Charger Forums banner

Any experiences supercharger

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  WDOM8KR 
#1 · (Edited)
Any bad experiences supercharger?

I was just wondering, i read a lot about the great gains and performance of superchargers but almost never read about anyone having trouble or bad experiences of it.
I just got my Phantom Black 2014 Dodge Charger SRT and is planing to install a Whipple 2.9 SC in a couple of months.
It would be interesting to hear if anyone has had any problems with it and what you should look out for.
For now it will be an install on stock engine but the plan is to have a stroker kit to 426 installed later on so the setup now will be with injectors, fuel system and so on that is capable to handle a bigger boost and a larger engine later on.
Looking for about 750-800 rwhp at the end.
Next year the plan is to upgrade the transmission and driveshafts before the final engine upgrade. Been looking at G-Force 9" differential & driveshaft kit as a possible way to go together with a new transmission.
it would be great if any of you guys or girls out there have any thoughts on this and any suggestions on choice of upgrades or "watch outs" is highly appreciated.

#2 ·
Congrats on the new ride.

If I can offer a bit of easy insurance I would recommend doing the internals before adding the blower. If something goes south in the tune, you could end up breaking the ring lands on the 392. It's a fragile engine to begin with when it comes to boost.

I would definitely build from the bottom up and then the engine back, especially with the numbers you're hoping to run.

That's the biggest "watch out" I can give you. Internals are cheap insurance and a strong foundation for any power adder.

#3 ·
I was just wondering, i read a lot about the great gains and performance of superchargers but almost never read about anyone having trouble or bad experiences of it.
I just got my Phantom Black 2014 Dodge Charger SRT and is planing to install a Whipple 2.9 SC in a couple of months.
It would be interesting to hear if anyone has had any problems with it and what you should look out for.
For now it will be an install on stock engine but the plan is to have a stroker kit to 426 installed later on so the setup now will be with injectors, fuel system and so on that is capable to handle a bigger boost and a larger engine later on.
Looking for about 750-800 rwhp at the end.
Next year the plan is to upgrade the transmission and driveshafts before the final engine upgrade. Been looking at G-Force 9" differential & driveshaft kit as a possible way to go together with a new transmission.
it would be great if any of you guys or girls out there have any thoughts on this and any suggestions on choice of upgrades or "watch outs" is highly appreciated.
If you are planning on doing the 426 later (Within a year) Stay under 5-6Lbs if you're planning on doing the 426 more than a year away, add drop pistons. They're only like $800 and it will save your engine down the line.

As it's been mentioned it's all in the tune, but even then it can still go south in a hurry if you get some bad gas or another issue pops up. I'd recommend High Horse Performance or Demon Performance for a tune or a well known local Mopar tuner.

The picture below is a Buddy's 2014 300 SRT it was on 6lbs for 8months and 8lbs for 2 months before it blew. Now he's having a forged kit installed, still sucks though.

#4 ·
After reconsidering I will start with preparing the engine for FI. I will get a short- or a long block with all forged internals, steel rings on the pistons and low CR (9,5) and get it installed before looking into the SC. The question is where the best buy is. Been in touch with Arrington and got a quote on a short block but need ideas for other engine builders to contact. Since I need to have it shipped to Sweden we are talking about serious costs so I need to get it right the first time. The choice will probably bee a long block since I then have the stock engine as a reserve. So I am open for any suggestions that you can help me with.

#5 · (Edited)
I would think you could build a short block cheaper than you could having someone else like Arrington to do it. I can't seem to find a stroker kit from Eagle or Scat, they would probably be cheapest if you give them a call. They did the 496 Stroker on my '72 Nova 454. Here are a couple options I found online though.

392 Stroker kit $3k - http://www.modernmusclextreme.com/p...troker-kits-by-modern-muscle-performance.aspx

392 based 426 Stroker Short Blockl $5k - http://www.modernmusclextreme.com/p...k-64l-based-by-modern-muscle-performance.aspx

392 Based 426 Short Block $4.6k - http://www.shophemi.com/p-2572-arrington-426-short-block.aspx

392 based 426 Short Block $5k - http://www.highhorseperformance.com/HHP_BES_426_SRT_8_HEMI_Stroker_SB_HHP426SB_p/hhp42664sb.htm

392 Based 42 6 Short Block $5k - https://www.a2speed.com/p-2705-ray-...i-engine-to-426-hemi-stroker-short-block.aspx

If you habla any espanol you can call these guys, they built a 392 Forged Short block for my buddy for $2800 and rebuilt my 5.7 for $1100 - https://www.facebook.com/ElPinoHeadShop2013/ not sure if they could or would ship outside the U.S.

IMO your best bet for the money is to do drop pistons and supercharge it. a 426 is only going to be a modest increase in power without other significant mods such as Heads, Headers, Cam, etc. Drop pistons are about $800 I think, plus a supercharger for the same amount as a short block and you're at 650HP+ unless you have the deep pockets for both it's just not worth it IMO.

Also keep in mind a boost oriented 426 is going to have lower compression, so without the supercharger it might be at the same power level as your existing 392.

#6 ·
If your getting a whipple definitely change the tensioner on it because a few have had issues with it throwing belts. Would look into the Gt500 or ARS tensioner and I personally wouldn't go over 8 psi on the stock block even though I know a few guys running between 9-10 and didn't have any issues

#7 ·
Talk to OST dyno before doing anything. They have a ton of people running Whipples at 8-10 lbs of boost without issue reliably. And it's asinine when everyone keeps telling you that if you forge you will no longer break. That's B.S. If your tune isn't right I don't care what you have, you will break it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.