Charger Forums banner

Mystery of Hellcat Oil Volume 2015/2016 vs 2017

33K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  Slidd 
#1 · (Edited)
It has been noted that the 2015 and 2016 6.2L Supercharged Hellcat engines take 5.9 quarts of oil based on Chrysler's references. However, the new 2017 has an oil volume rated at 7 quarts.

Isaacmaple08 and I have been investigating what is the deal with the differences. We initially thought that maybe there was a larger pan to accomodate the extra 1.1 quarts.

I checked with Rick at the dealership and no, same part number for all 3....15, 16 and 17. We double checked the cooler lines....same. We investigated the oil cooler volume.......same.

What it has come down to is a different oil dipstick tube and different dipstick! :jawdrop: Presently the tube is available for purchase but the dipstick is not available yet. We have the part number but 0.00 on cost and sell from Chrysler in the system.

So apparently what Chrysler is doing is adding 1.1 quarts of oil and changing the dipstick. It is believed that the Hellcat Challengers and Hellcat Chargers can add the extra 1.1 quarts and then mark/awl the new level on the present 2015 and 2016 car's dipsticks.

We are still in the investigation phase but wanted to relay the information as we are determining it.;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

See less See more
#3 ·
You'd think the engine temp's would run high or something, if they didn't have enough oil in them? :confused:

Has anyone with an older Hellcat had an oil test done?

#10 ·
Several of the guys on the Hellcat forums are adding the 1.1 Quarts and then Notching or taking a dremel to the dipstick.

This weekend I have a 1000 mile trip down to Texas and it is for sure what I will be doing before heading down. Even with the built in "Catch Can" SRT put on these, my BT Can still picks up a ton of blow-by.

I'm not sure if that's how people are running 1-2 quarts low but it's a contributing factor, and a pretty bad one IMO.

#13 ·
Well, Isaacmaple08 changed his Hellcat oil to the 7.5w40 Racing Version QuantumBlue and filled it up to 7 quarts with our filter. He measured the new level and then proceeded to drive to TX....over 2000 miles. He added the ACES IV and the oil this trip.

The car ran great and kept great oil pressure and was quieter and smoother according to Isaac. So far the 7 quarts in the 5.9 qt system has been flawless. :bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#14 ·
Idling waiting to pick my brother up, highest I've seen it go is 73 on a cold(ish) spirited sprint to 80MPh on the on ramp. No complaints at all :)

Attachments

#15 ·
That's crazy (in a good way). I usually see 38 or so on cold start and down to 29 once the oil is warmed (210-220F).

I'll have to do some WOT pulls and see how it is but if memory serves it's usually in the high 60s. Sustained on the highway in both the Scat and the R/T it's usually around 55-56 at 2.2-2.5K RPMs.

Glad the car feels better on 7 quarts. I always wondered why they went to slightly less than six. That never seemed like enough.

#18 ·
Your welcome. I am working on your question you asked me. Will have an answer today for you on the FJ.:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#22 · (Edited)
No, not at all.

The Hellcats for 2015 and 2016 are specified to have 5.9 quarts in the engine and with the 2017 Hellcat, they have changed it to 7 quarts. All the Hellcat owners from 2015 and 2016 have been wondering why the 6.4L and 5.7L get 7 quarts and theirs only got 5.9 quarts in the system. This is specifically for the 6.2L NOT the 6.4L which would take 7 quarts.

We have determined that the 2017 is a change in the dipstick and tube assembly only and that the pans, cooler lines and oil cooler are exactly the same. Your 2015 is fine with 7 quarts and you did fine.

Obviously, when we make oils for the 6.2L and the 6.4L we make the 7.5w40 Racing Oils that smooth out the 6.2L and 6.4L. Each customer has commented how much smoother and quieter these engines are.

I hope this is clearer for you.:bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#26 ·
It was a bit cold out but I idled in the garage for a bit after a spirited bit of driving.

I'd say it looks good. Temps were almost identical down in Texas as well, just didn't take pictures. I haven't seen the coolant go over 212. Oil is usually between 198 and 210.

Looking great so far!

Attachments

#27 ·
Got a quick update,

Looks like the new part number for the Dipstick is out if anyone with a hellcat wants one. I ordered mine just now. P/N: 53010823AA - http://www.quirkparts.com/oe-mopar/53010823aa

A guy on the Hellcat forums has confirmed it is a slight bit smaller.

#28 ·
Remember that the dipstick tube AND the dipstick are different. From what I can see the new stick will not fit the old tube but let me know Isaac.

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.