Charger Forums banner

MOPAR warranty

3K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  Telco 
#1 ·
Got a letter from Dodge about aN extended warranty for my Charger. I can get unlimited miles and time for $368 down and $122 for 2 years but my car MUST remain ALL 100% showroom stock aside from cosmetic stuff. Or covered until 2023 and 100,000 miles for $168 down and $112 a month for 2 years and I can get stage kits and they'd be covered too. Considering going with the 100,000 mile deal and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this MOPAR extended warranty. It has a $100 deductible but it'll cover the car bumper to bumper for 7 more years and 100,000 more miles!

Thoughts? Anyone?

#2 ·
MM:
Congrats on your new Charger! I think you need to know how long you expect to have the Charger around?
The answer to that question can guide you on whether to spring for the 7/yr 100K, or the Lifetime.

Whichever way, you will get a better price from Clay Robbins at Zeigler Motors. My Lifetime policy was $2500 but my Charger was just over 30K when I bought. Your mileage is much lower, so your quote will likely be a bit less.

Don

#4 ·
Warranty? I just don't do well with leaving a car stock or keeping it for more than a year so I usually don't buy them, but I am interested in how well Dodge takes car of stuff, as I had some really bad times with ford.

#5 ·
MM:
It is the same warranty. I would not have any other than the factory backed/issued plan. If you google his name, there are many threads on this and other forums about him, and the great prices. When I got the card from Dodge, they wanted almost $4k for the same policy!

Don

#6 ·
Dragman, that's how I am which is why the lifetime one is out the window as I already have stuff for my car as soon as the weather gets nice and I have time for the install.

But I'm being realistic, I can't afford an SRT car at this point due to family stuff and as much as I'd love to get one I just can't. So I'll be in my R/T for a while and being it has every electrical gadget available on the R/T it'd all be covered too! Mechanical stuff I can fix easy it's the electrical stuff I'm worried about. This would cover it, or that's what they claim which is why I asked. :D

#11 ·
Telco:
What are you basing those numbers on? My Charger is a bit over 3 years old, and has and will continue to be well cared for. Were you to make that statement about a 10 year old car, I could see those figures being more in line. It makes sense that the manufacturer has to have an end point to such a policy.

An AC, trans, transfer case, differential repair, etc will easily make what I paid worthwhile.
Should it come to the point where my Charger needs a repair that exceeds its value, I can count on having FCA kick in the book value, and then I can pay the balance if I choose. At the rates dealers charge these days, it does not take many covered repairs to get ones money back. Of course, if the vehicle in question runs forever like a top, one might only enjoy the piece of mind of the policy.
In my case, I plan to have my car for 10 years, so that is $250 a year to know that any covered repair will cost me no more than $100. If there are multiple issues present in a single visit, that it even better.

Not counting the FCA Lifetime on the Charger, of the three extended warranties I have bought to date, only one failed to pay for itself. If money is no issue, and the owner can cough up a couple of grand at any given moment with no trouble, then the extra warranty is probably not a good choice.
Obviously, if one plans to get rid of the car before or when the bumper to bumper warranty is up, that is another no brainer to not buy.

When I bought my 1995 Taurus SHO in 1997, I bought a 5 year 100K policy (third party, not again though) for $1250, and got back $4500 out of it. The Yamaha V6 in that car was $9000+ to replace. The engine was trouble free, but I got the trans rebuilt with it along with a few other goodies right before the policy expired on time. That bill would have cost me $2500.

Not counting a $100 deductible or two, I figure $.61 cents a day (as long as I have it 10 years) is a pretty good gamble.

Don

#12 ·
If you're asking if I sat down and did a full cost analysis to get the pricing down to the penny, I didn't because this is an internet chat board and not a court of law. I don't have to be accurate to five 9s to get my point across. I basically pulled the numbers out of my backside. I know what a crate engine costs, roughly. I assume that the install cost is the same as the engine cost, because dealer mechanic charges are pretty high per hour and is one of the reasons I turn my own wrenches unless there is a warranty. Cars can generally be assumed to be worth half their new price after 5 years. If I'm buying a warranty to fix my car during a specific mileage and age span, then I expect the warranty company to make the repairs regardless of whether the repair is more than the cost of the car. If I'm buying a warranty I'm buying protection against the cost of repairs, not against the value of the car.

#13 ·
Telco:
Your opinion is as valuable as anyone else's here on a forum. I imagine that most (including me) are aware that this is a forum, and not a court of law. How do those comments relate to the topic at hand? Rereading my post, I did not mention anything of the sort.
My point is that an extended warranty makes sense for some folks, and not for others. The "lifetime" aspect is interesting, and rightly so has limits.

Given what I paid for my Charger, if all I get is the cost of the policy back over the time I have it, that will satisfy me. Your point that a large repair late in the life of the policy may not be covered totally is a valid one to be considered. My experience is that the myriad of electrical systems on cars these days cost big bucks. I am sure you know that an AC evap or heater core can run big bucks because the dash has to come out. We had an 05 Grand Caravan that a $600 computer module fail twice. Once under the extended warranty, and unfortunately the second time on our dime.

I joined the forum because I am a Charger owner, and have a history of contributing helpful information to those in need hoping the favor might be returned when I am the one on need.
I don't mind being asked a question, and do my best to offer my experience when I feel it can be helpful.

Lately, a number of the posts here on several topics have come off as less then pleasant, with some in the "how dare you ask" or "who are you to ask" tone.
I thought we left all that behind in high school?

Don

#15 · (Edited)
Your entire post related, and it came across like I don't know what I'm talking about unless I can present a cost analysis, and that's why I responded as I did. If that wasn't your intent, sorry for being snarky with it. My original post was not to fit into everyone's personal experience, it was to point out that a warranty from a company that decides that your car isn't worth the cost of the repair so they refund the warranty price rather than honor the contract and make repairs is not a warranty. A warranty is a gamble; you are gambling that the car will need more repairs than the warranty costs during the warranty period, the warranty company is gambling that your car will need no repairs during the warranty period. If you were able to save with a warranty, I'm happy for you but how would you have felt if the warranty company had told you that the repair cost more than your car was worth, here's a check for what you paid for the warranty? You'd probably not be so happy with it.

If I pay for a warranty on my car and the engine blows 1 mile from the end of it, they'd better pay to replace that engine. I don't care if the car bluebooks for 20 bucks and a new engine is 20 grand. If the engine blows 1 mile after the warranty runs out, guess I'm the one writing that check but I'm not going to complain to the warranty company about it.

#16 ·
@ Mangoman:

No argument intended here, and I don't believe Telco was either.

@ Telco:

Your pleasant reply is appreciated. I apologize as well if if my question came off in that fashion. I truly was just wondering where you were coming from there. The thing I DON'T want is for this thread to mirror the many threads about motor oil that seem to carry on like dead people who continue to vote!

For all it's negatives, the internet has many great positives, and one of them is forums like this one where auto enthusiasts like all of us can share our experiences, and help each other take the best care possible of our fav rides. Some of us know a lot about a little, and some a little about a lot. The more we put into this knowledge base, the more we all will benefit.

As much as I am a car guy though, they are just cars. I believe that family and people in general are more important than any material thing. One can have all the money and toys they want, but the people one meets along our journey through life are what makes it worth living.

Don

#17 ·
I agree with you 110% Mr.Telco and I'm going to ask them your exact questions and see what they say. If they won't cover an engine at 99,999 miles as in your example then it's not worth it to me and I won't get it. If they say they will and I can get that in writing I'm going for the 100,000 plan.

#18 ·
Some things I will share from business that I know:
No company will ever give you more than the product is worth (everyone has a depreciation clause) look at your insurance company - buy a 50K car and in 5 years if you total it they pay you out 15K then they take the car and sale the parts off even if they can get more than what they paid you it still goes against your insurance as a 15K claim.

I had a ford with rust on it and had 5 weeks and 4,000 miles left on my original 3/36. The garage couldn't "fit" me in for almost 2 months and told me if they didn't take the car in it didn't start my warranty process effectively deigning me the factory warranty. I called the company and got the same answer. I really hope Dodge is different.

#19 ·
Lifetime warranty's especially for SRT's make a lot of sense. They Lose their value very slowly, Check for 2006-2008 SRT8 Charger/Challenger/Jeeps. For low Miles (under 60K) Grand Cherokee/Charger/Challenger SRT's are still asking between $20-$39K That's still a ton of coverage for that warranty.

#22 ·
Ah, gotcha.

Talked to the Mopar dude and he said that as long as the repair doesn't exceed the value if the car it'll be covered. So if an engine is $8000 so long as the car isn't worth only $5000 it'll be covered. If the Chargers value is anything like my G8 was I should be fine. My G8 was worth $15,500 in trade, private party sale was $21,000 so it should be ok.

#23 ·
When I bought my '15 Road and Track, the dealer matched an online price I had gotten. It was about 1500 for the 7 yr/85,000 miles. As far as repairs exceeding the value of the car, I believe it works like this. If the repair is 12,000 and the car is only worth 10,000 you get the 10,000 towards the repair and the extended warranty is then cancelled.

#24 ·
N8ECH, no worries.

Mangoman, they'll tell you anything. I'd make sure they tell you in writing.

Dragman - that sort of crap is one of the reasons I don't care for warranties. If you ever find yourself in this situation again, have a lawyer send them a letter advising them of the penalties of not honoring a contract.

Reactions: N8ECH
#26 ·
Speaking to any lawyers that handle car issues lemon law etc, Ford is completely defiant and will not do anything but force a court date. I traded the vehicle that day. I gave them the "do you know who I am speech" and since I have owned 48 fords in my life (and I listed them for them) I thought it would have maybe got me some favor, NOPE not a chance. I will never buy another new Ford for that reason only (will probably own a few more mustangs though)

#28 ·
Actually I was suggesting that the lawyer send a letter to the dealer telling them that they personally, not Ford, would be the ones in court.

Another avenue is to contact the local news channel that does expose's. Usually a call from a news station advising them of their upcoming story about the guy who was screwed by Joe's Ford will get them to fix the problem, even if it comes out of the dealer's pocket.

Bad publicity, or the possibility of being held accountable for both repairs and court costs, is usually enough to get the dealer to act. Whether the dealer is reimbursed by the factory or not is irrelevant, the dealer entered into a contract with you to provide a warranty and should be forced to honor their agreement.

But, you guys are correct on how they will act, I've experienced it myself, and what I'm suggesting doesn't always work. Up to you if you want to push it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.