Charger Forums banner

Soon-to-be Charger owner - few questions

4K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  sal jc 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

Metro Detroit guy here, Newbie on Charger Forums, not a newbie to Mopar :)

Soon, I'll be heading in for a Dodge Charger SXT AWD. I needed a car that would be : Fun for a daily driver, very occasional (couple times a year) track use, AWD since I'm in Michigan, within budget, looks badass.

Would have loved it if the 5.7L Daytona was available with AWD, but oh well...

I have a few questions for the knowledgable members here, prior to the purchase. I plan to purchase it inside a month.

Custom build options : Black exterior, black Premium Cloth Seats upgrade, Rallye Group, Blacktop Package, Drivers Convenience Group,
Nav & Travel (undecided), Power Sunroof (undecided)

1. The Blacktop Package comes with Hyperblack wheels. Can anyone please upload a pic of these wheels on their car?
The standard shiny SXT AWD don't appeal to me. The spokes are not attractive, but it looks way too chromy for my taste, but the Hyperblack wheels from the Blacktop Package look great.

2. Does the car come with Apple Carplay? I did remember seeing it is Android auto compatible. I will skip Nav and Travel group if it is Carplay friendly.

3. How does it handle in the snow, being primarily RWD, but AWD ready when needed? I'm yet to drive a Challenger or Charger with an AWD in snowy weather. I have driven a friend's Challenger Scat Pack in inclement weather and it wasn't that great at all.

4. Black exterior, black interior, black wheels would give it a mysterious look as an advantage. If I had to go for a second color, I have granite in mind.
Is the Destroyer Gray as dull as it looks on the Dodge website? Any other colors that are worth looking at in person - Octane Red?
If I go for Granite, i'll get the black roof!

5. Has anyone taken this car to a track day? I know it's not Hellcat or 392 level of fast, but can the brakes and severe duty engine cooling handle at least a few laps of spirited driving?

6. When is the next refresh expected? if it's MY2018, i'm ready to wait a year!

Hope to own this kickass car soon, enjoy it year round and contribute to this forum!:grin2:

See less See more
#3 ·
Unless the SXT blacktop package is different then the R/T blacktop package the wheels are gloss black and not hyper black. The hyper black is on the non blacktop cars.

And don't forget just cause it's a blacktop car does not mean it has a black roof, that's yet another option. ;)

#4 · (Edited)
AWD is different

Blacktop Appearance Group
•19-Inch x 7.5-Inch Alum Painted Hyperblack Wheels (Unavailable with some configurations)
•Gloss Black Fascia Applique (Unavailable with some configurations)
•Rhombi 2-Piece Wheel Center Cap (Unavailable with some configurations)
A Rhombi two-piece wheel center cap is available for your Dodge Charger.

#5 ·
No Blacktop with AWD, Blacktop is RWD only. All AWD cars will get those shiny 19-inch wheels you don't like, sorry. [emoji1]

On the Apple Car Play, as long as you get an 8.4 radio it will have it.

The Destroyer Gray is just one of those colors that you either love or hate. It really is out there! My personal opinion is that it needs stripes or Daytona decals and black wheels to help balance it out because it is just such an unusual color and one that must be seen in person.

The Octane Red is nice but I've heard comments that it should be called Old People Red lol so that's another one you gotta see.

Granite Crystal is just one of those classic Charger colors and they always look good in Granite.

Cosmetic refresh supposedly coming for 2019, all new car 2 or 3 years after that.

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Still not a fan of those wheels even if they do come in hyperblack. They need to offer a different style rim in the 19" for the awd not just taking the same rim they have used for years and painting it black. I liked the 2012 awd Sport package rims with the black pockets myself. But a guy could always upgrade.

#12 ·
Ok I think I figured it out. There is a Blacktop available for AWD but it is basically only a wheel package. You get the same 19-inch AWD wheels but in a Hyperblack finish and aside from a black front fascia, that's it. The price is only $495 so guess that's why you don't get the full package.

On the RWD, you get a lot more equipment and real black 20-inch wheels and black spoiler along with the cool interior stuff and steering wheel for $1,195.

The AWD with the Rallye Group would look exactly the same as AWD Blacktop so guess this was a way to get the appearance of the Hyperblack wheels without having to take the Beats audio that comes with the Rallye Group. It's $900 more for Rallye at $1,395.

Good thread, didn't realize this. I guess the upcoming Challenger GT will use the same Hyperblack wheel.

#13 · (Edited)
I have a 2016 RWD 5.7 and it's not bad in the snow at all. We had several inches come down this winter and it handled it pretty well, plus I went to Nebraska last week where there was a foot of snow on the ground. Tires are an important factor in how well a car does. If your friend's Challenger had high performance summer tires then it would be a bear, but a decent set of all weathers or even a spare set of wheels with snow tires would make a night and day difference in how your car handles the snow. Plus, you drive like there's an egg under the gas pedal and you won't have problems. So, IMO you don't have to get an AWD, just drive sensibly with decent tires when it's white outside and you'll be fine.

I'll add on that having all the wheels turn isn't a magical go anywhere option. Where I am, every time it snows hard the guys with the 4x4s get out on the roads and drive bumper to bumper going 70-80MPH. And the day after, there are 4x4s all over the place, on their sides or on their roofs.

Reactions: Slidd
#16 ·
Exactly! Very sneaky and questionable marketing on the FCA there.

Can't remember what the AWD offset was but there's got to be a black 20 inch wheel that could be used to separate it from the million other AWD's.

#17 ·
I'll comment solely on the snow driving as I've had both. You'll be impressed with the AWD. I drove it in the January 2016 Northeast blizzard. I never had an issue with traction in the AWD, granted if I stepped on it a little too hard I could get the 5.7's rear to fishtail a bit. Clearance was more of an issue, even with the raised 1st gen AWD. It's night and day compared to my RWD 392. I had the SRT in a dusting and it was ok, but I definitely didn't feel the security did with the AWD. Especially with the twisting, hilly back roads of Central PA the all-wheel drive was definitely a bonus. I'd feel comfortable in the 392 on main, flat roads in up to a few inches, but when the roads aren't plowed as frequently the AWD will get you to where you need to be.

#21 ·
...I have driven a friend's Challenger Scat Pack in inclement weather and it wasn't that great at all...
These cars are actually pretty good in the snow if you have the proper TIRES and don't drive like an a**hole. So many people either use factory tires, cheap out on replacement tires, or drive like a straight-up a** and then blame the car for poor traction. Bothers the crap out of me lol

Speaking from experience here, I never had a problem even in deep snow with my RWD 2010 Charger SXT, but that's probably because it costs me about $850 - $1,000 every time I put tires on her.. Would I be better off with the Limited Slip Differential from a Challenger? Hell yeah. Do I need it? Not if I know my place in bad weather. Remember, traction control and stability program are only there to assist--they don't let you defy the laws of physics. It's all about the tires you have and your ability to drive a RWD car, bud. That's just my $0.02 :grin2:

Reactions: VicKing
#23 · (Edited)
AWD Blacktop window sticker

http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=2C3CDXJG2HH541634

Blacktop Appearance Group:
19-Inch x 7.5-Inch Alum Painted Hyperblack Wheels
Delete Badge
Rhombi 2-Piece Wheel Center Cap
Gloss Black Fascia Applique
Satin Black One-Piece Performance Spoiler
Dark Brushed II Interior Accents
Gloss Black Interior and Exterior Accents
Leather-Wrapped Performance Steering Wheel
Satin Black "Charger" Decklid Badge

#24 ·
AWD Blacktop window sticker

http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=2C3CDXJG2HH541634

Blacktop Appearance Group:
19-Inch x 7.5-Inch Alum Painted Hyperblack Wheels
Delete Badge
Rhombi 2-Piece Wheel Center Cap
Gloss Black Fascia Applique
Satin Black One-Piece Performance Spoiler
Dark Brushed II Interior Accents
Gloss Black Interior and Exterior Accents
Leather-Wrapped Performance Steering Wheel
Satin Black "Charger" Decklid Badge
Well there you go. The Dodge Build and Price says otherwise but the window sticker has to be right. Guess the only difference then is the wheels so that $495 is a bargain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.