Charger Forums banner

New Tire Suggestions

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  '88Scrat 
#1 ·
So the tires that came stock with my 2014 RT are already shot; Firestone Firehawk GT. They all failed the penny test miserably. This is concerning because my car has less than 30,000 miles on the clock...

I don't lay rubber at every stoplight, try to avoid hard turns, and generally, for what the this car is capable of, drive it pretty easy (no one believes me but that's another story).

Dealer told me that these particular tires don't do well do well on the LX frame and Dodge is looking at other options.

Can't cry over spilled milk so I'm looking for other suggestions. Not picky on Performance vs All-Season at the moment, just want to see what other owners suggest.

#2 ·
I've had two Chargers on the Firehawks and think you did well to make 30K. My 12 R/T chewed them up in 24K and my 14 R/T is still going at 20K but they don't look great. I drive much the same way that you do. I also have a Scat Pack and plan on removing the factory Goodyear 245's from that car and putting them on the R/T. The Scat will get 275s all the way around as it should have had from the factory.

What you want to do depends on how long you want the tires to last and what you want to spend. Here's a search on Tire Rack to give you an idea sorted from low price to high:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...WD&autoModClar=R/T&sortCode=59851&tireIndex=1

Take a look at the Tire Rack test ratings and also some customer reviews (for similar vehicles if they have them) and make your choice based on the way you drive, the conditions and how much you'd like to spend.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Andy

#3 ·
I replaced my Firehawks when I messed up one of the sidewalls at 10K miles. I got Nitto Motivos based on some recommendations here. I've gone a little over 30K on them since then including one track day. They've been doing well but the next rotation may be my last.

I'm thinking about trying summer tires for my next set. I know they won't last as long but I'm curious about whether I'd notice the performance difference.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
Yeah you will notice a performance difference. If I were in LA I would be running summer tires year round. I am in Indiana so I have to run Blizzaks in the winter. All seasons just don't cut it for me. I have Michelin PSS on my Scat Pack in the summer, and I ran Continental DW summers on my G8 GT. I was far more satisfied with the summers than with all seasons. And good summer tires will do well on wet pavement too.

GTO_04

#5 ·
my firehawks were getting low at 25k miles, had it been april instead of september, I could have gotten another 3-4k out of them....but I wouldn't have made it through the winter. I replaced with continental extremecontact DWS's and have nearly 40k miles on them, they have been very good in all weather conditions, including snow, and I haven't even wore down to the snow traction wear indicators yet. I strongly recommend them as great all around HP tires.

Reactions: GTO_04
#8 ·
Leaning towards a set of BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2

I like the Michelins but the cheapest I've been able to find them installed and balanced was pushing $1300 and I don't have that kinda chedder laying around.

Anyone running these the G-Force Sport Comp-2 BFGs?

#12 ·
I'm getting 255/45/20 g force comp 2s put on as we speak. Putting em on just the back right now because my current fronts are still good. I'll let you know results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I see you already went with BFGs, but Continental makes a fine tire. It's what I've been putting on everything for the last 5 years. They handle all road conditions great. They are the worst on ice, where they only rate excellent instead of superior.

On the Firestones, my personal recommendation to anyone with a Firestone tire is to have your car trailered to the nearest tire shop, ensuring that both the tow truck driver and the tire shop personnel are wearing bomb disposal wear until the tires are deflated, then change them for anything else. Even Goodyears are better than Firestones and, as we all know, Goodyears are made from used condoms. They melt down 365 of them, make them into a tire and call it a Goodyear.

#15 ·
After only a few days I gotta say I'm impressed with the BFGs. There is a very noticeable difference dir the bwtter in ride quality and traction from the Firestone tires. Part of this I'm sure is because they are brand new but I don't ever remember having this level of control ability before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.