there a way to add one that functions with my current screen? thanks in advance
First, Congrats on the new car. Yes, there are several good topics on adding the backup camera to your car. Not to badly priced either. Just do some quick searches and you'll find all that you need. :beerchug:

#5 ·
GREAT! But your PCM is locked so you gotta buy a new PCM or get yours unlocked but in either case your power train warranty just went out the window.

Check out the stage kits Dodge offers for your car, I'm mixing and matching parts from stage 1 and stage 3 kits to make my own that won't hurt my warranty and according to the guys at Steve White Dodge should be good for an additional 50-60hp.

#7 ·
Yes. They'll also install them for you....for a fee.

They make 3 Scat Pack stage kits for the Charger R/T.

Stage 1 is a Mopar intake, Mopar catback exhaust, tuned PCM, high flow oil filter and stag 1 stickers.

Stage 2 is a new cam, Stage 2 PCM and I can't remember the rest.

Stage 3 is heads, and SRT exhaust manifolds and midpipes.

Stage 1 doesn't hurt anything and is 100% emissions legal. Stage 2 and 3 are not emissions legal.

IF I remember correctly all 3 stages add 70 or 80hp, but please don't quote me.

#9 ·
No clue and I haven't found anyone willing to take over my warranty should this tuner void it and at $44,000 I'm not looking to lose my warranty! If Diablo is SO sure the dealership can't tell then they should put it in writing to that fact and IF the dealership does find it they'll take over the warranty. If they won't give me a gaurentee like that it means they know the dealership could in fact find it and they won't "man up" and say so.

#10 ·
But my plan, which is already underway, is an intake (I went with a Volant intake, same thing as a Corsa but $50 less cause of the name) SRT manifolds and midpipes, Solo cat back exhaust system, and a stage 1 PCM which is basically a transmission tune. I may go with a set of Solo high flow midpipes with 200 cell cats as Solo says they're worth 12-18hp over the factory midpipes and cats and will not throw a CEL.

This should be good for 50-60hp and put me in the 12's, not DEEP in the 12's but I'll be happy with a reliable 12.8 car.

#13 ·
From what I've been told you'd need to change the axles, knuckles and possibly the drive shaft which is why I gave up on the idea of gears. Oh yeah and you can't just do a simple gear swap as Dodge WELDED the gears to the carrier so you'd need a new carrier too.

Unless you find a wrecked SRT to take all the parts off its not worth it.

#16 · (Edited)
SRT and Hellcat have a different rear then an R/T. SRT and Hellcat are both limited slip (posi) rears the R/T is an open rear that uses traction control to help both wheels engage so it acts like a posi rear.

R/T uses a smaller 220mm rear carrier.
SRT and Hellcat use larger 230mm rear.
V6 cars use a 210mm rear.

None can interchange parts that I am aware of from my research.

Yes the R/T gears are welded to the carrier. I can not speak to the V6 cars or SRT or Hellcats as I have not looked into them cause I don't have 1 of them.

In the above they are changing out the whole center section which yes is relatively an easy job, however the SRT rear can not just swap into an R/T. Axles are different, which makes the knuckles different because the bearings are different. Totally different rears. I've also been told the drive shaft may also need to be changed.

I'm not aware of any place that offers an R/T center section with different gears loaded. R/T 220mm gears sets are available but I'm confused as to why since you can not just unbolt the ring gear from the carrier because it's welded in. So if you keep the stock R/T rear center section and get new gears you'll also need a new carrier.

#20 ·
so what exactly does and does not void my warranty? i want to get some exhaust work done, would i be best suited getting "stage 1" and if so where would i have this installed? If it is better to find wrecked srts and get the parts from them i can try that route as well, there are a lot of junkyards in socal

#22 ·
Like Mangoman said it depends a lot on your dealer. I have 2 dealers here in Indiana, but I wouldn't take anything to either of them unless I didn't have ANY aftermarket parts on or the warranty problem was completely unrelated (A/C module with a CAI Present)

If you're in a car club with some Mopar guys you can usually ask them and they'll let you know of who to talk to for mod friendly dealers or a specific contact at those dealers. I think you mentioned you were in California? You might post in the forums here for california and ask that question.

Another thing you'll have to deal with in Cali is that stupid CARB inspection, so unless you have a contact that can get around that look for shorty headers or cat backs that have that certification.

#21 ·
That's a complicated answer. If you swap out your catback then naturally the warranty on it is gone since it's no longer the factory parts.

Where the tricky stuff starts to come in is when the mod you add could cause other parts you never touched to fail, this is the problem. Some dealerships will void you for damn near any aftermarket parts as evidence o offer the case of the Hellcat owner who had his WHOLE new car warranty voided for installing a drop in K&N air filter! He had to get Dodge involved and a lot of bad press to get this reversed!

Long tube headers will cause some to void you, others won't.

Myself I'm sticking with stuff I know I'll be safe in doing. I have a Volant intake, SRT manifolds and midpipes, Stage 1 PCM, and will have a custom cat back. The reason for the SRT manifolds and midpipes is because these cone as part of the stage 3 kit so it can't void the warranty as its offered by MOPAR as a kit that you can install and retain the warranty.

#25 ·
I have same cR bone stock

Unlocked.pcm hp.tuners
Full.3 inch exhaust stainless
Shell cats dummy
Long tube 1 7/8 headers am.
Added 100 hp with 3 inch cold.air and good set tires
Tuned car
Stock rear qheel.power on dyno was 292hp 371hpflywheel...after 382hp rear 457 flywheel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.